Rear disc brake wear

Just a check here. The auto brake uses the service brake - hence the brake lights staying on. If you switch the ignition off with the auto brake on you can both hear and feel the parking brake actuator operating as it takes over from the service (hydraulic) system. Does the hill hold not do the same?

The service brakes are split diagonally not by axle so would not cause only rear wear.

The rear disc could also be a 'softer' iron alloy so more prone to marking?

I have a dsg estate and have recently had a problem with the rear offside brake squeaking after the car has been parked up for a number of hours it only lasted for 50 metres or so but bloody annoying. The discs had a few marks but nothing too much. The dealer took pads off cleaned and it sorted it for a couple of weeks. Then it started again. Just had fresh new pads put on the rear today and the discs are already lovely and clean. Possibly a bad batch of pads from the factory. Car has done 4k miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just wondered if anyone is having the same problem as me with the rear disks. My superb is a 15 plate with 7500 miles on it I have only had it two weeks.

There is a band of rust a good inch and a half from the outer of the disk going inward that never seems to clean after any journey. The brakes do seem good despite this problem and it is going back to the garage next week because I'm not happy with it.

Has anyone else had this problem.

I have a 150TDi dsg estate and can also confirm that my rear discs are not looking good after 8000 miles. Front ones are fine.

• 1 month later...

Any update on rear disc wear from people now on their first service? Mine is in to the dealer on Monday and I have the brakes down as a warranty item for inspection following a trip to the dealer last month and it was agreed they would take a closer look. The car is now on 17500 miles and seems that pads are not deploying correctly given how they look now...

Nearside ok-ish but not great

DSC_0449_zpst7ivfo1c.jpg

Offside are shocking on the otherhand.

DSC_0448_zpsrxvagrzu.jpg

Fronts are fine as you'd hope

DSC_0451_zpsh5wjflq5.jpg

It would be interesting to have the garage check rear brake efficiency and balance on the mot bay rollers

Any update on rear disc wear from people now on their first service? Mine is in to the dealer on Monday and I have the brakes down as a warranty item for inspection following a trip to the dealer last month and it was agreed they would take a closer look. The car is now on 17500 miles and seems that pads are not deploying correctly given how they look now...

Nearside ok-ish but not great

DSC_0449_zpst7ivfo1c.jpg

Offside are shocking on the otherhand.

DSC_0448_zpsrxvagrzu.jpg

Fronts are fine as you'd hope

DSC_0451_zpsh5wjflq5.jpg

It would be interesting to have the garage check rear brake efficiency and balance on the mot bay rollers

I would mention to them about seized pins for the sliding calipers, my rear discs look similar to your offside rear and there is a service replacement suitable for 4x4 Yeti's with Bosch rear brakes. Mine were like it last year when it went through the MOT and was fine on the braking efficiency as most garages don't have a rolling road set up suitable for 4x4 cars and have to use a decelerometer kit.

A portion of the how to guide made by The Plumber in the Yeti Technical Guide section of Briskoda:-

Had a number of issues with the rear callipers getting jammed on the sliders, so I'm replacing the sliders on both sides with a repair set, as individual parts are not available separately.

VAG P/N for the kit is 5K0698470; you will need two kits to do both rear callipers.

9630489688_67043c961b_c.jpg

Compared the old parts to the new; note the swelling and distortion of the bottom slider rubber sleeve (old slider very difficult to extract due to the state of the rubber sleeve).

9630488146_2858fa475f_c.jpg

Also noted the same issue with the gaiters."

9630488502_56b7577b2c_c.jpg

Edited by countryboy
  • Like 1

Back brakes of my 7k mile Octavia look similar also.

That theory about the caliper not applying and retracting properly sounds feasible...causing the pads to wear unevenly and only touch the discs in some places.

Maybe we should ask for brakes to be stripped And cleaned and slider pins lubed, and then see if that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I had Huddersfield dealer take a look at the unacceptable rear disc wear. They took photographs and promised to report back whether they will accept the wear as a warranty claim. What annoyed me was their dismissive view of this forum when I pointed out that this is not an isolated issue. The car has done only 5k miles.

I had Huddersfield dealer take a look at the unacceptable rear disc wear. They took photographs and promised to report back whether they will accept the wear as a warranty claim. What annoyed me was their dismissive view of this forum when I pointed out that this is not an isolated issue. The car has done only 5k miles.

That's where mine will be going when I ever book it in

The honest answer that owners need told is that using the cars as daily drivers and doing plenty miles are not an issue, the issue is not being used and surface corrosion and wear taking off rust.. It is now a long time since discs lasted for 3 times longer than brake pads. Well with the VW group it is the case

• Like 1

Update from Huddersfield dealer.

They will replace as wear and tear and not under warranty. If the car had done over 6.5k miles they would not replace FOC

This to me is unacceptable. If the discs wear again say in another 2k miles then I will have to pay.

They will replace as wear and tear and not under warranty. If the car had done over 6.5k miles they would not replace FOC

This to me is unacceptable. If the discs wear again say in another 2k miles then I will have to pay.

