First Impressions

andyspan

Had the 1.4 L&K for the best part of a week now and so far very impressed.

The Petrol Blue (although not my first choice of colour) looks stunning in sunlight but shows the dirt far more than the Aqua Blue of our first one, so will need to wash it a bit more regularly!

The 1.4Tsi engine is a gem, far more responsive and is bringing out the long forgotten boy racer in me, s**it off a shiny shovel springs to mind! :devil: 

The Amundsen sat nav is far easier to use than I feared and works very well, I prefer it to our Garmin unit as the route instructions seem to be clearer.

The sun roof is great and the cabin is a far nicer place to be with daylight streaming through.

The wife wonders why there is a mixture of brown and black on the interior trim and it should be all one or the other, I personally quite like it.

Haven't used all the bells and whistles yet and salesman advised us to find a safe place to try out the self parking gismo, will need to pluck up courage to try this!

Might be my imagination but car feels a lot more sure footed with the 4 wheel drive.

DAB radio was an unexpected bonus, must have missed this in the brochure.

The only thing I would have liked is a spare wheel so will probably get a kit later. Mind you, the extra boot space may be something we don't want to give up on.

All in all very pleased so far :happy:   

• Like 1

Hi,

Buying a spare wheel with a new Yeti I believe adds on another £150 but to buy the spare wheel after registration will bring tears to your eyes. Good luck.

My wife Bron and I love our new Yeti SE L 2.0 diesel; I'm running it in steadily and have just fuelled it up to find it's averaging 60.1mpg during two decent motorway journeys which I believe is brilliant. Great cars.

Kind regards, Col.

Hi,

Buying a spare wheel with a new Yeti I believe adds on another £150 but to buy the spare wheel after registration will bring tears to your eyes. Good luck.

My wife Bron and I love our new Yeti SE L 2.0 diesel; I'm running it in steadily and have just fuelled it up to find it's averaging 60.1mpg during two decent motorway journeys which I believe is brilliant. Great cars.

Kind regards, Col.

Yes, I bought the 1st Yeti new and specified the spare, this one I bought at 7months old so didn't have the choice :|

I see there's a few kits on ebay, one just the raised floor and tool kit and would have to buy the wheel separately, a lot cheaper than Skoda prices!

Think I'll just keep my eyes open and wait for a bargain. 

Hi,

I was amazed when Bron and I bought the new spare wheel for our Yeti; I expected the usual jack and tool kit with the spare simply clamped into the well; I watched as the spare wheel was installed; three large mouldings were secured into position these around the wheel; the wheel was placed in right way up which is brilliant as it makes checking the tyre pressure so much easier; a replacement boot floor liner is also supplied with the kit this then gives a nice level boot area avoiding a deep lip; I can understand the extra cost but it sure hurt our piggy bank.

The Yeti has just bitten me; I've been washing and drying it which was going well until I opened up a deep wound on a finger from the exhaust tail pipes which are like razors; with blood pouring from the wound I came up into the bungalow for some TLC from Bron. I'll be careful in future around the exhaust because like the late Tony Hancock I can't keep giving an armful of blood.

After washing and drying the Yeti I then went over with Greased lightning Showroom Shine so now the Yeti is truly gleaming.

I'm now wondering about buying a pair of snow tyres in readiness for winter or do I wait because the fitted tyres being brand new have very deep treads; I'd like to buy two spare wheels rather than keep changing tyres; we do very little mileage when it's icy so two snow tyres up front will get me home from the supermarkets; I did this with a previous Aygo and it worked perfectly as long as I drove slowly especially around bends because the rear end gets very lively indeed? I bought Avon Ice Touring Pattern tyres from My Tyres for the Aygo.

Kind regards, Col.

Did you not keep the spare from the previous Yeti?

Tony

The main problem with doing this was all the surrounding boxes etc. are different on the 2wd and wouldn't have fitted the new 4wd model and would have complicated matters.

The main problem with doing this was all the surrounding boxes etc. are different on the 2wd and wouldn't have fitted the new 4wd model and would have complicated matters.

Really?  I swapped mine from a 2WD to a 4WD with no problem (at least the dealer did) and I've requested the same with the new 2WD when it arrives.

Fred

I've just ordered a 2.0ltr L&K in Jungle Green with a spare wheel and folding front passenger seat last Tuesday, the salesman said he would let me know expected delivery when the order was place with Skoda and they get a build week,

Can I ask when you placed your order?

I have read on another post that Skoda close down in August for holidays

Hope you enjoy your car as much as I have ( This is my third)

Really?  I swapped mine from a 2WD to a 4WD with no problem (at least the dealer did) and I've requested the same with the new 2WD when it arrives.

