West Meon Hut #42 - Tuesday 6th September

I think it's a matter of what you get used to driving. When I drive a turbo'd car now it feels quick low down to a point and I'm like woah I haven't experienced this in a while. But NA engines with at least half decent power give you much smoother delivery. There is also the sound thing. Not only does a 3 cylinder Fiesta Ecoboost (for example) sound rubbish, it also doesn't delivery decent real world economy. They aren't much better than my Swift on fuel and they are designed with the sole intention of being economical!

the problem I see is longevity, all the little 1.0 engines have to be worked hard just to keep up with everyday driving hence the poor economy, Where as bigger more powerful units barely break a sweat in daily driving hence they can often match the economy.

Back to longevity... Cant see many 1.0 ecoboost engines going much beyond 100k miles can you?? Where as the bigger Engines ( Honda 2.2 I-Dtec, VAG 1.9 & 2.0 TDi, etc etc ) often seen on auto trader with 150,175,200k Miles.

See many 1.0 eco boost Mondeo Taxi's around?.................... I think not.

Anyway, soon be Tuesday.................... oh yeah its tomorrow!!!

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I won't be able to make tomorrow now. I remember promising someone (not sure which forum) that I'd bring VCDS to look at their car - now working near Andover if it is urgent.

Hopefully see you all in October.

Has any checked that it's actually open this time?  Or that they have any food? ;)

Yes, but they've massively reduced the menu temporarily as there is literally no staff around. Me,Austen & David were there for a romantic dinner on Sunday.

They've cut the menu down to about 8 options (Cowboy still there).

They also said they're soon to be stopping 2 for 1 meals, whether that materialises yet or not will remain to be seen.

I think Austen has already started looking for potential alternatives should the 2 for 1 stop.

Edited by BJB540
  • Like 1

Yes, but they've massively reduced the menu temporarily as there is literally no staff around. Me,Austen & David were there for a romantic dinner on Sunday.

They've cut the menu down to about 8 options (Cowboy still there).

They also said they're soon to be stopping 2 for 1 meals, whether that materialises yet or not will remain to be seen.

I think Austen has already started looking for potential alternatives should the 2 for 1 stop.

Austen, David and you having a candle light Sunday supper?.............. that ladies and gentlemen is your disturbing mental image of the afternoon right there!

• Like 1

great meet guys :D good turn out and the food didnt end up being a total disaster, hopefully david chatting up the waitress will help for next time

What did David have to eat? Was it chicken with the bone in :notme::D

• Like 2

Good meet was fun.

Based on my previous post about two for one and low staff. Me and Austen had a chat with the manager/co-owner last night to see what it meant for us as a group basically. So, two for one is being stopped, it's not sustainable for them, they cannot afford chefs or staff at present. The new owners are more like consultants, i.e. go into "problem" places and sort them out. So two for one will stop, but prices are going to stay fair i.e. £7-12 for a meal, whereas with two for one we were looking at about £5 each, it'll be more like £7 each, which in terms of the good venue, the promise of better quality (or the quality we expect) isn't a massive price to pay.

The manager is going to contact me or Austen before each meet so we can give a rough idea of numbers, and staff accordingly for "us". There are also refurbs happening in the next couple of months, so we'll be notified if that impacts any dates we're due to attend so we can plan in advance should the pub be shut unlike what happened in August.

Such a well spoken young man.

• Like 3