Oil mystery

So my Fabia has been out the garage 2 week after some engine work but now we have an oil issue. My car oil light came on the other day so I thought it had a faulty sensor as I knew my car had an oil change a week before. So I checked the dip stick and it was saying empty so I put 1 litre in in case the dip stick was giving a false reading. Later that day the engine light came on so took it in and the garage said the engine was running rich. 2 days later oil light comes back on so I put another litre in and took it to the garage. They checked all around and could see no signs of a leak. So they checked the oil and it is defiantly empty so it's went through nearly 6 litres in 2 weeks.

They suspect it's burning off if it's not leaking. But there has been no noticeable smoke from the exhaust.

They are going to open the engine up again (cost of work covered by warranty of last work) to see if they can find out what's going on.

I know some fabias have oil issues but does this fit the bill?

Is this your 2008 Fabia?

What engine are you talking about here?

Something is obviously far wrong, so what kind of engine work was done, why and who has done it and needs to srt out what ever they have done wrong while repairing it.

?

What oil did they put in and keep adding more of now?

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Yeah it's a 2008 1.2 petrol. It had head gasket and timing chain done. They used 5w/30 fully synthetic oil and that's what I used to top up. Not sure on the brand the garage used but I used halfords own brand.

The work was carried out by a local mechanic.

Edited by bigad85

Lots easier if you tell the story and give the details.

The Cylinder head gasket had gone then if it needed changing.

Was the head checked? 

Was all OK before the head going and was it just coolant use that was the issue, or was there oil useage before that.

How many miles has the car (engine) done, and how long had you owned it before you needed to do a Cylinder Head Gasket & Timing Chain?

Was there any service history with the car when you got it, or had you had it for long enough.

ie 

you know it had not had K-Seal put in the engine or such like?

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I've only had The car since October. About a month ago I was driving home from a camping trip and the engine light came on and I had instant loss of power. AA came out changes coil packs and sparks and checked electrics with no joy. Took it to garage they said 1 cylinder wasn't working at all and other 2 were working below standard. So they changed the head and the valves changed the timing belt out new air and oil filters in and all seemed well until oil light came on.

The car didn't come with a service history but my mechanic said the engine wasn't in good shape and said it was caked in grease and oil and he thinks that's what's chipped the valve and caused the initial issue.

The car as just under 78,000 on the clock.

Edited by bigad85

I remember now.

So in the thread where the whole job was done for 'Much Cheapness' at a non VAT Registered garage.

EDIT.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/401340-engine-failure

See post #31. About covers it.

Seems like the job not done right then, if actually done as by the Invoice.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I remember now.

So in the thread where the whole job was done for 'Much Cheapness' at a non VAT Registered garage.

EDIT.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/401340-engine-failure

See post #31. About covers it.

Seems like the job not done right then, if actually done as by the Invoice.

To your opinion , since you say that ''job was not done right'' what might be the problem? 

Edited by ThomasItis

Not a scooby, but then i have not the engine in front of me, head off.  Even if i had i would not know.

But post #31 in the linked thread is a pretty good one as to the likely cause.

But the OP's posts on what was said and done and money spent is a comedy of errors sadly.

I've read the post and the topic from the beginning and there were many blanks to the story, ok with that, but why did the engine start having issues 2 weeks after the ''rebuild'' and not immediately after the car was delivered to him? It was working nice when the garage delivered the car.

@Bigad85 did the car had issues with oil consumption before it broke down at first place?

Edited by ThomasItis

One thing you never know with Trusted Mechanics is what they put in with the Oil when doing a 'cheap fix',

Plenty of products that can 'fix' some issues for a while or even longer.

(got the T-Shirt, bought the odd one at auction that had 'products' in with the oil, or sometimes the coolant.)

Just been in touch with the mechanic and it's the PCV valve that's damaged. He said it was covered in old oil and grease due to a poor service history. This wasn't linked to the work he originally done althought I assume that when doing the work it has triggered a straw that broke the camels back style issue that has caused it to go. He has ordered a new part and will hopefully have it sorted in the next few days.

• 6 months later...

I think they are related. Garage told me the oil leak was due to corrosion so he patched hole up with putty. But RAC said engine was burning excessive oil.

I don't think cylinder misfire issue was properly fixed first time and has deteriorated.