Facelift Yeti Rear Bumper Protector

Falmouthboy

As the Facelift Yeti has a painted top to the rear bumper I'm looking at getting a stick on protector of some sort. Looking at the Skoda Accessory web page I'm surprised to see they don't list one for a Yeti, but there are several non Skoda OEM ones available on the web. I don't fancy polished metal, and would prefer something that blends with the dark grey bumper plastic. Has anyone found a good product that looks 'factory fitted'?

I was in the dealers today talking about my new 66 plate yeti and have got the dealer to fit the bumper protector and door protectors when it arrives (free of course!). They have them as he showed me them on his laptop

Edited by don_kiddik

I was in the dealers today talking about my new 66 plate yeti and have got the dealer to fit the bumper protector and door protectors when it arrives (free of course!). They have them as he showed me them on his laptop

Hmmm - I wonder how much they are from a dealer - almost £55 inc postage from Rearguard is quite steep for a Cornishman with short arms and deep pockets.

Hmmm - I wonder how much they are from a dealer - almost £55 inc postage from Rearguard is quite steep for a Cornishman with short arms and deep pockets.

The proper Skoda one doesn't actually cover that much of the bumper.

• Like 1

The proper Skoda one doesn't actually cover that much of the bumper.

You have to be careful which to fit as they can affect the rear sensors (if fitted)

You have to be careful which to fit as they can affect the rear sensors (if fitted)

Look at my picture up top, the guard doesn't come anywhere near the sensors.

The official Skoda one doesn't cover the edge of the bumper.

I have put a black Rearguard protector on mine.

Well packaged, quick delivery, straightforward instructions how to apply, covers the edge of the cill and looks completely original.

IMO £55 is not unreasonable for such a good looking and well designed item.

40 odd years ago we used to put a clear protector on the leading edge of wing struts for stone protection, which I assumed were a 3M product.

Never seen them offered anywhere though.

There are loads on eBay, search for "3m helicopter tape"

I used a bit 200 x 1000mm

Never knew where the boss got it from back then.

I have a clear Skoda one fitted and it covers the top and over the edge about 15mm, had no problems with the dog scratching the bumper.

should be in the Skoda accessory catalogue that's where I  found it.   

• Like 1

40 odd years ago we used to put a clear protector on the leading edge of wing struts for stone protection, which I assumed were a 3M product.

Never seen them offered anywhere though.

Ex-RAF so I know exactly what you mean - often sold here as 'helicopter tape' - the thought has occurred to me.

Ex-RAF so I know exactly what you mean - often sold here as 'helicopter tape' - the thought has occurred to me.

AFAIK Skoda use that on the rear wheel arch flares to protect the paintwork (after a rash of warranty claims for paint perforation in early versions without the rough road pack).  It's a bit of a pig to fit, especially over a large area like the rear bumper.  And unlikely to be much more cost-effective than one of the moulded plastic ones IMO.

I got my moulded plastic one from Superskoda.  Twice, in fact, after the rear bumper had to be replaced following my retrograde altercation with a street lamp recently.

AFAIK Skoda use that on the rear wheel arch flares to protect the paintwork (after a rash of warranty claims for paint perforation in early versions without the rough road pack).  It's a bit of a pig to fit, especially over a large area like the rear bumper.  And unlikely to be much more cost-effective than one of the moulded plastic ones IMO.

I got my moulded plastic one from Superskoda.  Twice, in fact, after the rear bumper had to be replaced following my retrograde altercation with a street lamp recently.

It seems the only Facelift one they sell is aluminium, which I would prefer not to go for.

I bought the clear plastic OEM one from the dealer - £30 odd.

As said, not listed in the accessories - just ring the dealer and order it if going down that route.

Bought mine a few weeks ago but it was too cold to fit at the time! Needs to be above above 18 degrees. You can use a hair-dryer but I didn't fancy that outside.

Covers the top edge of the bumper and turns down about 15mm as said.

Must do it or else it will be too cold again!

• Like 1

I fitted carpet in the boot left carpet about 24 inch longer than required,when loading fishing tackle, dog crates ect.I pop the extra length over the bumper, its also useful to sit on and cost me £5 for a carpet offcut.