Climatronic / AC going nuts?

Dear colleagues,

I have checked the temp flap a while ago and the find is that it is intermittent in meaning of:

-if i set the temp to "hi" it goes to the end (checked with VCDS) and does the job

-if i decrease it by one, it start decreasing but not as it should - it comes to end position already at set temp of 26 sometimes 24...sometimes at 19 - after it comes to the end position the setting i set lower than that it has no meaning any more concerning the V68 - temp motor

but the point is it still did it's job - (with no errors in VCDS)

i did basic settings - no change

OK so far - i guess i need to replace it.

but now,

i have noticed lately that my AC does not cool sufficiently. (sill no errors with VCDS)

- when i set to "lo" sometimes the recirculation flap comes on (but it is not indicated on climatronic), if recirc button is pressed there is no action - only if i increase temp to 21 or so the recirculation stops itself.

- if i set the blower to 1-2 bars it gets cooler (looking at center Vent)

but it can't go below 18C

15:28:49 Group 007: Temperatures II
  18.0°C  Center Vent (G191) Temperature
  31.0°C  Footwell (G192) Temperature
  32.0°C  Dash Panel (G56) Temperature
  30.0°C  Evaporator (G263) Temperature

- if i set the blower to 3-5 bars it gets warmer (looking at center Vent)

15:25:35 Group 007: Temperatures II
  25.0°C  Center Vent (G191) Temperature
  31.0°C  Footwell (G192) Temperature
  31.0°C  Dash Panel (G56) Temperature
  32.0°C  Evaporator (G263) Temperature
Wednesday,06,July,2016,15:28:51:65217
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
VCDS Version: Release 12.12.0 (x64)
Data version: 20130910

outside is 29C

As i can read this, the Evaporator temp is to high - as i understand it should be 5C ?

AC was re-gased and checked for leak  just last year ..

Electric fan is engaged when AC is set to Auto as well as the clutch - and is working whole the time until set to Econ

Funny thin is that i never hear it working on high speed...but it probably should ..having outside temperature in mind, AC on and stationary at least?

here are additional data:

15:13:57 Group 006: Temperatures I && Photo Sensor
  29.0°C  Calculated Temperature
  37.0°C  Fresh Air Duct Temperature (G89)
  34.5°C  Outside Air Temperature (G17)
  35.5 %  Sunlight Photo Sensor (G107)
Wednesday,06,July,2016,15:04:20:65217
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
VCDS Version: Release 12.12.0 (x64)
Data version: 20130910

Any pointer, where to start looking ?

Well I eventually replaced the temperature flap motor on my old 2000 B5 Passat, prior to that I used to get the temperature control to work a bit better for a short time by demanding Lo>Hi>Lo>Hi many times as that might just clean up the feedback track a bit. Recirculating flap motor I think is a dash out job as there is not enough clearance at the side, at least it looked like that on the B5 Passat. I'm surprised that the system is working enough not to cough out a fault though when it sounds like it is faulty!

Edit:- yes evaporator temperature that high indicates absolutely no cooling effort.

Another Edit:- I think what got to me eventually, before I replaced the temperature flap motor was needing to stop on motorway journeys to let "us" get out of the car and cool down!!

Edited by rum4mo

hey ..thanks for reply

well - the motor operates from Hi to Lo point (just that it sets Lo already prior to that..let say at 26C - counting down from Hi)

Recirculating flap motor works from open to close fully - just that if it is set to "Lo" it opens by itself  and i can get it to close - accept if i increase to the point where the temp flap starts to move again towards "Hi" then the Recirculating flap closes again by itself - furthermore on that range forward towards "Hi" i can set Recirculation with the button again (open and close)

so i would say, that the problem of the temperatures and AC not cooling enough or just a bit- at a certain conditions, as stated in my first post- lays somewhere else

yes, we had just returned from holidays from the coast and ti was a nightmare - when we stopped, my mother in law had wet white pants (as she would **** on herself) from sweat :)

so this was then a point of no return: I MUST find a problem and fix this - i have run through the forums, but i just couldn't find the similar issue (sorry i did but the guy never posted a solution)

help much appreciated

additionally...

i have taken a look at a drier, and it seams as it has a leak or this is nothing ...??

does anyone knows in what state drier should be?

and again...if this is some kind of a leak, would this explain the problem from my first post?

and if, can it be fixed somehow or new one should be installed?

thanks

post-48946-0-79273000-1467877872_thumb.jpeg

Edited by pinstripe

to recap...

i had changed the receiver drier (it was leaking after all) 30€ and regas and it is now stone cold. Very happy.

now when it has a pressure the electric fan is working on high speed as well

but i would still have question for you:

- when i set to "lo" sometimes (or always) the recirculation flap comes on (but it is not indicated on climatronic), if in this moment, recirc button is pressed there is no action - only if i increase temp to 21 or so the recirculation stops itself.

Is this normal in any case? - can somebody check if you set to "LO" when having ac on does the rec recirculation flap turn on? (and not being indicated on the display - the round arrow)

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...