its falling apart....

You're surprised that your Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) stay on during the daytime?  :D

Mad dogs and Englishmen! You're always pulling our little Irish legs!

Honestly, why would anyone have lights that deliberately run in the daytime? I mean - It's daytime - in daylight - why would I need lights?  That's just silly....  

I'm with lichfielddriver on this. Its a Skoda cover up - Dieselgate is nothing - he called it - this is Skodagate   ;)

• Like 1

Hmmm. That is strange. In Ireland, you can have Blue, Red and White (Laser white or Candy White) at no extra charge.

Those are the colours of the Union Jack and yet they are free in Ireland.

You, however, must pay. Skodagate again...?

I've just had a service at 32k miles and I'm shocked - apparently one of my tyres now has less than 5mm of tread left. I wasn't warned about possible tyre wear when I bought it

I've just had a service at 32k miles and I'm shocked - apparently one of my tyres now has less than 5mm of tread left. I wasn't warned about possible tyre wear when I bought it

Scandalous but i had a nail in 1 tyre at 33k so that was scrap. im on a new set of 4 at just 42,000 miles.....and £60 ...EACH!

oh, and had to put in half a ltr of of oil  - it was only just changed.....at 32K.....0.5ltr in 10,000 miles?

if you'd all bought a proper non-commified auto-mow-bill like a good ol' blue oval or chevvy pick-up or a mans car like a Caddy or Mitsubishi Carisma, you wouldn't have these problems...

Funny you should mention Chevrolet

I had a 59 Chevvy

Well, 59 plate, Epica, only after i got it home did i find id been duped

1...Diesel!

2....(look away) FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

and 3...i can hardly say it......built by Daewoo

• Like 2

Scandalous but i had a nail in 1 tyre at 33k so that was scrap. im on a new set of 4 at just 42,000 miles.....and £60 ...EACH!

oh, and had to put in half a ltr of of oil  - it was only just changed.....at 32K.....0.5ltr in 10,000 miles?

In my service they had to change the oil - but it was still full!!

• Like 2

OK then. I'm like you guys. I appear to leak air from my tyres (had to put 1lb of that in all around), leak litres of screen wash, I have to keep stuffing it with litres of diesel. I'm told that if I had a  petrol it would leak even more - as if that is meant to make me OK with it. FFS. 

The only way I have been able to stop all the leaks is to leave the car parked. Its fine then. At least I think so - BUT I've heard claims that if you do that then it leaks charge from the battery! What the hell is a guy supposed to do...?!

The only thing I haven't leaked is engine oil. Never had to pay to put any of that in - not since I got the car. Its been the only light in my Skodagate darkness.

But wait. I hold in my hand a letter I got on Friday. It appears to be a ransom note for  saying that if I love my car I have to bring it to them on the anniversary of my getting it. WHY you ask? SO THEY CAN TAKE THE ENGINE OIL OUT!!!   

It's like a ransom -  might be €129 or might be €200. They won't say - but theres a big hint I'll have problems if I don't cough up.

Edited by TheRobinK
  • Like 2

bigjohn, on 28 Jul 2016 - 21:58, said:

Your lad is luckier than my lad - I'll pass on my 2001 1.4 Skoda Octavia

Your lads are both lucky - my Dad let me use his 1986  non-Turbo 1.6 Opel Kadett (Vauxhall Astra) diesel in return for doing the maintenance! 

(He may have had a cunning plan though - when I bought my first car I knew I needed money for running costs and not just the sticker price!)

dad and me shared a Vauxhall Viva 1300cc estate which i blew up...

LRF 113F

The first car I ever bought was a Vauxhall Viva 1256 - terrible on motorway up-hill sections

Bought for £55 at 9 years old (the car!)- At that age the inner wings had already rusted through with no metal left to support the bonnet hinges. Learn't how to weld quickly!

Edited by bigjohn

I also had a Viva 2300.......that was a bit faster....

quite a bit

My dad had a Vauxhall VX 4/90 (twin Stomberg 2300) which went well  :devil:

The Viva had surprisingly good front suspension and steering - twin wishbone

Edited by bigjohn

My dad had a Vauxhall VX 4/90 (twin Stomberg 2300) which went well  :devil:

The Viva had surprisingly good front suspension and steering - twin wishbone

The Viva 2300 was a VX 4/90 twin carb all shoehorned into a viva, engine/gearbox and back axle so a very tight squeeze

The Magnum 2300 was downrated and a single carb