Am I still right? Most reliable and common problems.

Rob.

Hello!

I've not been here for a rather long time, but used to be on here almost permanently..

Anyway, SWMBO needs a car that is small but not to much hard work on the motorway. With only very little nudging from me a mk1 Fabia seems favourite. So, I've rattled the long term memory and this lot fell out, could ya let me know if I'm still correct when it comes to the most reliable model to source and thier motorway manners.

SDi = the definition of bullet proof. Can cruise at speed but overtaking not that impulsive.

16v = Early versions had duff piston rings, revised at facelift (05?) for an engine code that didn't eat piston rings?? Not to bad at overtaking, just drop to forth, even sounds ok at whack.

PD100 = fill me in, all I know is that the EGR probably leaks on most by now? Is the clutch DMF like the vRS? Must be ok on the motorway due to torque?

PD130 = reliable until around 100k which is when, depending on life turbos and clutches can start to generate big bills.. as my looked after one did (git).

3pot diesel.. I know nout, not.so fussed.

3pot petrol.. I know nout, but interested to hear.. how's the reliability and motorway?

MPi = as reliable as the SDi and a timing chain, but a bit rough at speed so not really a motorway motor.

What have I missed, oh 2.0L.. can't see her getting insured on a bonafide Mustang slayer.

As for the platform, they eat bushes (40k a set on average, right?). Was it only early power steering pumps that failed?

All the doors on all the models are made from colanders.

What have I missed, what have I got wrong, and what have they all started doing in the last few years?

Taa, I already killed a kitten

Edited by Rob.

Some comments:

SDI - yes the engine is bulletproof but the gearbox isnt !

PD100 - nice balance of cost/speed/insurance etc, think the very early ones had SMF, can't see why the turbo/clutch would age any better than a VRS

3 pot diesel - some lose oil pressure when/if balance chain fails - engines seldom survive. Others seem to do mega miles

4 pot diesel after 2005 - change of con rod design seems to have lead to unreliability in some engine variants - rod through block kind of thing.

I note you drive a 318i - e46 compacts are very cheap these days !

• Like 1

Good to know, I had hoped the BBZ 16v would have been a fix to the rings, so that's good.

Pd100 doesnt have that torque spike which is why I would hope the clutch would last longer then a pd130's.. as for turbo, again, it'll have an easier job as no sudden woosh as in the vRS... I was so disappointed when my turbo went wheezy at 80k and then the repaired turbo showed up the clutch was slipping.. Ben at Shark honestly thought it was mapped and read out the map to confirm it was stock.. would have loved to have dyno'd it once the clutch was done but I just let it go into trade... that car had been serviced on the nose, with the right parts at the right time and run for over four years on bp ultimate.. which was suspected to be the reason it's power was still up...

Anyway.. back to SWMBO...

Leaning towards a PD100 or a 16v then... £2k will buy you a super clean low miler easily.

PD100 for the perfect balance of performance, economy and reliability. FSH essential for peace of mind. Elegance is the one to have. 2.0 is group 16 by the way and appreciably more expensive to insure, costs me £300 a year instead of £180 for the 16v even though it's not much faster, reliable and surprisingly economical though and much better on the motorway.

MPi = as reliable as the SDi and a timing chain, but a bit rough at speed so not really a motorway motor.

Mines not rough at motorway speeds, in fact it's very quiet and smooth. Overtakes often need planning though.

My thoughts (maybe bs) 

pd130 - knocking on 150k will need most if not all suspension components replacing, engine mounts, gear box mount, the turbo you mention is some what of a lottery some last 40k some are going after 200k. I would just factor in £500 ontop of the price and expect it to go :P

My saloon is a 2003 car, currently has a 16v engine (though it's days are numbered) and that's the BBZ (later engine) and thus far doesn't appear to have a thirst for oil.

Mine is BBZ, too.

After 214k km- also, no thirst for oil (am replacing it every 15k km, 5W40 mid-SAPS oil).

Am quite satisfied with this engine- MPG, HP, acceleration, reliability- but few additional Nm of torque could be very useful...

Can't remember the code for my little 3 pot 1.4TDi- but my only complaint on long motorway jaunts was lack of a higher gear. few year ago, I had a monthly Midlands to Lochaber trip, and it handled both the M6/M74 /M8 and the A82 with the same disdain for terrain. Motorway gobbler and it loved the corners ,and the turbo saw off quite a few who had A82 brown trouser problems. I'd like to see one with Vrs front brakes and mapped to 100 .The lighter 3 pot engine makes for less weight on the front end and better handling.

So far from my experience:

SDI - a tank, will have longer life span than you, gearbox is a bit iffy

16v - not to bad, it does eat a bit of its piston rings and a few shreded timing belts

HTP - low powered, not too bad cheap city car. Problem with ignition coil pack

MPI - absolute piece of ****, demonic product for complete destroyment of wallet, mental health and owners sanity, huge problems with mixing oil and coolant, blowing head gaskets and leaking of cylinder block due to a poor quality aluminium used in forging. In 102.000 miles I burried 3 different engines, and 4 times I have changed head gasket with all the work that comes with it. It sounds like a can full of rocks, it goes like a dead mule, and it is a bigger gas-guzzler than BPs oil rig in Mexican bay. Honestly, I would rather have a 88mm piston up my arse, than this junk under my bonnet.
1.4 TDI - not too bad if you don't expect much from it. It is nice city car, needs attention because of leaky fuel injectors
1.9TDI - bulletproof if you know basic diesel maintenance and on what to pay attention.

