Rear disc brake wear

The last time i checked my discs a week or so back they where in a bad way surface wise (after a drive) with only approx 25% surface clear from the pads.. (see previous posts)

However i have checked them tonight (it is dark) but in fairness the surface does not look that bad and seems the full surface has been cleared...  The outer edge is covered in rust, but the outer surface is clean...

The only thing i can think of which has been different is we have a good covering in snow at the weekend and a lot of ice and at one point i had the ABS kicking in continuously.. (while going 5mph on our street) so i wonder if maybe the rear calipers kicked into life cleaning the surface?

20170118_174340_zpsfqdkiukg.jpg

20170118_170926_zpsewwgo19x.jpg

20170118_170910_zpsa3thuqj0.jpg

20170118_170906_zpsq5mtiyan.jpg

Hello all, I've been following g this post with interest.. please be nice to me I don't own a Skoda Superb, I have a Mondeo MK5 Powershift. It's done 12k miles and is a year old and also has an electric parking brake.

I can't seem to able to post a pic at the moment on here, however they look exactly the same as the other posters on here. Mine isn't an isolated case neither a number of other MK5 owners have this issue also here's the link..

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/307817-rear-brake-discs/page-1

• Like 2

Hello all, I've been following g this post with interest.. please be nice to me I don't own a Skoda Superb, I have a Mondeo MK5 Powershift. It's done 12k miles and is a year old and also has an electric parking brake.

I can't seem to able to post a pic at the moment on here, however they look exactly the same as the other posters on here. Mine isn't an isolated case neither a number of other MK5 owners have this issue also here's the link..

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/307817-rear-brake-discs/page-1

Interesting link - thanks for sharing.

Theres 2 types of Rear disc's  - Smaller ones and Bigger ones..  non Vented and vented..

My 150 TDI has the smaller non vented discs.

Are theses issues with wear present with the larger vented discs ? 

I am trying to find which discs fit which engines.....

3Q0615601   brake disc 300X12MM 5/112

745615600.png

Bremsscheiben56fe8a5071811_800x600.jpg

14 1K0615601N   brake disc (vented) 310X22MM 5/112, rear 2  

745615600.png

1K0615601N-M1004.jpg

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

Next thing to check if calipers are the same part number..

These discs vented or non vented are used in a wide spectrum of vag cars..need to check if there are any bulletins or the likes in place for cars within the vag range fitted with the same part numbers..

All,

Just out of interest whilst looking into rear brake disc wear I took a look at some 7 series BMW for sale and spotted a picture of a 7 series with only 5600 miles on the clock, in essence we are not alone with rear disc issues.

post-132346-0-50722300-1485112036_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Common issue with mk7 ,golf's as well so not confined to Skoda at all.

Had the exact issue with my gtd last year , initially vw irl would,nt replace the disc,s and pads at all ! They figured it was normal wear and tear .

I created such a stink about it though that my dealer Service manager relented and replaced the disc,s and pads foc in the end .

My belief was it was the calipers that was the problom ,either stiff or siezed slider pins though vw insisted they were moving freely. That was last October and I noticed uneven wear again in December.

Car is traded in now so not my problom anymore but I'll be keeping a close eye on the superb,s rear disc,s .

• 5 months later...

Yes this is my Skoda Superb Model Purchased 04/01/2016 Milage July 2017 

ONLY 8566 MILES AND ONLY 18 MONTHS OLD Purchase price £24,000 

DEALERSHIP SIMPSONS SKODA PRESTON LANCASHIRE ENGLAND.

Today THE BRAKES DISCS ON ALL FOUR WHEELS NEED TO BE REPLACED ALSO BRAKE PADS HAVE DETERIORATED AND NEED TO BE REPLACED.

NO WARRANTY CLAIM POSSIBLE ON BRAKES AFTER SIX THOUSAND MILES OR SIX MONTHS SKODA DEALERS ADVISE ME.

THE QUOTED COST OF REPLACEMENT IS £650. 

NO COURTESY CAR AVAILABLE 5 WEEKS.

The reason Skoda give me is " OUTSIDE INFLUENCES " when asked what's this means They Say the Weather.

Because I live by the coast ( Not on the Coast) the salt air will lie on the discs and ingress into the metal. That makes them disintegrate QUICKLY and corrosion OF THE DISC AND PADS takes place. 

THERE ARE OTHER REPORTED CASES OF THIS DETERIORATION ON A WEBSITE CALLED "BRISKODA " WITHE EVEN LESS MILEAGE THAN MY CAR.

So if you own a Skoda and live near the Seaside you cannot take it out if it's Windy-Raining -Snowing or if the Roads have been Gritted , so this would be the same all over the Uk and Europe in winter or summer.

Please do not buy a New Skoda if you live near the coast unless you are prepared to spend about £650 every 18 months.

The metal on these vehicles is Not Fit For Purpose.

I have purchased a NEW Car every 2 to 3 years for the Past 50 years all makes and NEVER HAD TO REPLACE A BRAKE DISC BEFORE .

