Rear disc brake wear

Probably an identical 'leccy parking brake and rear disc setup on the Passat, hence the discs look just as nasty...

I did several hard e-brake stops from 30mph to 0* which seems to have cleaned the discs up a little. I think they are being under-used and crap is getting caught between the rear discs and pads, causing them to score a little. 

* In a massive, private and empty car park at work on a Saturday 

Probably an identical 'leccy parking brake and rear disc setup on the Passat, hence the discs look just as nasty...

I did several hard e-brake stops from 30mph to 0* which seems to have cleaned the discs up a little. I think they are being under-used and crap is getting caught between the rear discs and pads, causing them to score a little. 

* In a massive, private and empty car park at work on a Saturday 

How did you do that, when i applied the e-brake while driving it activates the front brakes too in full emergency fashion

Edited by RickTT

How did you do that, when i applied the e-brake while driving it activates the front brakes too in full emergency fashion

Presumably the same way you did it. I pulled up the parking brake switch until the car came to a (****ing sharp) halt. It cleaned the rear discs up for sure so I can only guess it puts full braking force on all 4 wheels. The ABS was working away too, which suggests it was braking at full force. AFAIK, there is no way to get just the rear brakes to apply.

When the car is on the move, the e-brake must be via the normal hydraulic braking function, rather than the electro-mechanical parking brake. Either way, it seems to give the rears a good workout. 

• 3 weeks later...

same problem. Problem?!? No, Škoda's "phenomeneon"

10k km on odo

Possibly a DSG 'phenomenon'?

I've a manual and my rear discs look fine, little or no wear, and I've always used the auto brake.

However, with the manual as soon as you start to release the clutch it releases the brake well before you get to the biting point. The only exception to this is if parked on a slope where it seems to hold until you pull away.

Possibly a DSG 'phenomenon'?

I've a manual and my rear discs look fine, little or no wear, and I've always used the auto brake.

However, with the manual as soon as you start to release the clutch it releases the brake well before you get to the biting point. The only exception to this is if parked on a slope where it seems to hold until you pull away.

Ditto, just checked my rear discs (150tdi manual) with 10k on the clock and no lip/wear. Fronts have a reasonable lip on them. Always use the autobrake.

• 3 weeks later...

My rear disks are completely shot after 9 months and 17k miles. Mostly motorway miles too. I took it to the dealer yesterday who said it was dirt, or the esp, anything really apart from the electric brake sticking on which I would think is the main suspect.

The fronts however look like they've just come out of the factory, so there's something not right.

Mines also accompanied by thudding coming from the rear axel, they belive it be a knackered wheel bearing. Its due its first service in another 1,900 miles so I think there's a lot of work to be done.

**edit - this is a l&k 150 manual

Edited by Leaffy

Regardless of 9 moths or 17k, the rear discs should not need replacing so soon.

Agreed, the rear discs on my 35k miles 2014 Superb II still look like they are new.

Is the electric handbrake causing the problem on the mkIII?

Somewhat concerned as I was considering a 1.4 ACT Superb III as my next car

Edited by bigjohn

My rear disks are completely shot after 9 months and 17k miles. Mostly motorway miles too. I took it to the dealer yesterday who said it was dirt, or the esp, anything really apart from the electric brake sticking on which I would think is the main suspect.

The fronts however look like they've just come out of the factory, so there's something not right.

Mines also accompanied by thudding coming from the rear axel, they belive it be a knackered wheel bearing. Its due its first service in another 1,900 miles so I think there's a lot of work to be done.

**edit - this is a l&k 150 manual

Offside front vs Offside rear 

post-137265-0-63319400-1474882698_thumb.jpg

post-137265-0-89145000-1474882699_thumb.jpg

The dealer I spoke too said they had received a notification from Skoda saying there is a problem with scratching of the disks, he said the remedy was to clean the brake pads and the braking function isn't affected. I questioned that saying "how are they dirty on the both sides scratching the same pattern into the disk?", to which the conversation moved to suggesting it the ESP which I don't buy for second.

I rang Skoda customer care line to see if they knew details of the dirty pads notice, and they haven't had anything reported on the vehicle. I've got a dealer nearer to work who have previously seemed more reliable in my experience, so I'll pop in there this week and see what they say.

• Like 1

If you drive the car hard and get out, (without even touching the brakes) the rear alloys are hot and stink of brake pads.

I think the ESP does work on the stability control as it should, however for general driving the rears are hardly used hence the build up and the lack of self cleaning

If you drive the car hard and get out, (without even touching the brakes) the rear alloys are hot and stink of brake pads.

I think the ESP does work on the stability control as it should, however for general driving the rears are hardly used hence the build up and the lack of self cleaning

Hey Rick. It's not this. My car gets a regular workout with lots of heavy braking. I make a point of this to stop them glazing and give them a good rough up/ clean.

Made no difference to mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning.

By chance parked yesterday my MK2 Superb "back to back" to a brand new MK3 Superb.

Looking at the back wheels, I was noticing something strange, but took me a minute to understand what is. 

Then it hit me: the MK3 has virtually no protection whatsoever to the back brake discs. Where the MK2 has a "mushroom" like piece of metal that’s way larger than the brake disc itself, the MK3 has just a very tiny flake of sheet metal that's just the size of the brake disc itself.

This might be the reason for the scratched brake disc in the rear: debris from the road are no longer kept at a distance by that protection, but are getting in contact with the brake disc and the brake pad is scratching on those against the disc...

This doesn't happed to the front discs because the wront wheels when turning are throwing the debris toward the rear wheels and the lack of that protection might just explain this fenomenon. 

Changing discs will not solve this, the only solution - that I can see - is somehow retrofitting that large metal protection from the MK2 to the MK3.

One more "simply clever" cost saving on the MQB platform - thanks VAG for this  :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Quite. Our 2.0 TSI is on almost 5k now and the rear disks are still immaculate. It's either a batch/variability thing or a driving conditions thing. 

Do you use the ACC much?

Then it hit me: the MK3 has virtually no protection whatsoever to the back brake discs. Where the MK2 has a "mushroom" like piece of metal that’s way larger than the brake disc itself, the MK3 has just a very tiny flake of sheet metal that's just the size of the brake disc itself.

This might be the reason for the scratched brake disc in the rear: debris from the road are no longer kept at a distance by that protection, but are getting in contact with the brake disc and the brake pad is scratching on those against the disc...

This doesn't happed to the front discs because the wront wheels when turning are throwing the debris toward the rear wheels and the lack of that protection might just explain this fenomenon. 

I took a picture - perhaps it is more relvant this way - of my rear wheel.

It is clearly visible that the disc protection is very well engineered, in the upper part it is well "dressing" the disc and in the lower side it is 2 fingers lower than the disc itself, to provide good cover to the disc, because the debris from he road are thrown towards the lower side of the wheel.

Mind you these are the OEM discs in the picture, the car has 50,000 miles 

I took a picture - perhaps it is more relvant this way - of my rear wheel.

post-114612-0-07649200-1475833652_thumb.jpg

Edited by Norian