That's not good.. How can something which his not getting used be wear and tear ?

The Manufacturers Warranty does not cover consumables where there is 'Wear & Tear'  fair Wear & Tear not Consumables not fit for purpose 

or Fundamental Design or Manufacturing or Material failings.

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

"brake lining and disc pads".  page 4.

*Get the Dealership to show you the Pad Wear compared to the Discs and show where the Discs Premature Demise is in the Warranty Exclusions.*

Which is why Skoda UK have had to replace Brake Discs on Citigo, Spark Plugs in TSI's etc.

So raise a case with Skoda UK if a Dealership Employee just spouts the obvious and does not thing 'Premature Wear & Tear is an Issue'

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

The Manufacturers Warranty does not cover consumables where there is 'Wear & Tear'  fair Wear & Tear not Consumables not fit for purpose 

or Fundamental Design or Manufacturing or Material failings.

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

"brake lining and disc pads".  page 4.

*Get the Dealership to show you the Pad Wear compared to the Discs and show where the Discs Premature Demise is in the Warranty Exclusions.*

Which is why Skoda UK have had to replace Brake Discs on Citigo, Spark Plugs in TSI's etc.

So raise a case with Skoda UK if a Dealership Employee just spouts the obvious and does not thing 'Premature Wear & Tear is an Issue'

Thanks Offski I have emailed SUK and raised my case.

• Like 1

I see page 4 exclusions has the wear and tear 

& on page 5 the Fair wear and tear and says Brake Discs,  so remember to quote back to them the Fair wear and tear and in your opinion there is not Fair Wear and tear 

& the Area Warranty Manager can inspect the brakes if the Master Tech is not supporting your claim.

The honest answer that owners need told is that using the cars as daily drivers and doing plenty miles are not an issue, the issue is not being used and surface corrosion and wear taking off rust.. It is now a long time since discs lasted for 3 times longer than brake pads. Well with the VW group it is the case

Sorry but that's wrong. This didn't happen on my 2010 Scout and it didn't happen on my 2007 Octavia. My disks were looking pretty bad a month after a picked up the car. If you think my brakes don't get a workout on a regular basis then you are welcome to come with me for a drive ;-)

I predict that you could spend all day at Donnington, every day for a week and the rear disks would still look exactly the same.

Edited by Nick_H
  • Like 1

Damn that's not looking good for me then Phil.... I've just done over 8k although I did report it months ago but I doubt the service guys would remember .... Lesson learned I guess... Should have chased it immediately ... :-(

Nick_H,

It does not cover every set of discs or location location location or year of manufacture but lots of Discs on lots of VW Models are crap.

Sitting corroding just with surface rust does not help, 

and as i posted the other day this is about to be the 6th spring a fit a new set of discs to a 7 year old Skoda, 

but it sits around lots and just plays occasionally.  

So 66,000 miles, one set of original discs that Skoda Skimmed and i have fitted 5 sets since already.

PS.

On my 2 month old SEAT that has seen 4,000 miles now and quite a lot of salt, they arrived without even a hint of corrosion unlike many but it was built 3 weeks previous and there is not a hit of 'Rust' even in the crease.

But then they were covered in a nicer finish of silver on the non braking surface than previous ones i have had on new cars.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Nick_H,

It does not cover every set of discs or location location location or year of manufacture but lots of Discs on lots of VW Models are crap.

Sitting corroding just with surface rust does not help, 

and as i posted the other day this is about to be the 6th spring a fit a new set of discs to a 7 year old Skoda, 

but it sits around lots and just plays occasionally.  

So 66,000 miles, one set of original discs that Skoda Skimmed and i have fitted 5 sets since already.

Probably worth having a decent set of disks fitted when the time comes then instead of the OEM disks.... Guess we need someone to do just that and prove that its the material and not a design flaw with the braking system ...

• Like 1

LOL. Thanks for the advice. I think some have maybe done that though...

I have cars that have discs that never have rusty discs and they hardly move for weeks or months. Not VW Group obviously.

See post #1012

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/186943-the-fabia-vrs-review-and-photo-thread/page-34

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

LOL. Thanks for the advice. I think some have maybe done that though...

I have cars that have discs that never have rusty discs and they hardly move for weeks or months. Not VW Group obviously.

See post #1012

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/186943-the-fabia-vrs-review-and-photo-thread/page-34

Lol ! Sorry I didn't mean that the way it sounded ! I meant me :-D

• Like 1

I didn't come back to mine when it when in in mid December. Technician advised that not warranty item for reasons given above and said the calipers had been checked and were functioning correctly.

Like you I wasn't happy with this and had the technician look at the car with me and explain why the pads were seemingly not applying even pressure across the face of the disc. The car has done 18k in a year so is not under used. Admittedly I agreed that they were mostly motorway miles but it's not a Citigo, it is marketed as a motorway muncher.

The outcome was they took some photos saying they would email them to Skoda UK Technical.

That was mid December.

Have I heard anything back?

• Like 1