Lucky you Fred, suppose they must have had some of the proper ones hanging around. It is well covered on the forum somewhere the differences between 2 and 4wd spare wheel kits (the wheels of course are the same).

Anyway, I didn't realise how much extra space you get in the boot without the wheel but will still carry on looking

Great review,if only they did the 1.4 with auto dsg. Then i would have bought 1.

The spare wheel kit is around £250 from skoda dealers delivered to your door maybe do a deal with your selling dealer.,it is a great back up if the supplied sealant fails. Some of the boot floor is lost due to the spare wheel kit but how often do you need all the boot space ?.

So having the sealant repair gunk and a spacesaver spare wheel,well you will never be stranded  :clap:

I've just ordered a 2.0ltr L&K in Jungle Green with a spare wheel and folding front passenger seat last Tuesday, the salesman said he would let me know expected delivery when the order was place with Skoda and they get a build week,Can I ask when you placed your order?I have read on another post that Skoda close down in August for holidaysHope you enjoy your car as much as I have ( This is my third)

Skoda are back at work usually the last couple of weeks it's the close down. The scheduling usually happens on a Tuesday and Thursday so I've been told. It will depend on the spec and options.

Edited by ernieb

Have you tried the voice control, it can be used on all functions radio nav phone.

Presss the nav button on the radio then the voice control on the wheel and it gives a list of commands, but is basically common sense commands, works well and saves pressing loads of buttons lol.

Press radio or phone and it works the same way as the nav, love it so simple.

But I wondered why it would not work the phone at first lol, then found out you have to press the phone button on the radio first, then found the rest work the same, OK  I  will RTFM one day, only on yeti number 4 so maybe next year I will read the manual  :D .

I'm now wondering about buying a pair of snow tyres in readiness for winter or do I wait because the fitted tyres being brand new have very deep treads; I'd like to buy two spare wheels rather than keep changing tyres; we do very little mileage when it's icy so two snow tyres up front will get me home from the supermarkets; I did this with a previous Aygo and it worked perfectly as long as I drove slowly especially around bends because the rear end gets very lively indeed? I bought Avon Ice Touring Pattern tyres from My Tyres for the Aygo.

Kind regards, Col.

NOOOOOOOOO - whatever you do don't run with winter tyres on the front and summer on the rear. VERY dangerous indeed - think about it, plenty of grip and traction up front and none at the rear. If you have an accident and an insurance assessor sees it your claim would probably be 'toast' too. Either get 4 winter tyres or none. Or, when you need new tyres go for a set odd all season tyres.

• Like 2

Have you tried the voice control, it can be used on all functions radio nav phone.

Presss the nav button on the radio then the voice control on the wheel and it gives a list of commands, but is basically common sense commands, works well and saves pressing loads of buttons lol.

But I wondered why it would not work the phone at first lol, then found out you have to press the phone button on the radio first, then found the rest work the same, OK  I  will RTFM one day, only on yeti number 4 so maybe next year I will read the manual  :D .

My only frustration with it is you can't do this with an initial voice command. So, for example if the screen is in Nav, press the speak button on the wheel and say "phone" - then off you go with the phone commands.

Hi,

Thanks Falmouthboy. Bron and I are retired and when the weather around here is very bad with snow and ice the only driving I do is a mile away to the shops/supermarkets; I fitted snow tyres to the front driving wheels only on our Aygo and it worked fine for three seasons; as long as the front wheels went where pointed I knew the rear end could be lively but I kept the speed well down so never encountered problems; we live on a small private estate which is very steep being on a valley side; the last couple of bends just as we arrive home always strands cars so the two snow tyres worked a treat; I wouldn't recommend anyone just to fit a pair of snow tyres on the driving wheels then think the car safe. A few years ago there was a lot of problems with insurance companies charging extra when snow tyres were fitted treating these as a modification.

Fitting the snow tyres to the front wheels of the Aygo was a revelation. I needed to visit our local post office up the valley it being only half a mile away but Rowley Lane is very very steep and was covered in sheet ice. At the junction from our estate onto Rowley Lane were roadworks and the usual red traffic lights so I stopped; a single decker bus came down the lane being driven extremely slowly and as it passed me I could imagine the driver thinking I've no chance of going up the lane? With the lights on green I drove up the icy lane as though it was dry tarmac which truly amazed me; all the way up the lane were stranded cars with their drivers and passengers haven't to walk; they looked amazed as our little Aygo drove slowly past them; I visited the post office and set off back home but now I was worried in case the Aygo broke away down this steep lane? I came down past the school again passing lots of walkers and at the very steepest part of the lane I had to stop and wait; a guy was trying to come up the lane with his wheels spinning he reached about half way up this steep part when suddenly he found himself looking in the opposite direction as his car spun; he abandoned his car and set off walking; now the turn of a young lady in her car who made a very brave attempt in fact I thought she was going to make it but just as she reached me her car stopped losing traction and she was forced to back up to abandon her car. I was just sitting watching all this unfold before me.

