DIY space saver spare wheel assembly.

EZ_lo

30 minutes ago, Shaunieboy said:

Jesus wept mate.... are you alright? Go for a run or something.

5 minutes ago, Shaunieboy said:

You have assumed a lot. Nothing worth discussing further from me.

Oh dear!!
So you don't like being told you've done something potentially dangerous and illegal, and probably wasted your money.
Byee.

Guys, it seems odd to me since buying a yeti and moving from a fabia vrs that the fabia forum people offer friendly help and advice and with the yeti it seems opinions get spouted about but no real help offered.  

Please prove my assumptions wrong.

Can I ask what is the ‘real safe and legal’ spare wheel for our cars?  I’ve got a full size spare, but what is the correct space saver to use?  Or are all space savers illegal to use on a yeti?

If the latter is correct, how come the following is being sold to the public?

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/skoda-yeti-17-space-saver-spare-wheel.html

Thank you in advance.

• Confused 1

There is only one wheel and tyre combination Type Approved as a spare for all Yetis, be they equipped originally with 16" or 17" wheels

It is a 16" steel wheel fitted with a 205/60r16 tyre.

There are no Laws that prevent any retailer selling anything (in general) and plenty sell things that aren't allowed or need a licence. For example it is illegal to sell radio blockers but these are available, or in the motoring world,  there are plenty of companies willing to make and sell number plates without getting the paperwork that is legally required.

I am quite sure that if Skoda had decided that it was safe to fit the Yeti with one of those ultra-thin spares they would have done so. However they didn't and only approved the one above.  Ours is not to query why this is, nor is it for us to presume that we know better than the car designers, and that is exactly what the person above has done. Frankly I have no sympathy for someone who could easily be endangering his own life but also anyone else on the road if this unapproved fitment caused an accident.

Plenty of people have asked in the past on here where to get a spare and in EVERY case they have been advised to get the proper Skoda approved, Type Approved one. That advice is not difficult to find.

Edited by Llanigraham

There you go then, thank you for clarifying the issue with the spare.

I shall be returning my Yeti to the main dealer from whence it came as my spare is a 195/60/16.  I cannot believe they’d sell me a car with a non type approved spare size.

Your information will prove to be very useful to me, they don’t have a leg to stand on now.

All hail the power of internet information!

As regards to the space saver, I did think it was a option when ordering from new.

One does indeed live and learn.

Thank you!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

There is only one wheel and tyre combination Type Approved as a spare for all Yetis, be they equipped originally with 16" or 17" wheels

It is a 16" steel wheel fitted with a 205/60r16 tyre.

Are you sure?

5L0601011C appears to be the 'approved' space saver/temporary spare for a Yeti which is 6,0Jx16 ET50 steel rim with a 195/60 R16 89H tyre fitted. As expected, you'll be limited to 50mph/80kph while it's fitted.

• Like 1

OK I got the size slightly wrong since I couldn't be bothered to go out and look in the boot of my car in the snow.
Other than that "mistake"  there has only ever been the one tyre and wheel combination Type Approved for ALL Yetis.
No 17" or 18" ultra-narrow wheel tyres have been Approved.

4 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

OK I got the size slightly wrong since I couldn't be bothered to go out and look in the boot of my car in the snow

No worries, it'll save @mac26 an embarrassing trip to the dealers given the size he mentioned is correct for the Yeti :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My thanks to EZ_lo for this useful post. I am in the process of making up the DIY space saver assembly as show in the photo's. I have noted all the comments made on this thread so far re space saver wheels and if (when) I get a puncture will put the space saver on the rear of my Yeti and limp at low speed to a tyre repair shop. I have just purchased a 2016 Yeti (with tyre foam & compressor) the thought of a puncture on the M6 at night, in the rain (and no spare) fills me with dread!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaybird said:

My thanks to EZ_lo for this useful post. I am in the process of making up the DIY space saver assembly as show in the photo's. I have noted all the comments made on this thread so far re space saver wheels and if (when) I get a puncture will put the space saver on the rear of my Yeti and limp at low speed to a tyre repair shop. I have just purchased a 2016 Yeti (with tyre foam & compressor) the thought of a puncture on the M6 at night, in the rain (and no spare) fills me with dread!

And the thought of anyone trying to change a wheel, especially an off-side one on ANY motorway fills me with dread. It is far too risky!!
You stop, get out of the car and over the barriers and phone the emergency number.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Really useful design this, thanks EZ_Lo.  Will be carrying out a similar job on my yeti very soon. I have the spare wheel already  as I think it’s an essential spare ( especially when towing a caravan or abroad) . Thumbs up! 

• Like 1