Skoda Superb 1 Air conditioning evaporator replacement

Hi all,

I have a Skoda Superb 1 2003 and need to replace the air conditioning evaporator. Dashboard out job unfortunately. The workshop manual states that you have to set the air conditioning flap motors to a reference position before you disconnect the climatronic panel and and HVAC unit. Is this the case? I don't see why I need to do this if I'm not changing the flap motors. The last thing I want is to put it all back together and the control flaps stop working. Thanks in advance.

I am guessing here, but when you replace the evaporator, you need to get it out of the main housing that contains the flap motors, so some of the flaps will end up needing to be removed?

Also, after fitting the new evaporator, while the main housing is completely re-assembled but not secured back up to the car's frame, you should be able to check that all the controls are working okay?

Edited by rum4mo

Hi Briskodian, 

Thanks for your help.

The air conditioning system kept losing pressure, so had it pressure checked and a leak was found in the evaporator :(.

I have a new evaporator ready to go, but haven't yet summoned the courage to remove the dash board.  The thing that worries me the most is that the Haynes manual states the following:

"Caution: Before removing the evaporator/heater matrix housing, the air conditioning control system components must be set in a reference position. This work should be entrusted to a VW dealer as it requires access to dedicated test equipment"

However, I cannot find any threads on line that suggest I need to do this at all?  Moreover there is a diagnostic function by pressing the ECON and RECIRC button at the same time that allegedly also recalibrates the system. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tim

Might be worth getting the genuine service manual from Skoda via their ERWIN service?
I had a quick look and see no reference to a "reference setting" in it, but you should run the controller basic settings to recalibrate the motor positions if they are replaced - not sure if the keypress sequence you mention does it.  I personally would do it via VCDS.

That's the one. What's your location, someone nearby might be able to help out for a pint?

I've got a (out of car) complete-ish heater/aircon box from a Polo/Fabia from the same era as your car, there may be strong similarities.  I could have a look at it with a view to trying to understand what is involved in removing and replacing the evaporator, if you like?

Hi Wino, luckily my mate has the VCDS installed so will ask him.  Thank you for the offer of looking at your aircon box, that will be appreciated.  I've had a look online at photos and it appears as though I may have to take the box apart by removing the spring clips to take out the evaporator.  Typical - the heater matrix looks as though it just slides out! 

Just taken a bunch of photos of the one I have. It does look like the evaporator compartment is sort-of separate to the main area where all the vent flaps and stuff are, above the matrix compartment.  Didn't have the energy to start undoing screws and clips to see what it takes to remove the evaporator, but my first impression was that you may be able to get it out without disturbing anything to do with the heater flap motor, and the recirc motor is well away at the far outboard end of things.  I'll upload a few pics and see if I can work it out a bit from looking at them.

Should be fine by just running basic settings after providing you have no faults in the first place.

Dash is pretty easy to remove. Heater box is a bit of a faff. I'd clamp off the heater matrix hoses rather than drain the cooling system.

Hi Tech1e,

The only fault code that occasionally comes up is the Defect on the V71 air flow flap motor, however if I clear the code, it doesn't come back after a while and the flap is working fine.  Hopefully it will still be ok?  Is it worth trying to run basic settings before I start to make sure it goes ok?

Thanks all.

Here's a couple for starters. First one - Front of car is to the right, so this is a view of the right hand side of the heater/AC box, viewed as if you had your head somewhere above the pedals looking towards the long centreline of the car. Approx position of evaporator = blue rectangle. Heater matrix = red rectangle. Red-circled screws seem to show the evaporator box may be detachable from the 'rear' part where all the vent-selection flaps are. It gets more complicated though, cos the clip in the yellow square is one of several round a top-to-bottom seam that connects two halves of the evaporator box, but these sections also extend off towards the cabin fan, including the pollen filter enclosure. Second photo shows more of this.

20160707_194555.jpg

Heater%20box%20front%20view.jpg

I think the Superb box is quite a bit different.

If you have a flap motor error, replace the motor while you have the box out.  Some of them can be done with the box in, but they are quite painful.  Some are absolutely box out jobs.  They don't get better by themselves, so it is just a matter of time...

• Like 1