What type of oil?

The Factory Filled and Main Dealer Service and recommended oil is 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life (VW504 00) 

& thats an issue, good for Variable / Long service intervals,. crap in a 1.4 TSI Twincharger.

So you use the recommended if you trust VW, Biggest car company in the world last year for 6 months, use that to top up if that is what is in the engine.

or maybe try at the next service.

5w 40 Full Synthetic (VW 502 00) if  doing Fixed Services under 10,000 miles, and if you treasure your car.  

Maybe not Castrol Edge crap..

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Huge company, recommended by VW, what could be wrong.?

Maybe in a 1.4 TSI Twincharger try something else, try 5w 40 Full Synthetic to VW 502 00 not from Castrol, 

you might notice the indicated Oil Temp a few degrees lower, and anyone that had an oil user might notice a lowering of the oil 

consumption.

It does no harm, it can do good for a Twincharger.

• Like 1

I always used comma, nice cheap brand which meets all the modern specs and also comes with a guarantee so long as you use the grade they recommend. Made by the same parent company as Mobil 1 for less money.

They do two ranges. A more expensive retail range.

5w30 Prolife VW504

5w40 Syner G VW502

Or they do a cheaper garage range which is exactly the same stuff.

5w30 Xflow type V VW504

5w40 Xflow type G VW502

The Xflow can be found for sub £15 for 5 litres at local motor factors.

• Like 2

I have used Premium Comma 5w 40 Full Synthetic to VW502 00 so it is there.

'Some Say', that ASDA, TESCO and other Own Brand Oils are COMMA, not sure if they are, 

but they are damn good i know that.

After all the oil comes from Oil Producers not Bean or Corn Flake producers, 

like Tesco Momentum 99 which Greenergy Produces and it might or might not be much the same or better than Shell V-Power Nitro+ 

that Shell Produces or Retails and brings in from Shared Facilities with Greenergy.

Brand and Media / Advertising big upping something does not mean it is superior, often just that it costs more to buy.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the Mobil 1 5w-50 ? It does not have the VW502, but the MB229.3 which complies VW502. 

I noticed that with just a few degrees hotter (95-100 instead of 89-92), my engine uses much more oil, and I already run 5w-40 ...

No but i run Mobile 1 5w 30 FS and it lowered the oil temp like for like.

Then a 'Mate' gave me lots that had come to him in payment from another HGV Driver.

I did an oil change and very quickly found out it was 'hooky', as the engine near cooked its self.

If buying Online or even at Bargain Prices, buyer beware, 

Same as with Spark Plugs, Filters, Brake Parts etc,  lots of snide parts out there.

Comma isn't certified by VW though.

Oil doesn't have to be certified by VW.

As long as it is the correct spec for your car then it is fine. For 1.4 Twincharger if the can says VW502 or VW504 then it's fine, whether that is from comma, as da, tesco etc.

Oil doesn't have to be certified by VW.

As long as it is the correct spec for your car then it is fine. For 1.4 Twincharger if the can says VW502 or VW504 then it's fine, whether that is from comma, as da, tesco etc.

The correct spec is VW's own spec. That's why they certify the oils so that thy can carry the specification. If the can says it's certified to VW502 or VW504, then it's been certified by VW to be correct. If it says something like "Can be used where" or "Suitable for use where" VW's spec is required then all that means is someone has decided that it's probably suitable. But it isn't certified unless VW have certified it, just that the manufacturers think it'd pass the certification if they presented it for test.

May have misunderstood your initial comment. I though you were referring to the fact VAG endorse the use of Castrol oils for example even though it isn't the best choice.

As you mentioned if it has the correct VW spec then it's fine to use

• Like 1

Lets us know.

Personally i would not put that in a Twincharger.

Really it was worth trying 5w 40 Full Synthetic rather than 5W 30.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

My experience is that oil consumption on VW502.00 [5w40] is about a 1/4 of that on VW504.00 [5w30]. I am on fixed [15000km/9320miles] service interval. For some reason services prior to me purchasing it were putting the long life [5w30] oil in despite it being a fixed interval vehicle.

I'm running that in mine, car runs fine but still drinks oil like mad.......

Thanks for letting me know. Went for Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30w in the end. I have only had the car less than a month so trying to work out if it is an oil drinker.

• Like 1

I'm running that in mine, car runs fine but still drinks oil like mad.......

Opie recommend that if you find it burns a lot of oil, go for a 5w-40.

• Like 1

Odd,

If it burns a lot of Oil get Skoda to fix it, even if out of Warranty, Their build had fundamental design, manufacturing and quality control failures.

So they can have fitted new Oil Spray Jets, Latest Software and if that fails a new engine fitted which they pay for.

If it uses a bit more oil than you want and even less than 0.5 litres in 621 miles, or even not much oil and you service Fixed, then best use 5w 40 in a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kW Twincharger.

Does no harm, and does lots of good.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1