Updating Amundsen Nav II Maps

Falmouthboy

@David1944;

It looks like this is what you may need

http://jku.com.au/2015-v3-vokswagen-map-rns-315-vw-australia-nz-maps-service-3aa051866ag.html

However, it warns that: "This Maps will not work on RNS 315 imported from Europe"

If I understand your previous post correctly you already have European maps loaded? If so this card will probably not work in your system.

Jim

As all Yeti's are effectively imported from Europe (because that's where they are built), I presume they are differentiating between cars imported by Skoda Australia and 'grey imports'.

It is possible that the system firmware and/or hardware may be different depending on the car's ultimate destination due for example to different radio broadcast standards, and maybe it is for this reason that the map data may not work in a different region - though it might do if the firmware is also changed to match the cars regional location?

Jim

Edited by muddyjim

@David1944;

It looks like this is what you may need

http://jku.com.au/2015-v3-vokswagen-map-rns-315-vw-australia-nz-maps-service-3aa051866ag.html

However, it warns that: "This Maps will not work on RNS 315 imported from Europe"

If I understand your previous post correctly you already have European maps loaded? If so this card will probably not work in your system.

Jim

That's as dodgy as a dodgy thing on the dodgems in Dodge City. You pay them for  maps card plus a deposit, they send you it, you install the maps, then you send it back, and you get your deposit back. That means nothing more than they're a bunch of crooks who've cracked the sd card and are selling cloned maps for as much as the dealers charge in the first place (give or take a few dollars).

That's as dodgy as a dodgy thing on the dodgems in Dodge City. You pay them for  maps card plus a deposit, they send you it, you install the maps, then you send it back, and you get your deposit back. That means nothing more than they're a bunch of crooks who've cracked the sd card and are selling cloned maps for as much as the dealers charge in the first place (give or take a few dollars).

Hey Jim.....you need more faith in human nature. I found this website before i saw your post.

These guys are 1500klms away in Queensland. As of this morning the Australian maps are installed and working perfectly. They were very professional and efficient and would recommend them to anyone in Aus or NZ

• 4 months later...
On 26/07/2016 at 17:53, Falmouthboy said:

A quick 'noddy' guide for the Luddites among us - I 'bit the bullet' today and am posting a quick guide. For simplicity I saved everything to my desktop where it was easy to find and once satisfied all was good moved it to a file on the C drive. Note that you can only update the maps in the Facelift Amundsen in this way.

1. Download the new maps via the download tool on the Skoda web site, save to your desktop so it's easy to find. You should check to see that your in car maps are not the current ones first! It will show as a zip file when downloaded which has an icon of a pile of books. Open it up the zip file and you will see 3 files, the folder file called 'maps' is the one you need. Ignore the other two. You will probably need to agree to the terms for the trial of the zip software (I did). The download is about 12MB which took about 45 min on our average 10MB connection.

2. Remove the SD card from the car. Switch the plastic write protect tab to unlocked and put into PC.

3. The SD card only contains one file called 'Maps'. Copy and paste this file to the desktop (this is your backup). Then delete the 'Maps' file from the SD card.

4. Go to the new download and drag the 'Maps' file to the SD card. First it will show as unzipping (takes about 10 minutes) then it will show as copying to the SD card (this takes about another 10 minutes). Don't worry that the SD card shows as empty until the last moment when the new 'Maps' file will miraculously appear.

5. Remove the SD card, re lock it and put in the car - and that's it done!

6. Move the download and backup maps to another place on your PC away from the desktop.

I have just updated my maps to the latest version.  Please note that the above process is now redundant.  I don't know if that is because I am now operating on Windows 10 or because Skoda have improved and simplified the process.

Now, you simply run the download from the web site.  Once downloaded it asks you to insert your SD card and confirm location.  It then deletes the content on the card, unpacks the zip file and uploads it to the SD card.  

My my advice is to still back up the content of your SD card first as 'belt and braces'.  Also, please note that when you put the SD card back in the car, your stored destinations, including your home address, will no longer work and will need to be re input.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2017 at 00:32, skippy41 said:

Is the Amundsen 2 the DAB version?? of the 315

No.

The Amundsen/Amundsen+ (RNS310/RNS315) are completely different to the Amundsen (MIB/MIB2) fitted to newer cars. They don't share hardware, software or maps.

There are multiple versions of the RNS315 which can come with BT and/or DAB or without either. It's down to the hardware inside the RNS315 :)

• 1 year later...

Well I'm having a problem. I can download the maps from the Skoda web site, but I cannot delete the old maps from the sd card, this option is not available. I've tried the Lock switch on the card in both positions. I cannot install the new maps on the sd card as Windows 10 reports not enough room. I do not want to reformat the card in case I delete something necessary. Any ideas, anyone? 

Save the data from the card onto your computer and then reformat the card. That's what I'd do. Chances are it'll refuse the format anyway if you're having trouble deleting it, but sonething will have to be tried.

Or I can sell you a working one and you return yours to me, if I can make it work I'll refund half and keep it.

