To grease or not to grease that is the question...pad slides

Will be doing a brake overhaul soon of discs and pads all round (Pagid). Will be putting in new slide clips while I'm there...I assume this is a straightforward lever old out and push new in job? Should they be greased or left dry?

I'll also clean up the slide pins while I'm there. I don't have brake lubricant but I do have some silicone grease, is this ok considering the temperature and rubber boots?

Also can I confirm the torque settings for the slide pins (28-30nm) and carrier bolts (125nm)?

I have copper grease for the back of the pads.

Cheers

Any grease apart from copper slip on the slides will be fine.

Make sure the pads can slide in and out in the carrier too,make sure carrier is as clean as possible,wire brush/wheel in a drill etc.

Then a small smear of copper slip on the parts of the pad that slide in the carrier top and bottom :)

Cheers mate, are those torque settings right as well? Mind you I'd have thought grease on the pad slides might not be great as brake dust would stick to it and make it worse?

Edited by YellowCar

Not sure on the torque strings soz,carrier bolts are very tight though.

Also it's easy to damage the thread in the hubs removing the carrier bolts, if you look down between the disc and the hub to where the end of the carrier bolts poke out of the back of the hub the bolts get rusty.

spray them with WD40 or the like and let it soak before undoing them.

I personally prefer to use copper slip on the sliding part of pads,it does attract some dust but not enough to stop the pads sliding. :)

• Like 1

Will be doing a brake overhaul soon of discs and pads all round (Pagid). Will be putting in new slide clips while I'm there...I assume this is a straightforward lever old out and push new in job? Should they be greased or left dry?

- Yeah, they have two tiny little wider parts that push between the carrier, roughly where the disc would sit, so just push in and out when replacing.

I'll also clean up the slide pins while I'm there. I don't have brake lubricant but I do have some silicone grease, is this ok considering the temperature and rubber boots?

I always use the red rubber grease for brake sliders, copper grease makes the rubbers swell and stick, as well as degrades the rubber quicker.

Also can I confirm the torque settings for the slide pins (28-30nm) and carrier bolts (125nm)?

I would almost advise not doing the carrier bolts to that torque, they strip easily and using a power bar to that torque might do the same. I was told they revised the troque due to the very thin threads and only approximately 15mm of threaded area to bite onto. I just do them as tight as i can with a standard 1/2" ratched, i check them all after a couple of miles and never had an issue, however ive stripped 2 because of torquing them. 

I have copper grease for the back of the pads.

- Copper grease is fine for the edges and back of the pads, just ovbiously not on the braking surface :D

Cheers

• Like 1

Red rubber grease, well I was one of these "clever" people that just had to buy a tub of that (ebay of course!) - only to find that I still had a couple of tubes of Girling rubber grease from a long time ago, along with some Girling blue mechanical brake grease!   I think that I tend to use silicon grease (ex FreeSat installation) on these slides and yes it does pick up some pad dust, but it still does its job okay and is better than these slides being left dry and some of the rubber sticking to them, so easier/quicker to clean them.

Edit:- I think that my master plan for dealing with the calliper carrier bolts was to reuse them once then next time use new ones - only reason for that being as said the heads do corrode a bit being in a nasty horrible position.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Cheers guys, new pads and discs arrived today. Mines an ibiza fr tdi but I assume exactly the same as fabia vrs...I was expecting to see clips on the back of the front pads where they push into the piston? But they're plain on both sides, is that right? I can see the outside pad on the car and that is plain, just wondering about the piston side.

All pads came with new bolts and I have some threadlock and I have the slide plates ready...just need time now

• 4 weeks later...