Courtesy Car who pays?

gumdrop

I was offered a courtesy car, but had to sign a paper to cover the first £1000.

Who would actually pay the £1000, me or my car insurance company.

Would it be cheaper to go by bus?

It depends who is actually insuring you on that car. If it's our insurance company while yours is being repaired then you should be covered under the terms on your insurance policy and with their excess.

If you have been covered by the Skoda insurance for example then that may be the excess on their policy.

It is often very high on hire cars etc unless you pay extra per day which is what I was offered when we had a courtesy car from Skoda (they wanted £10 per day to reduce the excess down). But then my own insurance covered it so we didn't need it.

Process seems to always be different in each dealership and each time I do it!

So yes, it pays to check the detail. And also what your own insurance covers you for. For example, my policy specifically covers a courtesy vehicle while my own is in for service/repair. It's one of the first things listed on the certificate of insurance.

As said different with each dealer as its their own insurance. A £1k excess isn't unusual but most dealers will reduce this significantly for a nominal payment. For service work this is really unavoidable, but for warranty or recall work it's worth kicking up about it - you may well then get it waived. As said, also worth checking with your insurance company to see if they will cover you.

I checked with my bank about the 'free' travel insurance cover from their credit card and was told it included car hire insurance excess cover which made a big difference to the daily hire cost.

My dealer gives me three options, (1) add to own insurance, (2) If you damage it, then its a £500 excess, (3) Pay £10 and the excess is waived. The last time I had a courtesy car they charged the £10 to Skoda as it was warranty work. If not I pay the £10 charge, too much hassle to do anything else.

What does that say about insurance companies then?.

robbing bar stewards, who will take you money quickly and revert to small print or examine the car to see if you failed to declare an empty starbuck's cup in the wrong cup holder to avoid paying out on their commitments