Superb Estate brake upgrade

Hello All,

I am a newbie to the forum - looking for advice on upgrading brakes on a 2013 Superb Estate 4x4.  The brakes have always been a little, well underwhelming, have got new discs, pads and changed fluid, but they remain  a little on the side of just adequate.  Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers.  Mark

Sounds like something is off. The stock brakes are very effective IME. If you know someone with VCDS, you could check what the brake assist is set at. Make sure the lines are properly bled. Typically you should be bleeding off 500 ml of fluid per corner to ensure a complete bleed. There's a specific procedure for bleeding the ABS pump too - it would be worth having that done (requires VCDS or similar). It'll require a litre or two of fluid to do this properly IIRC.

I've had/having issues with my brakes, one of my calipers (osr) is 'lazy' and needs to be replaced, but I've been experiencing a very strange problem where I've had to replace two sets of front discs due to warping, weirdly the brake pads dont seem to be wearing down yet the discs seem to be warping and now my recent front discs ( now third set) that have only covered about 15k tops have gone the same way,

I'm thinking that maybe with the rear caliper not working correctly that this could somehow lead to an over load on the front to compensate for the rear, however, surely that would make the pads wear too.... which they dont seem to be doing, it's a massive puzzle both for me and my mechanic.   

Ok thanks for all the comments and advice.  Will have a good look again, bleed off more fluid and check pads over.  Will also look at at some harder pads for the front as someone recommended.  Ta. Mark

The repeated disk warping may be caused by overtightened wheel nuts - if it happens again get a dial gauge on it and see if there are 5 high spots evenly spaced around the disk. Also check the cleanliness of the surface of the hub flange the disk is clamped against. I assume the disks are OEM quality parts, if not then this may be your problem. Spending long periods dragging the brakes lightly can also lead to warping. Using the brakes harder for shorter periods keeps the disk surfaces in better order.

The repeated disk warping may be caused by overtightened wheel nuts - if it happens again get a dial gauge on it and see if there are 5 high spots evenly spaced around the disk. Also check the cleanliness of the surface of the hub flange the disk is clamped against. I assume the disks are OEM quality parts, if not then this may be your problem. Spending long periods dragging the brakes lightly can also lead to warping. Using the brakes harder for shorter periods keeps the disk surfaces in better order.

I had the front tyres replaced recently and I was really pleased to see the fitters using a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts rather than air drivers.

I am going to be fitting Black Diamond discs all round on mine when time comes as I  feel with the car fully loaded (which it usually is) that it lacks the bite of other cars I have..
I fitted these to a Meriva I have as a loaner car and could not believe the difference ( I fitted them because it stands most of the year not getting used and the disc were rusting every year. Black diamond have a high carbon spec and dont rust anywhere near  as fast).
£108.68 for 288 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Superb-2-3T-All-Models-288mm-08on-Black-Diamond-6-Grv-Fr-Discs-KBD1292G6-/120895090612?hash=item1c25e8afb4:m:m0bKrJDuZLTvVhsXmCxHMUA

But im going to 312mm as well :devil: 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Superb-2-3T-All-Models-312mm-08on-Black-Diamond-6-Grv-Fr-Discs-KBD1353G6-/120895090186?hash=item1c25e8ae0a:m:m0bKrJDuZLTvVhsXmCxHMUA

Edited by DEL80Y

If you brake heavily and heat the discs up then when stopped at the lights you keep your foot on the brake that will warp them. also I've bought cheapo discs online  and they've warped so I've ended up buying decent  motor factor ones to replace them.

Edited by peterposh

• 2 months later...

I am going to be fitting Black Diamond discs all round on mine when time comes as I  feel with the car fully loaded (which it usually is) that it lacks the bite of other cars I have..

I fitted these to a Meriva I have as a loaner car and could not believe the difference ( I fitted them because it stands most of the year not getting used and the disc were rusting every year. Black diamond have a high carbon spec and dont rust anywhere near  as fast).

