Spacesaver spare wheel

Fishyhooky

I'm just about to order a new Yeti and am considering getting the spacesaver spare wheel, can anyone let me know how much higher the raised floor is from a Yeti without a spare wheel.

I need to know as I don't want to get it and then find that I cannot get my fishing box in, the salesman said it is nearly level with the lip on the boot so my box should slide straight in.

He didn't have a Yeti in stock with the spare wheel fitted.

It's about 25mm or 1" inch in old money below the plastic internal lip. So the salesman got it correct but if it's a heavy box you'd need to lift it over the lip unless you happy for the lip to get marked!

Thanks for you replies, think I'll do without as I think it will be harder to get my fishing box in

So it's easier to lift a tackle box over a 7" lip than a 1" lip!

How big is that tackle box?

Do without is my motto. My brother has a Yeti with a spare wheel and we struggle to get four rucksacks and all our boots in when it's his turn to drive on our hill-walking day's out with four up whereas it's a doddle when it's my turn. What is worth ordering is a fold flat back rest on the front passenger seat. This allows me to get my long rod holdall in quite easily on my carp fishing trips. 

I cannot understand for the life of me this obsession with cars having no lip in the boot. If there no lip there's nothing to stop all the stuff sliding out of the boot when parked on a hill. 

What a PITA to have to get Recovered if you have a wrecked tyre on a Hill Walking trip 4 up with your gear due to no spare wheel, 

maybe even somewhere with no Mobile Reception.

• Like 1

Thanks for you replies, think I'll do without as I think it will be harder to get my fishing box in

I carry allsorts of big heavy boxes but have no problems,

and this is my second Yeti. I would not be without a spare

wheel, that could cause you greater problems.

What a PITA to have to get Recovered if you have a wrecked tyre on a Hill Walking trip 4 up with your gear due to no spare wheel, 

maybe even somewhere with no Mobile Reception.

Ah, but I've never had a puncture that has 'wrecked' a tyre in 42 years of motoring so I'm willing to take the risk. I have had my fair share of punctures in that time and that includes both my current Yeti and the last one but without exception they have always been slow punctures. Only three weeks ago I had a massive screw embedded in my front tyre. The screw head (complete with washer) was so big it made a banging noise while I was driving. I stopped to check it out and discovered it but the tyre hadn't gone down. I drove home no problem, albeit slowly, then drove to the tyre fitters the next morning to get it sorted. At this moment in time I'm driving round with a nail in the back tyre! My tyre pressure warning light came on to alert me of this. The tyre was down only slightly so I pumped it up and reset the tyre pressure warning. That was a week ago, I checked the tyre pressure this morning and it's gone down ever so slightly so I'm in no hurry to get this one fixed. These are the types of punctures I get, I have never even had to use the gunk. My last car was an Honda Civic it had no spare tyre when I bought it and and although I had punctures they were of the type I've mentioned earlier. I ran it for three years from new without a spare then I was tempted to buy one when my dealers in Bolton had them on special offer. I ran it for another three years and never needed that spare! I wouldn't have bought the spare it if it had robbed me of boot space but it fit under a false floor in the boot. It was a proper space saver unlike the one supplied with the Yeti which isn't hence the reason it takes up so much space!     

• Like 1

Still a PITA when you do get a wrecked one.

Good on you never having had one and long may this continue.

As to the nail in the tyre and leaving it in, i would hope a person of your experience would use your common sense 

and get it fixed for safety sake.

My silly son left a screw in unchecked for several weeks, never checked the edge until i checked, he just kept putting air in, like a plonker.

Know something is in a tyre and leaving it is just irresponsible IMO.

Criminally irresponsible actually if taking that vehicle out on the roads.

post-86161-0-94567200-1469390672_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Still a PITA when you do get a wrecked one.

Criminally irresponsible actually if taking that vehicle out on the roads.

I think you mean if not 'when' I get a wrecked one!