I ran through the whole process again and it worked. I must have done something wrong the first time, don't know what. I had found on Christmas day that the satnav took me 

on  a ridiculous route to an easy destination. It plots that route sensibly now. The satnav has retained my destinations, so happy now. Thanks for the offer Rustynuts. 

• Thanks 1

re PeterKn 

"I had found on Christmas day that the satnav took me on  a ridiculous route to an easy destination"

Me too, on the first journey (250 miles to Wales) after updating, the routing was all over the place, with no apparent reason.

Returning home and henceforth, all back to normal.

• 1 year later...

Background: We bought a Yeti 5L Facelift 1.4 TSI DSG yesterday🥳, equipped with an Amundsen II and a ŠKODA original Navigation SD card (16GB with EU maps dated CW 22/2015). I went online to the ŠKODA update portal and noticed that the new maps (ECE A1 2020) requires a 32GB SD-card.See attached picture:

Question: Can I use whatever SD-card to update the maps? Or does it have to be the original SD-card?🤔 If I can use whatever card which formatting should the card have? FAT32 same as the original? 

Best regards,

Sněžný muž 🥶

mapy.jpg

1 hour ago, sneznymuz said:

Question: Can I use whatever SD-card to update the maps? Or does it have to be the original SD-card?🤔 If I can use whatever card which formatting should the card have? FAT32 same as the original? 

It must be an original Skoda SD card and as most are 16gb that map will not fit, follow instructions on the download to copy to your original card. It will ask you if you want it to format the card before copying data over.

6 minutes ago, Urrell said:

It must be an original Skoda SD card and as most are 16gb that map will not fit, follow instructions on the download to copy to your original card. It will ask you if you want it to format the card before copying data over.

Aha, ok 😐 Thanks for the reply 😀

I read in some other thread that someone had modified and removed some countries maps from the directory structure and in this way they were able to update maps of their own interest to latest version. Maybe this would be an alternative for me if I want to have updated maps of as many countries as possible? 

5 hours ago, Urrell said:

I don't know what they are on about that it has to be a 32GB SD-card. I downloaded it and the 2020 maps used 14,5GB of space and the 2015 maps took up 15,3GB. So the "new" maps actually uses less storage space.

I guess they just wanna give a heads that the next release of maps might use more than 16GB.

5 hours ago, sneznymuz said:

Aha, ok 😐 Thanks for the reply 😀

I read in some other thread that someone had modified and removed some countries maps from the directory structure and in this way they were able to update maps of their own interest to latest version. Maybe this would be an alternative for me if I want to have updated maps of as many countries as possible? 

As an answer to myself, it wasn't needed to modify the directories at all.

• 2 months later...

Was expecting there to be an update of maps this week but now I see that the maps are dated 2020/2021

and has been valid since CW45 2019. I was in contact with Skoda Sweden and they say that the maps

are delayed and they say that the "model year change date" this year occurs W30.

The fact that the maps are now dates with 2020/2021 makes me worried that there won't be any updates,

which is disappointing as I have travelled on many roads the last few months that hasn't existed in the

current ECE A1 2020 which I assume is the same as ECE A1 2020/2021, just that they for some reason added

the 2021, I guess we should not assume any map updates this year or maybe in 5 weeks?

Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 13.28.45.png

@sneznymuz give it time, they've just released maps for the other headunits so I'd expect them in the next few weeks.

As for the dates, they've always been wrong. Looking back at my VCDS scans:

- ECE1 2019/20  --- 1115 (released end 2018)

- ECE AS 2020  --- 1310 (released mid 2019)

- ECE AS 20/21  --- 1430 (released end 2019)

Based on that, the CW45 2019 maps have always been shown as 2020/21 and are not the same as the ECE 2020 maps you currently have installed.

8 minutes ago, langers2k said:

@sneznymuz give it time, they've just released maps for the other headunits so I'd expect them in the next few weeks.

As for the dates, they've always been wrong. Looking back at my VCDS scans:

- ECE1 2019/20  --- 1115 (released end 2018)

- ECE AS 2020  --- 1310 (released mid 2019)

- ECE AS 20/21  --- 1430 (released end 2019)

Based on that, the CW45 2019 maps have always been shown as 2020/21 and are not the same as the ECE 2020 maps you currently have installed.

This is weird because the latest version available when I updated was ECE 2020.

Don’t know how this could have happened. Gonna go and check the version next time when I’m in the car.

Interesting that the dates always have been wrong, fingers crossed that the new update will come in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, sneznymuz said:

New maps seems to have been uploaded to their portal now.

As far as I know all Yeti's have 16gb SD cards, that one requires a 32 gb SD card.
Also much fewer choice of maps and they are dated 2018 whereas the last ones were 2020

Just now, Urrell said:

As far as I know all Yeti's have 16gb SD cards, that one requires a 32 gb SD card.
Also much fewer choice of maps and they are dated 2018 whereas the last ones were 2020

They state that it requires a 32GB card, as far as I know that doesn't even exist.
But the folder is also just 15GB so it works fine on the 16GB card.