Steering assist without engine running

Hi, I hate that the steering assist is powered down when the start/stop system is working. The Fabia's steering assist is 100% electric, so I believed that it was designed to have the assistance enabled without the engine running. 
Now I've a 15.7.0 VCDS cable, and I found this option:
44- Steering Assist -> Adaptation-> Activation of pwr steering asst without engine running-> NOT ACTIVE

I tryed activating it, and save. It seems that it saved the settings, but not. When I enter again, the value is always NOT ACTIVE.

I think that this can be a good improvement for all of us. Does anyone have steering assistance when the engine is off?

Sorry by my bad English. Thanks.

A lot of cars have steering assist powered on when start/stop is turning off the engine. Peugeot/Citroën, Renault... 

And you can see the option on the VCDS menu, so is feasible I think.

I want this because sometimes I want to move the steering wheel before moving the car, I think that everybody has been any time on this situation.

Furthermore the electric motor won't waste any energy if you don't move the steering wheel, so no drain of battery with normal use.

I don't like the default mode with this no assisted steering wheel and the engine's ignition when you do a lot of force. The steering wheel should be always assisted without making the engine ignition again, like other cars do.

Turning the wheels when car is not moving is something we have taught not to do. It stresses the ball joints more that way. And in Nordic countries where we usually use winter tyres with studs, that kind of behavior removes the studs from the tires.

Hi, I hate that the steering assist is powered down when the start/stop system is working. The Fabia's steering assist is 100% electric, so I believed that it was designed to have the assistance enabled without the engine running. 
Now I've a 15.7.0 VCDS cable, and I found this option:
44- Steering Assist -> Adaptation-> Activation of pwr steering asst without engine running-> NOT ACTIVE

I tryed activating it, and save. It seems that it saved the settings, but not. When I enter again, the value is always NOT ACTIVE.

I think that this can be a good improvement for all of us. Does anyone have steering assistance when the engine is off?

Sorry by my bad English. Thanks.

You could always disable start/stop whenever you feel the urge to 'play' with your steering while stationary.

• Like 1

djduese: I have the 15.7 cable working with the 15.7.0 program. (chinese cable)

Wino: Yes, I can disable start/stop, but this implies turning on the engine, while other cars can do it without the engine running. Not efficient. Imagine that you 've stationed the car directly on the place and in this case the start/stop will power down your engine. Do you want to turn on the engine again only to put the front wheels on the correct position?

SmurfWagon: Maybe you're right... but I can't see why we can't do it. It's better for the life of the ignition engine and in some cases it can save some gasoline without generating any issue.

This can help everybody, not just a person with a fake cable. In addition the question is not about the cable or the PC software. Is about the car's software. The way to change it is indifferent, the bus to access to the car is not a closed platform and can be accessed even with arduino if you want.

And I insist, the question is about the car, not the way to access to it, either the cable or the software. You can do not answer because of this, but this means that if anyone with an original cable is reading this, is interested and asks for the same you will respond and I will read it. I think that it's the same. Probably some people with the original cable is reading this, you can assume that you're responding for them. Anyway I've tested all the options and I didn't enabled this option, I think that it's not possible on the Fabia. Maybe is not possible on any VAG car, I don't know if Audi cars do the same, is a good question.

That is your opinion. 

you have buy a cheap piracy product, so you have - in my opinion - no rights to get any help for that. Ross-Tech and many many people do a lot of things, to get this software work and that work had to be paid. You don't pay for that work, so you have no rights to get any support for it

Besides that, although you have the original cable, if you enable any option of any car without paying the license to the brand (like cornering) it's piracy too. In this case the people with original cables are equally pirating than the people with chinese cables. 

Why not answering if everybody is in the same condition?

Seeing with this point of view, change any thing on the car is piracy, or maybe "semi-piracy" . Remember that we are not the propietary of the car's software and because of this, legally  we can't modify anything. And I think that everyone with a cable (chinese or original) have bought it to modify something of his car.

changing on car is no piracy. It's only activating some options, that are implemented in the Controller but only deactivated. The software, you used is cracked. it is stolen software, that is manipulated to work with an cheap cable

In addition, if this is considered a different piracy than get an original cable and modify things, I can say that I will go to get the changes to the official Skoda workshop. I think that this is not piracy. You can consider that the chinese cable is only for orientation to know what to say to the mechanic. I think that go to Skoda to get the mods is original, right?

regards

Of Course, everyone with an chinese cable bought it only to look, how something could be enabled and then drive to an skoda garage, to let them make this.  :D

This is the craziest thing, I have ever heard

Not so crazy looking at the warranty of the car.

The works on official skoda garage are covered. Home modifications are not, with any kind of cable.

Exemption to copyright:

Computer programs that are contained in and control the functioning of a motorized land vehicle such as a personal automobile, commercial motor vehicle or mechanized agricultural vehicle, except for computer programs primarily designed for the control of telematics or entertainment systems for such vehicle, when circumvention is a necessary step undertaken by the authorized owner of the vehicle to allow the diagnosis, repair or lawful modification of a vehicle function; and where such circumvention does not constitute a violation of applicable law, including without limitation regulations promulgated by the Department of Transportation or the Environmental Protection Agency; and provided, however, that such circumvention is initiated no earlier than 12 months after the effective date of this regulation.

The rule does mean that only the owner of the vehicle can perform the task or the owner of the software (VAG). So, in theory, people on this site cant offer to do any coding for other members but if they loaned the equipment and knowledge to the vehicle owner then that wouldn't be a problem?  It's strange that by the law, you cant play around with the entertainment system..... The exemption was given 28 Oct 2015 so not long to wait until you can legally play with the cars ECU's other than entertainment systems and telematics that is.

Edited to shorten, waffled on a bit.

Edited by andy-fisher

^^^

We do not worry too much on the Volkswagen Group and Software and ECUs. 

as they installed Defeat Devices in 11 million vehicles world wide and seem only interested in making compensation terms with 1/2 a million in the US of A.

I would be fun to see the VW Group suing anyone for anything concerning Copyright of Software.

As to Environmental Protection Agency or Department of Transportation in the post above which every country that is,

time they get tore into VAG if they have not already.

Summarizing: no answer to know if any VAG car or the Fabia can power the steering assist while start/stop is running. I imagine that VW and Audi do the same, and I can't understand it. It's possible with the electric assistance, better for the car, saves fuel and more comfortable for the user. 

I only posted that as there seemed to be an argument going on about buying dodgy VCDS cables and hacked software. I don't own a VCDS cable as I can't afford one. I don't want a hacked copy as you can't update it or get the Ross-tech support and a copy may not even work. I have however had a remap and am looking at a few retro fits which will require a bit of VCDS action. I only piped up as I thought if there were arguments about which cable you can and can't buy, why not point out that the cars own software is copyrighted and buying a Ross-tech cable does not give you the software rights to the vehicle, just the VCDS software, unless I have missed the small print somewhere on their website. It's just that someone with a hacked copy of VCDS is breaking two separate software copyrights rather than one.

The new exemption was passed as it was felt that a vehicle owner has the right to repair their own vehicle but with limitations.

I also just like to hear people's thoughts and hopefully be proved wrong so I can sleep better at night about my remap. ;)

Just to add to the mix

From Ross-Tech website

"VCDS", "VCDS-Mobile" and "HEX-NET" are Registered Trademarks of Ross-Tech, LLC.

Ross-Tech is not affiliated with the Volkswagen Group in any way.