Front shock absorbers

awfabia

Good job I had the MOT done before warranty ran out as an Audi independent garage noted 'oil mist' as an advisory. However the Škoda dealer showed me an official manufacturer photo of oil mist on front shock absorber above spring cup not being a 'defect', excessive oil running down below the spring 'cup' is a defect.

Now, I realise that the dealer won't get paid if he changes the shocks but has anyone else had similar 'mist'?

Quite reasonably, the dealer said that any deterioration after the warranty runs out will not be covered by warranty as Škoda don't consider it a defect at present.

Any ideas, anyone? 53,000 miles in 3 years but still in love.....

I would think that is reasonable and certainly much better than 40 odd years ago when you'd only just get out of the 1 year warranty and they'd be stuffed along with the battery........at least in our cars.

I recently downloaded some of the official workshop manuals, prior to replacing all of my shocks.

Pretty sure I remember some text in there saying that a light patch of oil around the top of the tube being normal, and not an indication of a fault.

Thanks for replies so far, keep 'em coming.

Although it's 'normal' according to muddyboots and Škoda UK, I wonder why an Audi independent MOT tester decided to list as 'advisory'?

I just don't fancy having to change the struts at my expense after warranty has expired.

MOT stations are expected to give a number of advisories, if they give out too many passes without any advisories the ministry pay them a visit

That's what's said about police 'bookings' which is reasonable otherwise they could all be having a (nation that got into BIG financial trouble) long weekend.

MOT stations are expected to give a number of advisories, if they give out too many passes without any advisories the ministry pay them a visit

Really?

And your evidence?

Or was it what a man down the pub told you?

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 1

was told this by two MOT testers I know personally

Sounds right to me now that MOT's are computerised if  station's are either passing,failing or recording advisories at an anomalous rate it should be apparent to the licensing authority in real time and should be checked in order to see why. If they do not monitor and investigate they would be negligent.