Skoda satnav any good? (vs Tom Tom)

glasgow

+1 for smartlink works really well on android auto using Google maps. Voice look up works well.

The Voice control in Android Auto is far better than Skoda's. Works great for Maps, Phone and Music.

But you have got the full processing power of Google's Main Frame doing the voice recognition instead of the cars head unit. 

Lee

• Like 1

Dedicated satnavs do save the problem of having wires to a tomtom etc. They are expensive to buy and update and may not be as good as the tomtom. So really just a neater and more convenient option!

• Like 2

Dedicated satnavs do save the problem of having wires to a tomtom etc. They are expensive to buy and update and may not be as good as the tomtom. So really just a neater and more convenient option!

We now have a third option though.

With SmartLink you can have Apple Maps or Google Maps on the cars display, no need for expensive manufacturers system. All the convenience of an inbuilt system but cheap and no need for any updates as that is done on your phone.

Your phone does need to be connected (Currently) but not on view so you can you plug it in and leave it in the cubby in the dash. Bonus is you charge your phone as well.

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

I think that both the Garmin and Tom Tom and with their updates included are better than the Columbus, as units go,but I like the integration of the Columbus and at the moment for me that's it no options,but with the new systems that enable the integration of apple and Android are a major game changer ,and will make manufacturing of home grown company (expensive ) units a thing of the past and will lead manufactures to follow the Apple/Android route.

I'm surprised how mapping errors get carried forward over updates .  Having just gone from v8 maps to v13 , I was annoyed that the M6/A66 roundabout junction is still faulty, routing W to E A66 traffic up the M6 and then down again, really mucks up  route planning. And on Saturday I found the M58/M6 junction completely wrong. These are not exactly new interchanges and both are quite major ones. I dont believe this is just a VW issue.