Another Adblue question.

Cumbrian28

I have had a look in some of the other Adblue threads but not found the answer to my query- are the Adblue bottles supplied by Skoda dealers refillable? If not, who sells the refillable ones?

Many thanks.

Yes they are refillable.

Edit: The Skoda one similar to what this shows.
Do not lay the top of the filler down like he shows as it will get grit on the breather tube and it'll go straight into the Adblue tank.

Edited by Urrell

Thanks Urrell, if you twist the cap off against the non remove device in order to refill it, does it not unscrew when removing the bottle from the car tank on subsequent fills?

Excellent. Seems like a good solution.

2500 miles still showing on the Adblue countdown but may need to fill very soon as the Yeti will be away from home on a very long run shortly and don't want to be caught short to in strange surroundings.

Thanks Urrell, if you twist the cap off against the non remove device in order to refill it, does it not unscrew when removing the bottle from the car tank on subsequent fills?

This was my concern as well but it wasn't a problem. I unscrewed it a number of times.

As per another thread I've now bought the hose that will screw onto the Adblue tank and the 10 litre (VW) container that I filled the small bottle from.

Excellent. Seems like a good solution.

2500 miles still showing on the Adblue countdown but may need to fill very soon as the Yeti will be away from home on a very long run shortly and don't want to be caught short to in strange surroundings.

You can top the tank up at any time so do it now and it will cover you for the trip.

I filled mine up before I left as I was going to bring solution with me

Maxi only shows 4500 since I filled it up and I have done a 1000 miles on holiday and it's still 4500 miles

Sorry,Another adblue question.

Is the fitting on the adblue top up bottle universal in fitting all cars ?  for example if i buy the top up bottle from cosco,halfords,supermarkets,filling stations is it the same fitting or do different manufactures use different size (threaded) fittings.

Thanks.

Is the fitting on the adblue top up bottle universal in fitting all cars ?  for example if i buy the top up bottle from cosco,halfords,supermarkets,filling stations is it the same fitting or do different manufactures use different size (threaded) fittings.

Thanks.

Well, unless someone on here has bought adblue from "cosco, halfords, supermarkets(!!!), filling stations" and has access to a wide range of adblue fitted cars then you're very unlikely to find anyone who can definitively say any better than "probably" !

I can't answer James0james question but I just bought a 1.9 l bottle from my local Skoda dealer.

Today I bought 10 l container from an Esso station, it had a connector included ( correction, it had a screw on spout included, the outer diameter of which would have gone inside the car tank inlet. I used the proper Skoda bottle and refilled that as necessary ( luckily, as the spout connector leaked slightly so I got Adblue onto my driveway, I poured water on afterwards to dilute/wash it off).

Having driven just over 3000 miles since new at the end of May, the Adblue countdown was onto 2500 miles left. I have just put 4.5 - 4.6 l in and the range now shows 5000. ( couldn't get any more in using the push down the bottle method).

The whole process took less than 10 minutes and there were no problems.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, the 1.9 l bottle designed for the job was less than a tenner from the dealers. As it is reusable / refillable it seemed like a good deal. Then a 10 l container from wherever the price is right.

If I remember correctly, the 1.9 l bottle designed for the job was less than a tenner from the dealers. As it is reusable / refillable it seemed like a good deal. Then a 10 l container from wherever the price is right.

Yes, that's why I went down that route. The 10 litre from Skoda wasn't a bad price either, so bought one and glad I did as I've now got the proper VAG connection tube.

Good job you didn't use the spout really! With no stop valve there is a real danger of spillage in the boot, especially as the 10 litre is a bit unwieldy.

Yes, I agree.

Just done about 12 miles this morning and the Adblue mileage is now down to 4500 already.

At an annual mileage of just under 20k it looks like the top up process will be a 4 or 5 times a year job unless running as low as possible ( could be a bit of a pain but at least it only takes 10 mins or so).

Thanks.

Our Superb needed filling up recently, I just bought whatever 10L can the local motor factors had and the nozzle it came with pushed in just right.

The Superb has the filler behind the fuel filler flap though doesn't it? And therefore has like a small fuel filler.

The Yeti has a screw on filler as it's in the boot and spillage could be a problem.

Edited by VAGCF

• 2 weeks later...

Warning came on at 8800 called at local vw dealer and bought 1.89 litre bottle for £6.73 and 10 litre container for £13.24.

Refilled this morning took approx 6 litres very easy to do by topping up the small bottle. Did'nt spill a drop just seems expensive at over £3 per litre compared to £1.30 for the large container.

just seems expensive at over £3 per litre compared to £1.30 for the large container.

That's because it's a smaller bottle and it contains the anti spill valve.

• 1 month later...

I read that 'old' advlue 'goes off ' & should be used ! or is that just a marketing ploy ?

There is a use by date on the container I bought. They also recommend keeping it in the dark and cool. I'd probbly have no issue with using it after the date, say, within a year.