adjustable ball joints

Hi,

from what I can tell there are 2 other ball joints that can be adapted to the fabia that give extra camber adjustment.   One is the audi TT RS ball joint swap:

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthread.php?40678-Skoda-Fabia-RS-mk2-Track-Day-Project/page4&highlight=fabia

and one is the superpro aftermarket:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-superpro-parts/roll-control-ball-joints/trc0003~sp/

I actually have a vw polo 9n3 gti. Our ball joint is the same as yours its just that yours bolts to the top of the control arm whereas ours slides into the end of the control arm and is sandwich bolted. I'm looking to make either of these two ball joints work on my car but from what I can see its really only Fabia people doing it, so I was hoping to hear from those that have gone down this path who can offer up some info.

my main questions are:

- which of the two gives greater neg camber adjustment? On the superpro the ball joint itself looks to be closer to the flange bolts and the audi tt rs ones seem to have the ball joint more offset for more camber, but its hard to tell from the pics.

- My standard ball joints have the ball joint offset forward of the flange centre line for more castor. The superpro's seem to mimic this but its hard to see in the pics if the audi ones do that or not. Can anyone tell me if the tt rs ball joints have a castor offset in the joint position or if it just sits on the flange centre line.

-The superpro's say that they are roll centre correcting ie. the tapered stub should sit higher to get your geometry back after lowering. However I read a blurb that says it will only achieve this on say a non gti/vrs car that didn't come lowered form the factory. My question is are these going to make stuff all roll centre correction when put on a car that was already factory lowered, in which case they are not roll centre correctors at all or is the tapered stub set higher than all other ball joints that you can buy and will therefore help even on a gti/vrs?

thanks for any help

sam

Yeah did a bit more research and you're right. My 9N3 has the same control arm ends as the 6Y.   The standard ball joints between the 6Y, 5J and 9N3 polo are all the same part number though, so the ball joints themselves do not vary - just the fit up. So if either the superpro or audi TT RS ball joints can bolt up to the top of your control arms (after enlarging the the centre hole) then the same should go for when they slide inside my control arms.

Even though my control arms are slightly different, I'm asking around here though because Fab 2's came out with the 1.4 twin charged motor and are more likely to see these type of mods, and I was directed here by people over on vwwatercooled who had seen posts about the mod here.

any help appreciated!

thx

sam

Yeah did a bit more research and you're right. My 9N3 has the same control arm ends as the 6Y. The standard ball joints between the 6Y, 5J and 9N3 polo are all the same part number though, so the ball joints themselves do not vary - just the fit up. So if either the superpro or audi TT RS ball joints can bolt up to the top of your control arms (after enlarging the the centre hole) then the same should go for when they slide inside my control arms.

Even though my control arms are slightly different, I'm asking around here though because Fab 2's came out with the 1.4 twin charged motor and are more likely to see these type of mods, and I was directed here by people over on vwwatercooled who had seen posts about the mod here.

any help appreciated!

thx

sam

hello Sam I'm doing this mod soon,I've been putting off as the car has been in a accident so now it's done. I'm picking up the ball joints tomorrow but I don't think the superpro one your on about fit as its a different wishbones to the tt ones

yeah I didn't think they'd fit either. I was made aware of them by a skoda fabia guy on the vwwatercooled.com.au site and he said someone over here had adpted them onto fabia 2 wishbones.   They noramlly suit Ocatvias and Mk 5 golfs etc.

I think I'm going to go wit the Audi ones anyway. They look to be much more offset than the superpro ones for more negative camber and I know from that thread I put up that the bolt holes are very close. I'll probably have to reshape etc them to get them to fit inside my wishbone but thats ok.  I have a hillclimb event next month so hopefully I can get them from germany in time (to australia) andget them fitted.

Part of the reason that I didn't go with the superpro's is that I didn't fully believe that they were proper extended ball joint roll centre correctors. The blurb on ecs said that they will do this on cars not originally factory lowered that are then lowered aftermarket, and won't do much for cars that were already factory lowered eg my polo is 15mm lower from factory.  I didn't buy it, thinking that that explanation was a bit vague. eg golfs and golf gti's use the same ball joint from what I can tell so why would it matter what the initial ride height is - it should be the same for both unless they have different hubs between models.

However I just got a return email from them assuring me that they are taller stub roll centre correcting ball joints. They also said they will give an extra 1.5 degrees - that I don't believe, maybe 1.5 total.  Based on what they told me I probably would have gone with them but I'd just bought the TT ones that morning so we'll see how they go.  

I'll follow up with how I get on so that the Fabia 1 guys will know if these can be adapted inside their control arms.

• 2 weeks later...