MY 2017 no more PID?

1963Malc

Just ordered a new SE L from the factory and have been told by the dealer about a few changes for 2017 MY that might happen to our car. Headlights will change to 2 separate bulbs. 15" alloys as standard. USB integration will replace CD player. But the main event is that the PID is being replaced by a holder for your phone. TomTom app will be FOC and will Bluetooth to the car.

Update - looks like the changes applied from 22/8/16 factory build to the SE L include as standard:-

- an updated radio with bigger screen, SD card (CD player gone) and 6 speakers

- phone holder and FOC TomTom app (PID gone)

- USB port

- new style 15" wheels

- rear parking sensors

- umbrella stored under passenger seat

- LED DRL in headlight pod

- Darkened rear light lenses

- New gear knob

- Climate control

Brilliant silver has gone and there's a new blue colour.

Still feeling nervous about iPhone connectivity and previous PID functions given the mess that Fabias had with Mirror link. Maybe it just connects Bluetooth from your phone to the car speakers for calls, music and NAV instructions?

Edited by MrsVivsOH

what happens if you don't have a phone or like me a non android / iPhone

I would have to go buy an app and possibly my phone would not fit the holder?  as I have a Lumia 950 5.2inch screen, I would never have a droid or crapple phone

also no more usefull at a glance trip computer screen, the change from garmin to Tom Tom is interesting, could Tom Tom not provide a unit that connected to can bus to read the vehicle stats like the old PID?

• Like 1

I rather take phone connectivity than PID. I never bought PID as I thought someone needs it more than I, and smash my car window to have it.

There should be a maxidot for 2017 model as optional extra.

what happens if you don't have a phone or like me a non android / iPhone

I would have to go buy an app and possibly my phone would not fit the holder?  as I have a Lumia 950 5.2inch screen, I would never have a droid or crapple phone

also no more usefull at a glance trip computer screen, the change from garmin to Tom Tom is interesting, could Tom Tom not provide a unit that connected to can bus to read the vehicle stats like the old PID?

If you have a windows phone, then you are in the massive, massive minority.

This is simply a cost saving - cheaper to pay TomTom for a license than continue to produce a custom PID with Garmin which aged badly and was slow as ****.

• Like 1

Oh crap! I didn't know about the MY 2017 changes until we'd committed to buy a new CITIGO. Now we've been wetting our knickers about the exact impact on our deal (quite a lot of bits that are now standard, we've ordered in packs anyway - it's very nearly fully loaded so might be less expensive) I rang through to the dealer (who must curse my name) who has assured me he's managed to order exactly the car we wanted in MY 2016, before the cut-off.

I've just explained to the dealer that it's not often that I order cars from a factory and that once my wife found out about MY changes there is now an expectation to get them, but I needed to understand how the assumptions work so we know what we're going to get. To be fair to the dealer they have now committed to research it for me and get us a MY2017. I think they might have been a bit keen to get the deal delivered in September.

It felt really good when we committed to buy it but I don't think I've been as anxious about buying any other car since then. The MY2017 with our big spec, ought to cost a lot less and we're intending to keep it so the revised spec will keep it looking newish for a while longer. FINGERS CROSSED

I've just been to look at a new VW UP, which used to be roughly the same as the CITIGO instrument wise. I like the new radio layout and the phone cradle has 3 claws on it that easily took the iPhone 6 with room to spare. Bluetooth for phone book and music not a problem. There was a usb in the dash, accessible through the base of the phone holder so a very short usb-lightning cable won't be in the way. Hopefully SKODA won't divert too far from the UP in this respect.

Happier with the prospect of MY 2017 on CITIGO, just need the dealer to confirm the detail of the add ons and of course, the price.

Had a look in my local VW dealer yesterday to see if they had the new Up! on display and of course they did not.You can order the car but cannot sit in one or have a test drive!.

Had a look in my local VW dealer yesterday to see if they had the new Up! on display and of course they did not.You can order the car but cannot sit in one or have a test drive!.

Must have been lucky that my local VW had a special Beats edition in the showroom with the new interior in it. Sales chap said it was possible to order the 90bhp UP for September, presumably built then not delivered.

Had a quick look on the vw up website and it still shows maps and more not sure if on all models as I was on the mobile version which seemed cumbersome

Also looked like the wing drepeater have gone and moved to the mirrors

Edited by malcster

I think I need to call the dealer about this. I ordered my SE L (also fully loaded) during Skodas 0% event a couple of weeks ago, there was no mention of MY17 and potential spec changes from the brochure. The factory was on a thee week shut down at the time so the order will only just have been placed by the dealer. If they can't deliver what I want I might be asking for my deposit back.

I can understand why they would want to replicate the likes of ford with an android O/S running systems, by just plugging in your own phone, But I would miss the consumption screen.

And sadly it encourages use of more apps that distract the driver like texting.

They may have their own app that emulates the current setup, but you will just use your own.

Hopefully the will make the ODBC2 data (mpg, revs etc) available via bluetooth as well, so you can run an app to read the data. I think it would be nice if all cars had ODBC2 on bluetooth.

Also leaving my screen of my phone on to get satnav makes the phone get VERY hot, which I wouldnt want.

ahh, ok, so it looks like it will have its own app as well as tomtom links - and the existing radio larger screen will show the pid data, even the radio stations can be controlled off the wheel, and will reflect on your phone...

looks like a good compromise, and quite forward thinking really, rather than as suggested, building a bespoke piece of hardware.

• Like 1

losing the PID from the citigo (even as an option) is an own goal by Skoda.

The majority of their customer base will not have smart mobile phone

I'm guessing TomTom licence was more attractive than the garmin?!

I disagree. Who wouldn't have smart phone these days? If and when we are talking about Europe.

You also get pretty decent smart phone for the price of a PID.

• Like 1

for many, my wife included the PID is one of their  reasons for choosing the elegance / SE L and many older people still have a brick not even a feature phone, let alone a smart phone

• Like 1

I disagree. Who wouldn't have smart phone these days? If and when we are talking about Europe.

You also get pretty decent smart phone for the price of a PID.

Although I do have smart phone............ many many people do not. My point is should these people be penalised because they dont? 

The demographics of Skoda owners although varied, in terms of aged is known to attached the clever buyer which in terms of this post usually indicated a 'mature' buyer

The PID was shocking for the Bluetooth speaker while on the move, but its actually function of touch screen was sized correctly and very easy to use.

Maybe its different in other parts of Europe?!

• Like 1

losing the PID from the citigo (even as an option) is an own goal by Skoda.

The majority of their customer base will not have smart mobile phone

I'm guessing TomTom licence was more attractive than the garmin?!

I agree.

What do you base that on?  (Though my personal experience shows that if she they can't operate a smartphone then operating the PID is also beyond her them!

Probably!

ahh, ok, so it looks like it will have its own app as well as tomtom links - and the existing radio larger screen will show the pid data, even the radio stations can be controlled off the wheel, and will reflect on your phone...

looks like a good compromise, and quite forward thinking really, rather than as suggested, building a bespoke piece of hardware.

New display looks a lot better, especially if the radio etc are improved over the Mk1. But IMO the provision of a phone holder and TomTom app is a cop out and looks cheap and Halfords at their worst.

Pity the original PID was weak and the controls not user-friendly and also a pity they probably won't offer something like it across the range, even as an accessory.