Fabia 1.2 64bhp common issues?

Hi all,

I've done a search and most posts seem to relate to the Mk.II.

I'm thinking of buying a 1.2HTP 12v 64bhp Fabia for my partner. I know of the usual Fabia issues such as leaking door seals, bushes etc. but is there anything specific to this particular engine that I should look out for when inspecting the car and taking it for a test drive?

I'm hoping it'll be a nice cheap to run runabout, it won't be used for any long journeys. The particular one I am looking at has full dealer service history.

Cheers,

Hi all,

I've done a search and most posts seem to relate to the Mk.II.

I'm thinking of buying a 1.2HTP 12v 64bhp Fabia for my partner. I know of the usual Fabia issues such as leaking door seals, bushes etc. but is there anything specific to this particular engine that I should look out for when inspecting the car and taking it for a test drive?

I'm hoping it'll be a nice cheap to run runabout, it won't be used for any long journeys. The particular one I am looking at has full dealer service history.

Cheers,

I'd get a 1.4TDI in your situation, it's far more reliable and economical.

• Like 1

Valve guides/valve wear

Timing chain/tensioner failure

Coil packs

Injectors

Servo hose splitting

Crankcase breather leaking

Cheers, these all sound like a pain to sort? Are these usually to be expected at higher mileages? The ones I've been looking at are all around the 75k-90k mark.

I'd get a 1.4TDI in your situation, it's far more reliable and economical.

This is actually one of the other engines I'm looking at, and the SDI. I've not had too much bother with my TDI and I do a lot of miles. My only concern was the low mileage it'd be doing with it being diesel (circa 8k a year) but I could still take it for a good run every couple of weeks.

142k miles on ours. Only thing engine-wise that's not factory original (other than service items) is EGR valve. What year and mileage is the one you're looking at?

It was a 54 plate Ambiente. I've just been told it's sold so it's out of the question now.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607045535609?utm_source=Triggered_Emails&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email_a_Dealer

If it's just for a cheap, not-gonna-do-many-miles, easy-to-mend runaround, a 1.4 mpi might be a good choice?

I did consider it but the tax and fuel economy is putting me off a little tbh.

The 1.2 12v gets nowhere near its official figuess mpg-wise (no surprises there). Over the whole time we've had it it's averaged a smidgen under 41. Pretty sure my 1.4 16v is a touch better; though I'm not as thorough about recording info for it.

I know the mpi is meant to be worse, but if it's not going to be doing that many miles I wouldn't think the difference would amount to much.

• Like 1

The 1.2 12v gets nowhere near its official figuess mpg-wise (no surprises there). Over the whole time we've had it it's averaged a smidgen under 41. Pretty sure my 1.4 16v is a touch better; though I'm not as thorough about recording info for it.

I know the mpi is meant to be worse, but if it's not going to be doing that many miles I wouldn't think the difference would amount to much.

Fair point, going to see a 1.4TDI this weekend, the dealer apparently has a petrol model there as well but I can't remember what engine. I'll have to see

I've bought the 1.4TDI, it had loads of history for things like wiper blades, window regulators, CV boots, bushes, brakes, door carrier seals, services (with the correct oil) etc. A couple of things need sorting - condenser fan only works on high speed and there is no battery light on ignition (load signal wire?) the timing belt is also due so that's being done as well.

Apart from that it felt a lot 'tighter' than mine which makes me wonder what if mine is just a bit tired at 136k.

The petrol model was a 1.4 16v but the condition and history wasn't great and it felt a little lumpy.

Thanks for your help guys

Edited by Dazza95

Nice one. It's the blue wire that I think you'll need to fix to get the battery light back on with ignition, but you may well find both that and the DFM one broken.

If they are both busted, fix them one at a time to see which one restores the battery light to normality.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Yeah both were broken on mine, they're fixing it free of charge for me though before I pick it up next week. I had to explain the condenser fan to them, they'd not had anyone notice the issue before