I could now proceed and having seen the cars spin or come to a halt I wondered if I would suddenly find myself very quickly in the valley bottom; I set off slowly and the Aygo went where pointed under full control while I feathered the brakes; the queue of cars had kindly left a gap at the very steep junction up into our estate; I drove through the gap and up the short steep hill to the next junction where I turned left; I'll never forget the expressions on the faces as the Aygo drove up the steep hill without wheelspin and under full control; I didn't even have a run at the hill due to the junction at the bottom. One of our neighbours Rosemary was standing on the second junction having seen me drive up the steep hill and she was absolutely amazed as I passed her with a wave; the postman also watched me as he was on foot doing his rounds.

I arrived back home without any trouble whatsoever and backed the car onto our driveway; the postman by now had caught up and came to me asking how the heck out little Aygo had come up all the steep icy hills so easily; I explained the Aygo was fitted with a pair of Avon Ice Touring Pattern Tyres to the front driving wheels.

I'll never ever forget that particular short journey; by the third season the snow tyres having worn a bit appeared to lose some of their magic but I was glad to have the snow tyres fitted; one thing about snow tyres only fitted to the front driving wheels is that the driving wheels are under control even if the rear wheels lose direction; isn't this rather better than no snow tyres where all four wheels lose traction ending up in a ditch? I used to fit the snow tyres in November and remove them in March. I bought a pair of steel wheels through Gumtree costing £25 the pair and the Avon tyres were bought through "Mytyres" coming directly from Germany in two days; it cost £15 to have the tyres fitted and balanced then all I had to do was to jack the car up and change wheels.

This worked for me but then I'm no longer a boy racer and I wouldn't recommend fitting only two snow tyres but I found the two snow tyres always got me home safely; normal tyres would have had the Aygo joining the rest of the abandoned vehicles down Rowley lane.

Just a little story I've told many times; I would have loved to learn the thoughts of those who had abandoned their vehicles as they watched me drive past in the Aygo and how many of them think an Aygo must be a wonderful car in ice and snow? I would never ever ft just two snow tyres to the drive wheels on a rear drive car as it would be lethal.

Anyone else got a similar story regarding fitting two snow tyres only?

Kind regards, Col.

• Like 1

Hi Fabcol

I just wish it was legal to fit snow socks to my car instead of specifically diamond pattern snow chains as demanded by our 'managed' snow fields in Victoria.

Mt Hotham has Audi as a major sponsor too..........hmmm.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks Falmouthboy. Bron and I are retired and when the weather around here is very bad with snow and ice the only driving I do is a mile away to the shops/supermarkets; I fitted snow tyres to the front driving wheels only on our Aygo and it worked fine for three seasons; as long as the front wheels went where pointed I knew the rear end could be lively but I kept the speed well down so never encountered problems; we live on a small private estate which is very steep being on a valley side; the last couple of bends just as we arrive home always strands cars so the two snow tyres worked a treat; I wouldn't recommend anyone just to fit a pair of snow tyres on the driving wheels then think the car safe. A few years ago there was a lot of problems with insurance companies charging extra when snow tyres were fitted treating these as a modification.

Fitting the snow tyres to the front wheels of the Aygo was a revelation. I needed to visit our local post office up the valley it being only half a mile away but Rowley Lane is very very steep and was covered in sheet ice. At the junction from our estate onto Rowley Lane were roadworks and the usual red traffic lights so I stopped; a single decker bus came down the lane being driven extremely slowly and as it passed me I could imagine the driver thinking I've no chance of going up the lane? With the lights on green I drove up the icy lane as though it was dry tarmac which truly amazed me; all the way up the lane were stranded cars with their drivers and passengers haven't to walk; they looked amazed as our little Aygo drove slowly past them; I visited the post office and set off back home but now I was worried in case the Aygo broke away down this steep lane? I came down past the school again passing lots of walkers and at the very steepest part of the lane I had to stop and wait; a guy was trying to come up the lane with his wheels spinning he reached about half way up this steep part when suddenly he found himself looking in the opposite direction as his car spun; he abandoned his car and set off walking; now the turn of a young lady in her car who made a very brave attempt in fact I thought she was going to make it but just as she reached me her car stopped losing traction and she was forced to back up to abandon her car. I was just sitting watching all this unfold before me.

