Multiple Octavia I SLX electrical issues!

Hi all,

First post on here because I'm having multiple problems with my W reg (2000) SLX (1.8 petrol). The car is great but these issues are driving me crazy! Please see below:

Battery drain

If I don't turn the car on for more than 48 hours the battery drains, meaning I can't start it without a booster/jump leads. I took it to Halfords to get the battery checked and the readings came out ok. I'm now a bit stuck for what to do next. I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice on the next steps to take? Preferably steps I can do myself as I don't really want to take it to the garage because I'm sure it would cost $$$ for the mechanic to explore the issue.

Passenger door electrics don't work

None of the electrics on the passenger door work, this includes the window, the central locking and the wing mirror adjustment. This issue was present when I bought the car in February and I can live with it, but now it's hot my passengers need a bit of air! As I understand this is likely to be a failed unit in the passenger side door. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if so could point me in the direction of the appropriate unit and/or give any advice.

Intermittent issues with driver side controls

If it rains heavily all of the electric controls on the driver side door get knocked out, this includes the central locking, electric windows, warning sound if the lights are left on and the wing mirror adjustment. Having done a bit of research I understand the best place to start is to pop the door panel off and explore. Please could anyone advise on the best places the look first?

Central locking behaving unusually

Generally when the central locking is used it works well but sometimes one or two of the back doors don't close and you need to turn the key again to get them to close. 

Juddery electric windows

When the electric windows do work they are quite sticky, you hold the switch, they move, then they stop (despite the switch still being pressed), then you release and press again and they move in small increments until they are either open or closed.

Any help on these issues would be really appreciated as I'm currently a bit stuck! The car runs really well but seems plagued with these electrical faults which are becoming really frustrating. Please let me know if you need any more information and I'll supply it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Have a look at:

Battery drain: the thick wire underneath the battery. I'm not great with batteries but that wire is a common problem.

Just about everything else: window motor module in drivers door. Open up the multiplug and check for corroded or missing pins. Then check passenger door one. I did a guide in the tech section somewhere about checking multiplugs.

Check wiring loom through door pillars for fractures and breakages.

Juddery window: check regulator runners, although it could be a weak connection caused by the above.

The juddery/stopping window could be the start of the drive spline starting to strip on the regulator gear at the motor join.

Have you checked that the bootlamp is off when the boot is closed - drop a seat back temporarily to check.

Did Halfords just check the battery or did they check your charge rate as well at the same time?.