Clay Mitt - worth a go?

Mence

Chaps, I'm back.

My clay bar has reached the end of its useable life and so I started browsing for a replacement. Seeing plenty of clay mitt type products got me wondering.

Clearly being larger, they must achieve the same goal quicker which of course is handy but are they any good?

I have a bottle of Dodo Juice Born Slippy, is that OK to use with one?

As always good people, your thoughts are both welcomed and appreciated.

M.

Edited by Mence

I used a G3 Clay mitt and thought it was fantastic. I clayed my car in under have the time it took the last time I did it with a standard clay bar.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/clay-bars-detailing-products/farecla-g3-body-prep-clay-mitt

I used AG's rapid detailer spray, but as long as it acts as a lubricant for the clay you'll be fine. (that's my understanding anyway)

Edited by Ally_bassman
  • Like 3

I'm a big convert to the clay mitt.

Really does speed up the process on the larger panels and big cars.

There is always a place for clay bar on smaller areas and detailed panels shapes.

I also find the clay mitt is great for preparing glass as well. :thumbup:

Not sure if Halfords are doing the 3 for 2 at the moment - but thats when i buy the Farecla G3 Clay mitts.

Chaps, I'm back.

My clay bar has reached the end of its useable life and so I started browsing for a replacement. Seeing plenty of clay mitt type products got me wondering.

Clearly being larger, they must achieve the same goal quicker which of course is handy but are they any good?

I have a bottle of Dodo Juice Born Slippy, is that OK to use with one?

As always good people, your thoughts are both welcomed and appreciated.

M.

I recently purchased the clay mitt from the Clayclothcompany and found this to work well - you can certainly hear the change in sound as the mitt does its job. 

Definitely speeds up the process - I used it on a mate's Land Rover TD5 last week - a large vehicle but also working in hotter temperatures the mitt allowed me to get the process done quicker and prevented undue drying of the panels and consequent residue 'staining'. 

I used an old bottle of bodywork shampoo to act as the lubricant.

Thanks for the tip Ally_bassman. I've just bought one online and will give it a go on Mrs vrswell's car first and then the Superb :thumbup:

No problem, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Much less fiddly than using a clay bar but gives the same results. I was shocked on how well it performed and how quickly I got through the whole car.

The only negative is the colour of the clay material, its quite dark so you can't really tell what you're picking up, but you know it's working because the feeling of the paint after you have finished is loveeeelllyyyy. :sun:

• Like 1

I've used the Farecla G3 mit too and it's very easy to use. How many times do people use them as obviously like 'proper' clay they pick up the contaminates off your car and these will stick to the mit so eventually you could end up marring your car and doing more harm than good? At the price I'd be tempted to use it just the once?

Thanks very much chaps.

Just back from Halfrauds, no 3 for 2 but got one anyway.

Looking forward to a Sunday mornings clay mitting.

Appreciate it as always.

• Like 1

Update.

Couldn't resist, just popped out and gave it a try seeing as I washed her last night.

Wow, how quick and easy is that!

A right result, cheers chaps!

• Like 2

Update.

Couldn't resist, just popped out and gave it a try seeing as I washed her last night.

:D  Like a kid with a new toy. Good to hear it went well. Just have to wait for mine to come now :thumbup:

• Like 1

Another vote for the G3 mitt here.  I just use super soapy car shampoo (about double strength) in water as a lube, it's fine.  Wash mitt on one hand, clay on the other, dip both in bucket, wipe-wipe wash mitt, wipe-wipe clay, repeat til smooth, dip back to bucket and rub clay surface against nylon surface on back of wash mitt to clean, repeat on next bit of panel.

After doing the octy once about half the clay area on the g3 has lost its sheen and some tack, so mitt may only do the car a couple of times perhaps.

• Like 3

Update.

Wow, how quick and easy is that!

A right result, cheers chaps!

Did you de-tar and use some fallout remover first? That makes claying a lot easier and you stand to do less damage to your paint if you do. I went on one of Autobrites intro courses and Clive recommended not to clay unless you were also going to machine polish the car afterwards. HTH

Did you de-tar and use some fallout remover first? That makes claying a lot easier and you stand to do less damage to your paint if you do. I went on one of Autobrites intro courses and Clive recommended not to clay unless you were also going to machine polish the car afterwards. HTH

I did remove the tar, (this time of year it's a pain) but I didn't use any fallout remover.

• Like 1

I bought a Clay mitt and Mrs G watch as I used it and was impressed by the smooth results, I goes off to work and only on my return find Mrs G had used the clay mitt on the dog thinking it would remove any loose hair

post-3385-0-91530900-1469227960_thumb.jpg

Poor dog

• Like 3

A clay mitt is defiantly worth as it makes things so much quicker I usually just dunk mine in the soap bucket and away I go.

The one thing a clay bar has over a mitt is the feel as you can feel the resistance lessening once you have removed the contamination also you can physically see the bar pick up dirt.

Other than that I'm happy with mine and will continue to use it.

• Like 1

Another vote for the G3 mitt here. I just use super soapy car shampoo (about double strength) in water as a lube, it's fine. Wash mitt on one hand, clay on the other, dip both in bucket, wipe-wipe wash mitt, wipe-wipe clay, repeat til smooth, dip back to bucket and rub clay surface against nylon surface on back of wash mitt to clean, repeat on next bit of panel.

After doing the octy once about half the clay area on the g3 has lost its sheen and some tack, so mitt may only do the car a couple of times perhaps.

What kind of longevity are folks getting from their mitts? Edited by Chubbs
  • Like 1

What kind of longevity are folks getting from their mitts?

It will very much depend on use case of the mitt i think....

I have one mitt for my own car which gets very light use and sees little contamination; its lastest all this year basically.

Whereas, i have a 2nd mitt for helping out friends and family cars; which i have killed and replaced already this year as it was heavily contaminated and the surface was breaking up.

It will very much depend on use case of the mitt i think....

I have one mitt for my own car which gets very light use and sees little contamination; its lastest all this year basically.

Whereas, i have a 2nd mitt for helping out friends and family cars; which i have killed and replaced already this year as it was heavily contaminated and the surface was breaking up.

Thanks for this, gives me a general idea!

Edited by Chubbs
  • Like 1

Just to add an alternative, I got one of these a few months ago, only brave enough to use recently on her car. Worked a treat just using as a 2BM after washing it. Shampoo was Do-Do juice "born to be mild" which is pretty sudsy..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a big fan of the Farecla G3 mitt and the halford's 3 for 2 deal. :thumbup:

Decided to order one of these to try out next - as i killed my last mitt doing the Land Rover at the weekend.

eBay link:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322096933819?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

I have been a big fan of the Farecla G3 mitt and the halford's 3 for 2 deal. :thumbup:

Decided to order one of these to try out next - as i killed my last mitt doing the Land Rover at the weekend.

eBay link:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322096933819?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

One of my first purchases was a clay mitt from the Clay Cloth Company - very similar looking to the one in the link.  I used this a few times prior to purchasing a Medium Bilt Hamber clay bar and have to say I prefer the ease and speed of use compared to the bar. Not having used any clay bar before I found it very effective at doing its job but somewhat tedious when using to remove contaminants and manipulating it to get a decent surface to work with - I expected to be able to use a piece, clay, fold and repeat but it seemed to want to break apart at the edges.

Edited by Chubbs
  • Like 1