I could now proceed and having seen the cars spin or come to a halt I wondered if I would suddenly find myself very quickly in the valley bottom; I set off slowly and the Aygo went where pointed under full control while I feathered the brakes; the queue of cars had kindly left a gap at the very steep junction up into our estate; I drove through the gap and up the short steep hill to the next junction where I turned left; I'll never forget the expressions on the faces as the Aygo drove up the steep hill without wheelspin and under full control; I didn't even have a run at the hill due to the junction at the bottom. One of our neighbours Rosemary was standing on the second junction having seen me drive up the steep hill and she was absolutely amazed as I passed her with a wave; the postman also watched me as he was on foot doing his rounds.

I arrived back home without any trouble whatsoever and backed the car onto our driveway; the postman by now had caught up and came to me asking how the heck out little Aygo had come up all the steep icy hills so easily; I explained the Aygo was fitted with a pair of Avon Ice Touring Pattern Tyres to the front driving wheels.

I'll never ever forget that particular short journey; by the third season the snow tyres having worn a bit appeared to lose some of their magic but I was glad to have the snow tyres fitted; one thing about snow tyres only fitted to the front driving wheels is that the driving wheels are under control even if the rear wheels lose direction; isn't this rather better than no snow tyres where all four wheels lose traction ending up in a ditch? I used to fit the snow tyres in November and remove them in March. I bought a pair of steel wheels through Gumtree costing £25 the pair and the Avon tyres were bought through "Mytyres" coming directly from Germany in two days; it cost £15 to have the tyres fitted and balanced then all I had to do was to jack the car up and change wheels.

This worked for me but then I'm no longer a boy racer and I wouldn't recommend fitting only two snow tyres but I found the two snow tyres always got me home safely; normal tyres would have had the Aygo joining the rest of the abandoned vehicles down Rowley lane.

Just a little story I've told many times; I would have loved to learn the thoughts of those who had abandoned their vehicles as they watched me drive past in the Aygo and how many of them think an Aygo must be a wonderful car in ice and snow? I would never ever ft just two snow tyres to the drive wheels on a rear drive car as it would be lethal.

Kind regards, Col.

Lol!

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks Ryeman. I actually bought snow chains as well as the two snow tyres for our Aygo. I tried fitting the snow chain to an Aygo wheel whilst the wheel was dry on the workshop bench; I should never ever want to try this in anger though; it was a nightmare to accomplish so I can only guess the hassle it would be in a snow covered frozen roadside; fortunately the snow tyres always got me home safely.

Thanks freedie.

Out of interest I washed the Yeti yesterday and all went well until I was leathering it dry with a big new chamois; the Yeti bit me opening up a deep finger wound on the razor sharp exhaust tail pipes; the bumper obscured vision of the tailpipes but I quickly found them; pouring with blood I came up into the bungalow for some TLC from Bron who patched my finger up. With a brew in hand I then wandered back to the Yeti and donned a pair of gloves before carrying on. I've emailed Skoda informing them of this so will be interested in their reply. Strangely our first Aygo did exactly the same in opening up a deep wound; I emailed Toyota who passed my message on to the relevant department and I forgot all about it; when we bought our second brand new Aygo the exhaust tailpipe was nicely rounded so top marks Toyota.

Huge apology andyspan; I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Kind regards, Col.

• Like 1

Blimey, I see I'm going to have a wade through the handbook (eek) and try and fathom out what I've let myself in for! ;) 

Blimey, I see I'm going to have a wade through the handbook (eek) and try and fathom out what I've let myself in for! ;)

I find trial and error work best for me :D

• Like 1

I find trial and error work best for me :D

Yeah, that's my usual method too! I foresee a press this and see what happens session coming on :think: 

• Like 1

Don't forget your magnifying glass, and a photographic memory helps too.
  • Like 1

Hi,

Kind regards, Col.

We seem to have gone off topic - sorry OP.

I don't disagree with much of what you say about vastly improved traction on snow and ice. Having used them I'm well aware that winter tyres are surprisingly good in a range of winter conditions. However, my point still stands that you are on iffy ground with your insurance, most insurers now accept that OEM size winter tyres aren't a modification. However, this would not apply in your circumstances in mixed tyres. An Aygo is a small light car with narrow standard tyres so will be more predictable than a heavy Yeti. Also, the different tyre charchteristcs are relevant whenever you drive, not just on snow and ice.

Ultimately, it's your choice and you are clearly aware of the risks, sorry to have mentioned it.

Totally agree with you and I would change all the tyres.

But I suppose just having snow tyres on the front is no different to just fitting snow chains on the front wheels which I understand is acceptable? 

• Like 1

Totally agree with you and I would change all the tyres.

But I suppose just having snow tyres on the front is no different to just fitting snow chains on the front wheels which I understand is acceptable?

Don't forget the handbook says you can fit chain to the rear only!!!