Emissions Recall

thedinger

Evening, all,

Just wondering if anyone else on here is still waiting for the recall for the re-programming since the defeat devices were first detected?

I have had a couple of letters in the last few months thanking me for my custom, but still waiting for the actual recall.

62 plate 170 Elegance, nearly 4 years old now with 54k miles, only two minor faults both sorted under warranty, sunroof rotary switch & driver's seat heater element. Always starts first time whatever the season, heated front screen a real bonus in the winter. Mean fuel cons since new is 43 mpg, not at all bad considering the roads where we are, Scottish Borders, 50 miles from any motorway, so mostly rural A & B roads + lots of yellows.

Did have some noise from the big velux, but thanks to some suggestions from other members, sorted with the application of a rubber lubricant (no, not that sort!)

Otherwise, no creaks or groans, nowt has fallen off, still a very comfortable place to be whatever the conditions outside.

Cheers the noo,

thedinger.

I'm due to swap our Spaceback of a Seat (Skoda)Toledo with one of the dodgy 1.6 TDI motors next week; want something more economical than our TSI. I'm in no hurry to get a fix carried out and if I have a choice will be not be allowing any supposed repairs to be carried out, unless they provide a written guarantee of a full no quibble refund of the purchase price if I'm not happy with the outcome of said repairs in terms of performance, economy etc. and provide an extended warranty on the car while in my ownership at least.

TP

• Like 1

Evening, all,

Just wondering if anyone else on here is still waiting for the recall for the re-programming since the defeat devices were first detected?

I have had a couple of letters in the last few months thanking me for my custom, but still waiting for the actual recall.

62 plate 170 Elegance, nearly 4 years old now with 54k miles, only two minor faults both sorted under warranty, sunroof rotary switch & driver's seat heater element. Always starts first time whatever the season, heated front screen a real bonus in the winter. Mean fuel cons since new is 43 mpg, not at all bad considering the roads where we are, Scottish Borders, 50 miles from any motorway, so mostly rural A & B roads + lots of yellows.

Did have some noise from the big velux, but thanks to some suggestions from other members, sorted with the application of a rubber lubricant (no, not that sort!)

Otherwise, no creaks or groans, nowt has fallen off, still a very comfortable place to be whatever the conditions outside.

Cheers the noo,

thedinger.

Ours is almost 6 years old with 43k on the clock. Had a letter but no recall as yet. I am inclined to decline the 'fix' unless I get the guarantees you quote. Plus having read on this forum the possibility of the egr working differently that match shorten it's life leading to an expensive repair. Certainly a concern. My garage has no problem with me declining the work.

I'm due to swap our Spaceback of a Seat (Skoda)Toledo with one of the dodgy 1.6 TDI motors next week; want something more economical than our TSI. I'm in no hurry to get a fix carried out and if I have a choice will be not be allowing any supposed repairs to be carried out, unless they provide a written guarantee of a full no quibble refund of the purchase price if I'm not happy with the outcome of said repairs in terms of performance, economy etc. and provide an extended warranty on the car while in my ownership at least.

TP

Ours is almost 6 years old with 43k on the clock. Had a letter but no recall as yet. I am inclined to decline the 'fix' unless I get the guarantees you quote. Plus having read on this forum the possibility of the egr working differently that match shorten it's life leading to an expensive repair. Certainly a concern. My garage has no problem with me declining the work.

I have no intention of having any 'fix' on my yeti . Plan to keep it as it is. Just don't see how power/ torque would not be reduced by reducing emissions. Perhaps if I see clear evidence of this apparently impossible task for vw group I may reconsider.

• Like 2

I haven't grasped this notion of compensation-they do things differently in USA and there seems to be little useful to learn from what I know of their system. If you buy a car which works properly and does what you reasonably expect it to do what is the loss for which you yearn to be compensated? In the UK I doubt that any court would be able to calculate the sum required and that is because there is no real loss.

• Like 1

I thought it was the case that the 'cheat' was to enable U.S. Euro 6 without the need for SCR and the European situation was Euro 5 which VW could meet without the 'cheat' and that is why they claim they weren't illegal outside of the U.S.

No compensation applicable outside the U.S.

VW's problem is more about illegal behaviour by a German company

But, in that case why the 'fix' for non U.S. vehicles then?.

It was a technical fix to meet wholly artificial testing requirements-if you set arbitrary and artificial tests smart engineers will find a way to comply-if you are lucky they will be clever enough so the user never suffers any disadvantage.

The USA accepted the EU Certification and Defeat Devices installed by Car Manufacturers was and is Illegal.

The Government's and then possibly the Courts in the UK / EU and RoW may decide in the end about compensation, 

not the Board of the Volkswagen Group.

sorry i said july when it is june

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

You will have heard in the news recently that the Volkswagen Group is intensively perusing an investigation into irregularities in the software used in some diesel engines.

