Real world MPG (not indicated)

Afternoon all,

I've tried searching but it hasn't pulled much great results, it seems MPG isn't so important anymore! ;-)

What MPG do people get in the real world, and not what the computer tells them?

Reason is, my commute is 50 miles each way. I would say 40 miles of it is motorway, with the rest being dual carriages and normal roads either side.

If I sit at 65 the whole way, the computer reckons I'm getting anywhere between 65-75MPG on the run. But, when I work out miles vs how much fuel went in, it's only 50MPG? Which to me does seem a little low...

I remember reading before about MAFs, and I know my intercooler had a hole, which was repaired but maybe it's still leaking...

Any other ideas, or is that pretty much all I'll get?

Cheers!

My vRS Fabia (TDi) averages 45-48 mpg, granted I have a bit of a heavy right foot 'cos, when driven gently it's usually in the mid 50's. My on board computer tells me I am averaging in the mid to high 50's when I'm getting the 45-48 figure and low 60's when I'm actually getting mid 50's mpg. My commute is 20 miles each way along mostly country roads.

What year is your car ? As I have read some of the later BLT engined vrs' are notorious for over reading. Mine can supposedly return ~70mpg if I take it easy on the motorway at 70 or so. I don't believe it for a second though.

JRJG

Mine is a '54 plate '04 ASZ engine, if I drive super gentle, it will over read. I once had 72 mpg average showing on the computer, that was a trip spent at 55mph with very gentle throttle applications, brakes etc...totally focused on economy. Sadly it was total B.S, I was getting 63 mpg on my calculator using the brimming method.

These cars all over read, it's just the way they are. You can get good mpg but, nothing like some of the rediculous claims of 70 plus that you see. You would need to strip every spare ounce of weight out of the car and drive on a rolling road to get these levels of economy, it's just not possible in the real world.

Edited by Coffin Dodger

Hi,

Mk1 VRS BLT engine, standard, generally average trips to/from work, 21miles each way, general nipping here, there and everywhere, fill to fill, several checks, realises 56 - 59 mpg...

Mine over reads quite badly.

Filled up on Friday before dropping my missus to Cardiff, came home and picked her up later in the evening and filled up again yesterday morning before heading off to a wedding in Surrey and my trip showed 57 but my fuel app said 44 after 170 motorway only miles :(

Suspect you are only interested in VRS but, whatever.

I recall a VW statement that at the same speeds SDI should be very slightly better than TDI since the turbo partially obstructs the exhaust.

I bought an old but low mileage SDI estate last year and initially did only motorway miles and drove at 60 to 65 mph as shown on satnav (65-70 on dash). Car had no OBC but the first three refills were at about 525 miles and needed 7.5 galls and i recall achieving 70 mpg. There followed a couple of tanks with trips into North London but I still made 69mpg for the next 2/3 tanks and then I stopped keeping such a close eye on things and perhaps drove a bit faster but over 10k miles I have typically seen 65+ and never less than 60.