£108.68 for 288 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Superb-2-3T-All-Models-288mm-08on-Black-Diamond-6-Grv-Fr-Discs-KBD1292G6-/120895090612?hash=item1c25e8afb4:m:m0bKrJDuZLTvVhsXmCxHMUA

But im going to 312mm as well :devil: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Superb-2-3T-All-Models-312mm-08on-Black-Diamond-6-Grv-Fr-Discs-KBD1353G6-/120895090186?hash=item1c25e8ae0a:m:m0bKrJDuZLTvVhsXmCxHMUA

How are these discs performing mate?  Did you mean you put 312mm discs on the fronts?

How are these discs performing mate?  Did you mean you put 312mm discs on the fronts?

Replaced the tyres yesterday for Uniroyal Rainsport 3s and when the wheels were of I measured the brakes and there is still plenty left on pads after doing over 20,000 miles and the discs front and rear are still like new with minimal wear

I had been previously advised that it would be 288 discs as it was a 140bhp but it has 312s fitted as standard maybe because its 4x4 ....So no need to change the disc to larger diameter. I am not going down the route of 345 discs as this is calipers required as well not just the carriers for 288 to 312s ..

So looking at just getting better pads front and rear next month then changing  discs next time around... :sun: 

But as for the Black Diamond  discs I fitted to my Meriva they are stilll excellent witth no corrosion at all and well worth the money so much so that the MOT tester that tested the car has now upgraded his Astra with Black Diamond disc and pads :D   

• Like 1

Replaced the tyres yesterday for Uniroyal Rainsport 3s and when the wheels were of I measured the brakes and there is still plenty left on pads after doing over 20,000 miles and the discs front and rear are still like new with minimal wear

I had been previously advised that it would be 288 discs as it was a 140bhp but it has 312s fitted as standard maybe because its 4x4 ....So no need to change the disc to larger diameter. I am not going down the route of 345 discs as this is calipers required as well not just the carriers for 288 to 312s ..

So looking at just getting better pads front and rear next month then changing  discs next time around... :sun: 

But as for the Black Diamond  discs I fitted to my Meriva they are stilll excellent witth no corrosion at all and well worth the money so much so that the MOT tester that tested the car has now upgraded his Astra with Black Diamond disc and pads :D   

Many thanks for the reply DEL80Y.  Really useful info and i think will order the same for my 170.  I used your link on ebay and asked them if i can use 312s on the fronts which would be nice if i could without any changes to anything else.  As for brake pads i've always used EBC with previous cars such as my Honda Civic and just recently bought the YELLOW STUFF for the rears of the Skoda and will do the same for the fronts,

use 312s on the fronts which would be nice if i could without any changes to anything else.  

If yours is a 170 it will defo have 312s fitted.

To change from 288 to 312s you only change caliper carrier everything else is the same.

I am  looking at Black Diamond pads all round now as have had some bad experiences with EBC back in the day of XR2s.

I was going to get these carriers from XMANTURBOS 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/281015-brake-caliper-carriers-for-288mm-312mm-upgrade-octavia-golf-leon/

• Like 1

If yours is a 170 it will defo have 312s fitted.

To change from 288 to 312s you only change caliper carrier everything else is the same.

I am  looking at Black Diamond pads all round now as have had some bad experiences with EBC back in the day of XR2s.

I was going to get these carriers from XMANTURBOS 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/281015-brake-caliper-carriers-for-288mm-312mm-upgrade-octavia-golf-leon/

thanks again mate for clarifying 312mm for the fronts and you were 100% right, so thanks.  Have now bought the Black Diamond XD Cross Drilled discs and BD brake pads are per your recommendation.  Would be good to use something diff even though EBC has come a long way.  Have just hit 80,000 so can't say fairer in terms of discs.  I went to Demon Tweeks as they were the cheapest.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/brake-discs/car/skoda/superb-08-15/black-diamond-xd-cross-drilled-brake-discs-front-pair-312x25mm-vented-discs

Interesting to know how easy it is to change caliper sizes.  thanks.