This took some time; time for the analysis and time to implement the technical measures. Starting from June 2016 we are launching the Service Campaign itself. Even though we are working at full speed to deploy the technical measures and organize the service campaign, due to immense number of software versions that have to be developed and tested the update of particular cars will be released in several waves at least throughout 2016. 

To determine if the software affected by the irregularities has been installed in your vehicle, please visit your ŠKODA authorized partner, call your regional ŠKODA call centre, or complete an instant online inquiry at ŠKODA Diesel Campaign app

In order to find out the estimated month* of your car software availability, please contact the ŠKODA partner. Based on that information you can roughly plan your workshop visit at your own convenience, however, we recommend you to bind your visit with your regular service inspection or any other planned service visit at an authorized ŠKODA partner.

As soon as software version for your car is available you will receive invitation to make an appointment with an authorized ŠKODA partner.

We would like to assure you that: The trust of our customers and the public is and will remain our most important asset. We deeply regret that this situation has arisen. The important thing for our customers to know is that all vehicles are safe and driveable. We take full responsibility and we will cover the costs for the implementation of the necessary technical measures. 

Edited by skoda1982

I haven't grasped this notion of compensation-they do things differently in USA and there seems to be little useful to learn from what I know of their system. If you buy a car which works properly and does what you reasonably expect it to do what is the loss for which you yearn to be compensated? In the UK I doubt that any court would be able to calculate the sum required and that is because there is no real loss.

It was a technical fix to meet wholly artificial testing requirements-if you set arbitrary and artificial tests smart engineers will find a way to comply-if you are lucky they will be clever enough so the user never suffers any disadvantage.

+1/2

The standards were set, by whoever, and published . The manufacturers then complied with this standard,however arbitrary/silly/unrealistic they are. Small print in all PR stuff says the results are as a result of testing, and "real world" figures may be different - shock, horror.

The whole system was endorsed by the "authorities", so the "blame" lies with the "authorities" for accepting this cosy arrangement. They could have said real world testing is the only true statement of performance etc.

To suddenly turn round in hypercritical outrage that "they" have been "cheating" their own endorsed tests is beyond belief :wonder:

Without inflaming anyone's sense of injustice about this whole blown up saga, I'm just sitting and reading all the c**p that has been written after the last few months with a wry smile until an outcome has been reached.

Personally, if I was the VAG, I would have hired every lawyer in the USA and taken the American authorities on. Big gamble, but the process would have bared the facts that the cosy arrangements were endorsed by all governments over decades with little or no intervention.

Just my 2p's worth (probably a bit more :notme: )

I think the crucial difference between the US situation versus Europe is that the law governing what is/isn't allowed for the testing is better written in the US. So the EPA could readily demonstrate that VW's test cheating was illegal.

I think the EU situation might possibly be described as massively immoral, but possibly not demonstrably illegal due to slacker law writing. Thus no compensation.

• Like 1

I think the crucial difference between the US situation versus Europe is that the law governing what is/isn't allowed for the testing is better written in the US. So the EPA could readily demonstrate that VW's test cheating was illegal.

I think the EU situation might possibly be described as massively immoral, but possibly not demonstrably illegal due to slacker law writing. Thus no compensation.

You may well be right, American lawyers might not have been on VAG's radar way back when they set off down their chosen path.

I think I read that VAG say that recent advances in fuelling software, not developed at introduction, may well be part of the "fix".

I think I read that VAG say that recent advances in fuelling software, not developed at introduction, may well be part of the "fix".

That's them stating the obvious then, otherwise there would be no problem!

Booking the Yeti in with the dealer for it's fourth annual service, I said that I don't want any 'cheat-fixing' software updates to be installed at this stage, should such be available at the time.  I was reassured that nothing is yet in the pipeline for the Yeti (the Superb might be a different case?); we might well be looking at early next year before there's any action.  It was suggested that a signed note of rejection might be a condition at the point where an update is actually offered, which sounds quite fair to me, 

My Yeti just had it's MOT last Saturday and I ask the dealer. He recons it going to be a few months before they start doing the work on the yeti.

To be honest I like my car as it is and won't be getting the update.

• Like 1

Two members of my family had their Audi's done three weeks ago, the technician came to their house and did both cars Q5 and 2litre Avant in about 20 minutes. Both do substantial mileage every day and there is no difference in performance or fuel consumption. What's the hold up with Skoda starting doing it?

Two members of my family had their Audi's done three weeks ago, the technician came to their house and did both cars Q5 and 2litre Avant in about 20 minutes. Both do substantial mileage every day and there is no difference in performance or fuel consumption. What's the hold up with Skoda starting doing it?

Maybe it's to do with Audi being the premium arm of VW Group, and they feel it's better to keep their Audi customers happy first as they no doubt make more money out of them. IIRC, a large amount of VAG's Q1/2016 profits were generated by Audi.