I have to say that over the years I've been a Brisky member and contributor the model with the fewest drivetrain problems posted about has been the PD100, hands down, no contest, the 1.4 PD also seems very reliable, the SDI is let down by a bad gearbox.

The 2.0 petrol is rock solid for reliability, much better than the 1.4 16V.

The VRS would be great if it didn't eat turbos but the Skoda 1.2 and 1.4 powerplants are horrible.

• Like 1

I can vouch for my 1.4TDI, mine is remapped and it doesn't dissappoint :)

I've been doing approximately 25-30k miles a year and  I've never had anything major go wrong. In fact, I like it so much that I've just bought one for my partner - I was orginally going to try a 1.2 HTP but after advice on here, I stuck with the 1.4TDI. I've not heard about leaky fuel injectors before but I do know that the oil pump chain can fail and write off the engine.

Edited by Dazza95

16v - not to bad, it does eat a bit of its piston rings and a few shreded timing belts

MPI - absolute piece of ****, demonic product for complete destroyment of wallet, mental health and owners sanity, huge problems with mixing oil and coolant, blowing head gaskets and leaking of cylinder block due to a poor quality aluminium used in forging. In 102.000 miles I burried 3 different engines, and 4 times I have changed head gasket with all the work that comes with it. It sounds like a can full of rocks, it goes like a dead mule, and it is a bigger gas-guzzler than BPs oil rig in Mexican bay. Honestly, I would rather have a 88mm piston up my arse, than this junk under my bonnet.

1.4 TDI - not too bad if you don't expect much from it. It is nice city car, needs attention because of leaky fuel injectors

1.9TDI - bulletproof if you know basic diesel maintenance and on what to pay attention.

A very entertaining review, but your profile says you still drive one?

It's nowhere near as bad as you're making out if looked after properly and driven with common sense and a modicum of mechanical sympathy. I've had no engine problems at all in two years of ownership, apart from a bit of a oil leak at the rocker gasket which is now replaced. Yes it's a very old design and it's slow but it's fine for what it is.

It's nowhere near as bad as you're making out if looked after properly and driven with common sense and a modicum of mechanical sympathy. I've had no engine problems at all in two years of ownership, apart from a bit of a oil leak at the rocker gasket which is now replaced. Yes it's a very old design and it's slow but it's fine for what it is.

Although I've not had mine (1.4 MPI) too long, I'd be inclined to agree for the most part - mine's done just short of 165k in its 14 years, and aside from a timing chain cover gasket and an oil pressure switch it's been pretty good. Slightly petrol thirsty, but more refined than the Zetec Rocam-engined SportKa (on just 65k miles) that preceded it - although a damn site slower. I actually kind of like the slightly rough nature of it, as it's easier to work on than most and offers more opportunity for home repairs than most 'modern' cars.  

Edited by JJBaxter
  • Like 1

I've had the 1.4 16v and 1.9pd in different cars:-

1.4 16v (Octavia 2001) - Generally very good although cam "belts (2 of them!) "  MUST be changed at 40k along with tensioners/waterpump. I personally believe pistons/rings can be damaged because of pinking with 95ron (these like higher octane fuel) - mine pinked with 95 ron from new so I only ran with Shell Vpower or Tesco Optimax. Still going strong after 15years/120k miles and burns no oil.

N.B. If they turn into oil burners (mine did briefly) check oil breather system (module on engine, rubber pipe or pipe within air filter) as low mileage cars can be affected by oil mayo (condensation/oil fumes) blocking stuff pressuring oil past valve oil seals. EASY fix. or EGR can fail (insufficient flow) but doesn't usually affect operation.  Any running issues - change the coil pack first!    

All in all very good - I still use it for long distance driving where my young son is involved (cheap to insure!) - Economy low to mid 40's (over 50 if my father in law drove it!)

1.9 pd100 - Very good indeed - tugged a large Superb along really well so Fabia should go well indeed.  Economy was about 50mpg. I did 10 years and 170k miles in it. Original clutch, exhaust and battery.

Don't drive too gently to keep variable vane turbo and EGR healthy (neither ever failed). EGR, Variable Vane and anti shudder valves controlled by a vacuum setup that can spring leaks (rubber pipes rotting or rigid/rubber pipes rubbing  through) or have control solenoid failures. Usually easyish to sort.

Oil consumption was strange but predictable -  after a service when full the oil level would drop quickly from the full mark to about half way but then burn no further oil between services (from when I bought at 20k miles).

I never had this issue but the engine can have failure of the injector wiring loom failing (goes rigid/inflexible as it sit in oil) - another easyish fix though#

If it was possible to go out and buy a new one of these I would do - especially with the bullet proof 5 speed box.

Also re 1.9 sdi:-

A friend had a 1.9 sdi in a Seat Ibiza - Was very noisy but went better than I expected it to for a non turbo, and did 60+mpg. On the Ibiza for some reason it cracked  a couple of catalysts in his ownership. Water pump failed nearly throwing off the cambelt (caught just in time!) .  Burnt a bit of oil later in life.

Edited by bigjohn

16v = Early versions had duff piston rings, revised at facelift (05?) for an engine code that didn't eat piston rings?? Not to bad at overtaking, just drop to forth, even sounds ok at whack.

No problems on mine after 14yrs of ownership & about 60K miles. But ran it only on Shell Nitro (optimax/vpower). The lower octane fuels always caused problems on those engines as they were designed to run properly on the higher octane.

& mine was the early Elegance spec so got the electric rear windows & had the "mystic beige" interior & dark metallic blue paintwork...#isthebestfabia