• 6 months later...
On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 21:02, Kevinmaj said:

Have now bought the Black Diamond XD Cross Drilled discs and BD brake pads are per your recommendation.  

Sorry for digging this up, just wondering how you are getting on with your brake upgrade ?  Braking is adequate on my 4x4 and has been checked by the dealer but compared to recently driving a Rapid and Fabia as courtesy cars the brakes are poor on my Superb.  The Rapid and Fabia have tremendous braking power, so you would think the Superb would stop a train, but not so....hence looking at possible upgrade options....  Possibly just pads in the first instance as the discs are good, but interested in your feedback :-) 

Edited by TasMan
Tweak

On 4/21/2017 at 13:26, TasMan said:

Sorry for digging this up, just wondering how you are getting on with your brake upgrade ?  Braking is adequate on my 4x4 and has been checked by the dealer but compared to recently driving a Rapid and Fabia as courtesy cars the brakes are poor on my Superb.  The Rapid and Fabia have tremendous braking power, so you would think the Superb would stop a train, but not so....hence looking at possible upgrade options....  Possibly just pads in the first instance as the discs are good, but interested in your feedback :-) 

Is this something to do with the 4x4? The standard brakes on my 2wd 1.4tsi Facelift Superb II feel as though they would stop a train. 

Saying that the Black Diamond disks / pads look interesting - same name as some networking equipment I used to buy!!

Edited by bigjohn

Yeah the Black Diamond option looks good, thinking of pads first like a couple of others have done on here.  Also, reading posts here I get the impression there are more 4x4 Superb owners not impressed with brakes than the 2WD equivalents.  Car slightly heavier perhaps but not enough to make that much of a braking difference.  For the price of the pads and new fluid while we are at it, it may be a very good upgrade...

OK - rather tested the standard brakes today on the A1 when a Lithuanian Artic Lorry pulled straight onto the A1 when I was on the inside lane doing just under 70mph and many cars in the outside lane bunched up doing a bit er lot more than this. Clearly hadn't been seen until the last minute when he stopped half way into the inside lane. Net result full on emergency stop from just under 70mph to zero with ABS at full chat

On the plus side :-

• Yes the brakes could have stopped a train , was fully laden with people and stuff - I was impressed
  • I've still got my winter Conti TS850's on and it was 14deg C today - and wow they worked suprisingly well in the dry when a bit warmer
  • My underwear held - just

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2

Lol, good to hear your brakes are in full working order.  Having had a similar rapid stop requirement heading north on the A9 I thought I wasn't for stopping even with sufficient distance allowed and hefty stomp on the pedal and since haven't been fully confident they are up to the job.  Dealer has checked it out but reports all ok....still looking at the options for a pad upgrade.  Will report back any update...  Cheers

13 hours ago, TasMan said:

Lol, good to hear your brakes are in full working order.  Having had a similar rapid stop requirement heading north on the A9 I thought I wasn't for stopping even with sufficient distance allowed and hefty stomp on the pedal and since haven't been fully confident they are up to the job.  Dealer has checked it out but reports all ok....still looking at the options for a pad upgrade.  Will report back any update...  Cheers

Still wondering if it's related to the 4x4 drivetrain in some way. Most of the cars reporting an issue seem to be 4x4. Are the rear brakes different ? Hopefully pad/disk upgrade will help

Something about this weekend - my tyres dodged another bullet. A lorry had had a blowout on the A1 (north going home)- bits of tyre every where as well as other bits on the road which I think were plastic under panels from other cars most of which were pulled over with people looking under their vehicles. Further ahead I saw another three cars with major punctures (shredded - no squirty foam fix !!). Fortunately I managed to avoid the debris. In addition someone else tested the strength of the central barrier causing a large traffic jam (it appeared no one hurt) .

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1