Cambelt ,timing belt change interval

1st change done 80000 miles, vehicle mileage now 142000 miles ,is the rule now every 60000 miles ? If so any recommendations Midlands area garages ? Mines a ASV diesel,variable servicing.

VW quote 60k or every 5 years for the AUQ engine (same as VRS). Skoda have decided that 40k & 4 years is better, of course it's nothing to with the extra revenue that brings. :clap: 

VW quote 60k or every 5 years for the AUQ engine (same as VRS). Skoda have decided that 40k & 4 years is better, of course it's nothing to with the extra revenue that brings. :clap:

News to me, AUQ was 60k when I was at Skoda.

I was told 60k or 5yrs when i rang skoda dealers about getting mine done after 50k since first change at 100k... ALH diesel..

was told, when i said i thought it was 50k that it had been revised upwards - that was around april 2014 iirc

Edited by mac11irl

To be honest does it really matter what they recommend IMO its worth doing every 4-5 years or 60k.

For the sake of a few hundred quid you have piece of mind.

For engines from 05/2001 to 04/2002 every 75K (120,000KM) from 05/2002 every 94K (150,000KM) with the earlier engine if the pulley tensioner is replaced with part number 038 109 244M then it reverts to the later service mileage  

To be honest does it really matter what they recommend IMO its worth doing every 4-5 years or 60k.

For the sake of a few hundred quid you have piece of mind.

This. Dealers these days also recommend changing your oil every 20k miles instead of 10k, which causes huge problems with modern cars, so its not as if their rules are some flawless guidelines. 

Just received a email from Škoda customer relations in Sheffield confirming the interval is 100,000 miles !,/ 4 years Didn't expect it to be that high a mileage ,put my question to bed.

Just received a email from Škoda customer relations in Sheffield confirming the interval is 100,000 miles !,/ 4 years Didn't expect it to be that high a mileage ,put my question to bed.

Wow, they've changed their tune.

There was alot of discussion on here a few years back as Skoda dealers were advising 40.000miles/ 4 years for the AUQ when VW were stating 60.00miles/5years for the same engine. When I questioned my local Skoda dealer about this at the time they claimed that due to water pump impellor failure they were advising a reduced interval.

Personally I'll be sticking with 60.000 miles & 5 years, which I've kept to with all of my VAG cars without issue so far.

Edited by pauldazzle

• 1 year later...

Just to let everyone know my 1.9 tdi is now 15 years old & only done 30,000. Cam belt has still to be changed.

I guess if I have it changed the rest of the car will probably rot away around it ?

3 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Eh... id say your cam belt is about disintegrate from just age related corrosion..

Bit like me then? :)

Just showing people they dont have too worry much about 4 years.

I had a new fan a while back and the guy looked at the belt, sating it looked to be sound. He reckons hard driving will kill one much quicker then either gentle driving or age deterioration. Therefor, take from that what you will. Drive hard, change more frequently, drive like an old lady, change at the 100,000 mile interval.

• 11 months later...

I I’ve replaced my timing belt n pulleys in my asv 1.9tdi Octavia with an INA kit does this change anything with mileage to getting the belt changed ? My tensioner has sheered before I even got the cover off so extremely lucky I didn’t jump a tooth or two car ran fine just overheated sometimes lol thought was headgasket but been fine since 

• 5 months later...

The 5 YRS/ 60K miles seams a reasonable interval (for a 2003/ALH engine). If you increase it just risk your engine and the car beyond economical repair.