MY FIRST AND LAST SKODA

• Like 1

This is not limited to Skoda cars! I am not defending any vehicle manufacturer but simply pointing out that bare cast iron corrodes. Therefore, surface corrosion or pitting of discs isn’t a 'fitness for purpose' or warranty repair issue, as it mainly depends on how the vehicle is used and stored. Frustrating for you I agree but be warned that changing to another marque is not a guarantee that you will not get a repeat.

Especially since I notice that you have a very low mileage vehicle which probably means it sits going nowhere for days at a time and maybe does mostly short journeys? Paradoxically that can lead to more rapid deterioration; remember the braking action helps to clean the surface rust but if that is not cleared regularly it can lead to more severe pitting across a shorter period.

All this is why the limitations on warranty are there. Whether that is fair or reasonable would have to be tested in law I guess. 

In the end if you believe that the nature and extent of corrosion is abnormal then I suggest you retain the old discs and have them analysed to check whether the metal is to specification. It would not be the first time that material below spec is put into service. 

Mine seem to have settled down a bit.... Like SL above says it appears to be a sign of the times .... When mine are ready i'll be treating them just like I do the tyres and fitting the best quality aftermarket disks and pads.... Be treating it like a mini upgrade ... In fact ... I'm looking forward to it ! Come on disks wear out !!!

;-)

Thank you for your slant on this. But I have used this car each day for sometime only short runs and occasionally 200 plus mile runs, but my wife's Toyota completes only 1000 miles a year and is used about once a week,discs perfect now 8 year old without any replacement disc.

my grip is that Skoda say it's because I live on the coast!

when many others have similar problems in various locations all over the UK.

I know .... But what can you do ? Vote with your wallet and don't buy Skoda again.... I agree 100% its not acceptable.... This is my 5th new Skoda since 2002 and none have had this problem but their is no equivalent car on the market unless I spent 20+k more so i'm prepared to treat them as a consumable.

It is just the rears though on mine that look grubby. Front are fine.

@Nick_H Rears will always look worse 'cos the fronts do most of the work and therefore get kept cleaner with routine braking.

@Rayodee  Maybe your wife drives more spiritedly than you :devil:

I just did a quick trawl of the interwebthingy and almost every marque has topics about claimed excessive or early corrosion. On one Porsche forum they were actually talking about covering the wheels with sheets during car washing, using hairdryers or leaf blowers to dry out discs before putting the car away :D :D

As long as the cost/benefit calcs for grey iron in production cars works for the manufacturers it is all we are going to get.  

• Like 1

@Rayodee  I can empathise, it is not really good enough, you could really try to press the issue with your selling dealer who I presume are also your servicing dealer spelling out how you feel it is totally unacceptable and not durable enough and doesn't compare to your experience of other cars. You could tell them you will initiate a small claim on basis of consumer rights claim under durability and see if / how they respond.

Having said that,  as others have indicated, you my find the problem now occurs in other marques too. Your Toyota is 8 years old but how do new models now hold up and their replacement parts?

What I would say also say, if skoda original discs / pads are that bad don't pay skoda prices to replace them. Put some aftermarkets on yourself or at an independent garage and save yourself £400 or more. It won't hurt so much if you pay £200-£250 rather than £650!

Don't be offended or focus too much on the service advisor explanation, they have just found something to cling onto (your coastal proximity), and used that as a reason. All other things being equal combined with your driving pattern it probably has some influence but  Inland dealers will be saying it is salt spray from roads or the acidic rain or something else......

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 07/07/2017 at 12:50, TheClient said:

@Rayodee  I can empathise, it is not really good enough, you could really try to press the issue with your selling dealer who I presume are also your servicing dealer spelling out how you feel it is totally unacceptable and not durable enough and doesn't compare to your experience of other cars. You could tell them you will initiate a small claim on basis of consumer rights claim under durability and see if / how they respond.

Having said that,  as others have indicated, you my find the problem now occurs in other marques too. Your Toyota is 8 years old but how do new models now hold up and their replacement parts?

What I would say also say, if skoda original discs / pads are that bad don't pay skoda prices to replace them. Put some aftermarkets on yourself or at an independent garage and save yourself £400 or more. It won't hurt so much if you pay £200-£250 rather than £650!

Don't be offended or focus too much on the service advisor explanation, they have just found something to cling onto (your coastal proximity), and used that as a reason. All other things being equal combined with your driving pattern it probably has some influence but  Inland dealers will be saying it is salt spray from roads or the acidic rain or something else......

This is a photo of one of my rear brake discs from my 66 plate Superb which has covered 37k miles and is driven regularly!! 

This is not normal and something I’ve never experienced before in any other car. The issue with my model (SE L Executive with electronic parking brake) is that there are no aftermarket discs available, only Skoda ones!! 

3C9AF41B-E069-4162-9538-ABC9CFE475A3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum.

Loads of After Market Discs available, even the cheapest crappiest that you can find will be better than the Skoda OEM ones.