Emissions Recall

thedinger

My Yeti just had it's MOT last Saturday and I ask the dealer. He recons it going to be a few months before they start doing the work on the yeti.

To be honest I like my car as it is and won't be getting the update.

I'm wondering if the 'fix' is simply the removal of the cheat software as VW insist it's only the U.S. where illegality exists.

Fines outside the U.S. may only be for a German company's dishonest behaviour, perhaps.

I have no problem with the disarming of the cheat device in the software but still maintain that I would need to see clear evidence of no loss in performance. Ideally dyno before and after software change.

It is more than that. With the 1.6 they are also having to fit a 'flow modifier' in the air inlet. I shall be asking some searching questions when they contact me, about what exactly the change will be, how precisely it modifies how the engine works. And, perhaps provocatively, if it is a simple software update that does not changed how the engine runs, why not do this in the first place?

I thought that VW did admit that the software did kick in during emissions testing?

If so then just removing the cheat would mean that a test car would fail the test and therefore the type approval. So any changes to the software would have to mean that a car with updated software would pass the lab test and one would think have an effect on the real world performance?

I think it's the type approval that's the problem. Otherwise why bother as we all know that on road results rarely/never achieve those obtained the lab.

I thought that VW did admit that the software did kick in during emissions testing?

If so then just removing the cheat would mean that a test car would fail the test and therefore the type approval. So any changes to the software would have to mean that a car with updated software would pass the lab test and one would think have an effect on the real world performance?

I think it's the type approval that's the problem. Otherwise why bother as we all know that on road results rarely/never achieve those obtained the lab.

I suspect there isn't such a problem during the test with the cheat deleted (outside of the U.S.) but a much worse 'real world on road' problem.

To me, the cheat was only for the much stricter U.S. standard and SCR has fixed all now.

• 2 weeks later...

Simply Clever.  

They want to charge for the Diagnostic to show these issues came from 'the fix', so you pay that which is going to be refunded,

& the VW Group are due to recompense you for your time at your hourly rate, and there is your out of pocket expenses, plus they have to return your vehicle to merchantable quality.