2003 (53) Blueline 90HP - Which turbo do I have & tuning options

Hi guys,

I have a 2003 (53) Octavia BlueLine with the 90HP 1.9TDI (pre-PD) engine.

It is currently on 166,000 miles and haven't had any issues at all.

I plan on replacing it in the not-too-distant future, but in the mean time I am looking into mapping.

The standard 120HP re-map won't do me, I'm looking for around 140HP.

Now, I believe that this should be possible with just larger injectors from a TDI 110, and a re-map, but there is a little confusion over the turbo...

I have read that the 90HP engines came with a non-VNT turbo for most of their life (which could restrict me) but the later ones came with a VNT turbo the same as fitted to the 110. 

Am I right in thinking that mine should have a VNT on a 53 plate? 

Does this seem achievable/what other options are available to me? 

Thanks all. 

i have some larger injector nozzles for sale - 0.216 - that will increase the bhp - £55 + post

otherwise i have injectors with the nozzles on them already - £150+post

the difference in injectors is apparently the difference between a 90hp and 110hp cars.  You can then get a pd150 turbo and intake to get yourself upto around 150-160bhp with a remap

i have some larger injector nozzles for sale - 0.216 - that will increase the bhp - £55 + post

otherwise i have injectors with the nozzles on them already - £150+post

the difference in injectors is apparently the difference between a 90hp and 110hp cars.  You can then get a pd150 turbo and intake to get yourself upto around 150-160bhp with a remap

I will think about it and get back to you! Thanks. :) 

OK it is an ALH. :)

So with this kind of mileage, is my idea to push the turbo to 135HP+ not going to be sensible/viable?

I guess I should have seen that coming haha. My logic was that if the turbo is the same as on the 110, and if the 110 can be mapped to 135, then my turbo should be able to cope with 135~ as well. 

only if you do the injectors ;)

And them yes, sorry. They are included in my plan :)

Though after browsing eBay for a while I'm having dangerous thoughts about chasing 200HP on the cheap with a recon turbo from a 2.0TDI, an eBay FMIC, injectors and mapping... 

Am I right in thinking that this manifold should just bolt on, as they are very similar with the same flange on 2.0TDI and 1.9TDI blocks? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-VW-Skoda-Seat-2-0D-170HP-125KW-53039700207-53039700137-Turbo-Gaskets-/321876519789?hash=item4af155eb6d:g:JmkAAOSwbYZXWE6v

And then...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-FABIA-SUPERB-VRS-ALUMINIUM-FRONT-TURBO-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-CORE-FMIC-/181600103052?hash=item2a4835aa8c:g:a24AAOSwofxUfJzk

And bigger injectors...

And then a custom decat exhaust, fitting and mapping... 

Would take me to around £1000 + labour to fit, to get what... 220HP? 

But then I'd need suspension and brakes, which would add another £400 + labour...  Then clutch + fly for about the same again...

Which takes me to "may as well just sell it and get something else" territory...

Just musing... :)

Best stick to something simple so that it doesn't get out of hand! 

Edited by acme15

Ive chased the 200bhp mark in my octavia tdi - got to around 180bhp with a hybrid turbo, bigger side mount intercooler, bigger injectors, egr delete, bigger inlet manifold, remap etc etc - then i went on to apex lowering springs, bilsien b4's, single mass flywheel conversion.

Yes it was a lot of fun, (while it lasted) - then it blew 2 headgaskets and i gave up and am now breaking the car!  I have egr delete, injectors/nozzles, clutch kit, lowering springs, shocks etc still available.  Theres always the argument of might as well get something else, but wheres the fun in that?

Oh, and i used to run mine on veg oil too! - So the money i spent on doing the mods, i saved on the fuel!

What are the details on the clutch and flywheel, injectors, and springs + shocks? 

If its not against the forum rules to ask - how much for each? Just out of curiosity at the moment.... :)

What turbo did you run also?

Edited by acme15

Its similar to the darkside kit - can sell the clutch kit (only 1000 miles use) for £150 - or i have a lightened version for £120

£55 for the nozzles, or £150 for refurbished injectors with nozzles already on

Springs - £90 and £150 for the full set of shocks - rears havent been fitted on either, and the fronts again, are only 1k old

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, me again. Went off the idea of aiming for 180 - 200 when I looked into it and saw how much it would cost in total, so still thinking about the nozzles and remap only.

Only thing is, I'm concerned that 135HP from 90HP will knock out my clutch and possibly my turbo as well, the car is on 170,000 miles now.

What are peoples thoughts and experiences? If you think it would be too much for the old turbo and clutch I might just do the 115HP map without injector nozzles.

i also have a 2 single flywheel conversions for sale - £150 each - one is lightened and one is standard

Remapping it will cause more stress on the turbo regardless of whether you go for injector nozzles or not.

The difference between the alh and asv engine is essentially the nozzles - everything else is basically the same and interchangeable apparently.  I know of may people who have blown up the asv engines, and swapped out the block with an alh without any adverse affects!

hope that helps

150 for just the fly or for fly and a clutch of some description?

Im assuming though that 135 with bigger nozzles will cause more stress than 115 with original nozzles, or is that not the case?

Edited by acme15

So with 110 nozzles it should make 110HP because all other components are the same? Does the 110 not have a slightly different ECU/map? Will it not also reduce my economy, whereas keeping stock nozzles and mapping to 115HP may increase the economy? :)

Edited by acme15