Having thought about it in the cold light of day I tend to agree with you re nail in tyre - I promise I'll get it fixed tomorrow. Thanks for telling me off! 

Do without is my motto. My brother has a Yeti with a spare wheel and we struggle to get four rucksacks and all our boots in when it's his turn to drive on our hill-walking day's out with four up whereas it's a doddle when it's my turn. What is worth ordering is a fold flat back rest on the front passenger seat. This allows me to get my long rod holdall in quite easily on my carp fishing trips. 

I cannot understand for the life of me this obsession with cars having no lip in the boot. If there no lip there's nothing to stop all the stuff sliding out of the boot when parked on a hill.

I have ordered the fold down front passenger seat, have decided to get the spacesaver wheel into what will be my third Yeti.

• Like 1

My brother has a Yeti with a spare wheel and we struggle to get four rucksacks and all our boots in when it's his turn to drive on our hill-walking day's out with four up

Seriously?  What size of rucksacks do you take?  I have the spare and I can get four rucksacks and four pairs of boots in my Yeti's boot quite easily.  The trick is to stand the 'sacks upright - no problem with 30-40litre packs.

There is a lip, but it's only small.  I prefer it because it provides a much less precarious perch for the putting on of the walking boots and such like tasks.  The boot floor is hardly slick - it's carpeted, and you'd need to be parked on a pretty steep hill for things like shopping bags to slide out.  In fact I think it would have to be so steep that the shopping was as much at risk of toppling out as sliding!  I will admit that I've never tried carrying a skateboard in there, though...

Be aware Fishyhooky that the height from the raised boot floor to the underside of the parcel shelf is only 44 cm - I've just measured it. This seriously compromises the boot in my view. I would think twice if I was ordering another Yeti about specifying the spare wheel. When I am due to renew my Yeti early next year I will probably go for the Golf SV which has a much more usable boot and a spare wheel as standard.

• Like 1

rkenny, I remove the parcel shelf so that's not a problem, thanks for your reply

This will be my third Yeti, just ordered it this afternoon, 2ltr 4x4 DGS L&K in Jungle Green

• Like 1

If it isn't too late, I would recommend that you add the Partition net screen (£125) to your order. That net will help keep luggage in place whenever you want to load the boot - or indeed the whole rear of the car - to roof level. It isn't something which can be retrofitted after delivery.

Edited by DGW

If it isn't too late, I would recommend that you add the Partition net screen (£125) to your order. That net will help keep luggage in place whenever you want to load the boot - or indeed the whole rear of the car - to roof level. It isn't something which can be retrofitted after delivery.

I'd second this - haven't got one in my Yeti, but we did get one with our new Superb estate - great if you want to load stuff higher than parcel shelf line and know that it's safely retained.

Don't know if the Yeti is the same, but the one in the Superb can be used in two places - either just behind the rear seats, or just behind the front seats when the rears are folded down.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the spare tyre kit with my first Yeti and transferred it across to my second - I've had 3 punctures in the four years I've had them - two were nails in the tread, but the last one was a sidewall puncture, due to a pothole.  On Skye.  I had no phone signal, and we were miles from anywhere.  It took me 20 minutes to change the tyre, and we managed to get the tyre replaced before we were due to drive back down to Yorkshire the next day.  The outcome would have been much more miserable if I had just had a can of gunk to rely on. 

• Like 2

After much deliberation I decided a spare wheel-less Yeti was not for me! The added feel better feeling was to hard to resist so I bit the bullet and bought one with all the bits and pieces from Caffyns. It wasn't cheap but the service from them was brilliant, arriving a couple of days after ordering. Took about an hour to fit and after experiencing the without, now know I prefer the raised floor. Hope I never have to use it (never did in 5 years of No.1) but I now have both spare and gloop!

• 2 weeks later...

Best option ever!

Yes I agree , I'm pleased the previous owner of my Yeti had the good sense to spec it with a spare  :clap: