Camera phones

b1ackb1rd

A topic that doesn't appear to have been discussed for a while?

I'm a big fan of the old 41MP Nokia 1020 having owned two in the past (stupidly sold one, and even more stupidly damaged the second). 

I was persuaded to buy a Nokia 930 recently, it is a newer model with 20MP camera and according to countless internet reviews it was a better buy .... OMFG, how wrong could I be, the Nokia 930 takes bloody awful photos. 

I've bought another 1020 today ... I was wondering what everyone else uses?

Had a 920 which took really remarkably good pictures for a phone. Couldn't tolerate the incompatibilities of Winpho any more and have an iPhone SE now. Pics are a little better than the 920 certainly no worse. Slow-mo video function is fun.

Samsung seem to have the reviews for the best phone camera. It's all down to your budget and needs. A smartphone is multifunction after all.

I was wondering what everyone else uses?

A proper camera???   :nerd:    - most phone camera's aren't worth the effort due to the crappy optics so they only get used for the odd 'snap' in our household.

• Like 1

The MP count is not what you want to be looking at really, as that just produces really big pictures, rather than good quality pictures. The best camera phone I ever had was my old Nokia N8 with the Carl Zeiss camera, that took fantastic photos. My Lumia works well enough, especially now it has HDR capability. Nothing beats a proper DSLR though for decent photos.

Been quite tempted by a Huawei P7 plus... it has a dual camera set-up.

One lens takes just black and white photos and so can let a lot more light in and the other does the colour bit and they are merged together.

Phil

A proper camera???   :nerd:    - most phone camera's aren't worth the effort due to the crappy optics so they only get used for the odd 'snap' in our household.

Nope, I travel light ... my days of carrying a bulky SLR and lenses in a bag are way behind me. 

Anyway, the photos off my Nokia 1020 are much better than my Canon and Nikon compact digitals that are both 20MP - blown up to 10x8 they are stunning. 

The MP count is not what you want to be looking at really, as that just produces really big pictures, rather than good quality pictures. The best camera phone I ever had was my old Nokia N8 with the Carl Zeiss camera, that took fantastic photos. My Lumia works well enough, especially now it has HDR capability. Nothing beats a proper DSLR though for decent photos.

Agreed, but the point is MOST of us only take a DSLR out for special occasions, whereas a mobile is constantly to hand. 

• Like 1

I find it's over aggressive noise reduction that ruins the photos s much as the tiny sensor size.

The high mp race isn't good for mobile IMO. There smaller light gathering sites means it'll never be great.

This was supposed to be a discussion about what cameraphones folks are using, I wasn't especially focusing on the 1020, nor starting a mobile vs DLSR war .... however in true forum fashion ... 

My Samsung Galaxy S6 takes a pretty decent picture TBH. Also has the option to save pics as RAW files, albeit from a 3rp part app.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S6-how-to-enable-raw-DNG-format-and-lower-ISO-after-the-Android-5.1.1-update_id70706

http://phandroid.com/2015/06/22/shoot-raw-samsung-galaxy-s6/

• Like 1

My Samsung Galaxy S6 takes a pretty decent picture TBH. Also has the option to save pics as RAW files, albeit from a 3rp part app.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S6-how-to-enable-raw-DNG-format-and-lower-ISO-after-the-Android-5.1.1-update_id70706

http://phandroid.com/2015/06/22/shoot-raw-samsung-galaxy-s6/

This is an excellent function, however as an amateur snapper I only use it on my 1020 when it's time to blow up a photo of the nipper for Granny's birthday!

Agreed, but the point is MOST of us only take a DSLR out for special occasions, whereas a mobile is constantly to hand. 

True...   But that's when I take this or similar...

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/p/p60/

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

True...   But that's when I take this or similar...

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/p/p60/

Yes, I have one of these excellent compacts too and I will use it for macro shots and night shots (although the 1020 does amazing fill-in flash shots at dusk). 

Problem is ... I'm a jeans and t-shirt type I rarely use a coat even in winter, I jam a mobile into my pocket because family insist and have no room for a mobile AND a compact camera hence the 1020 (£60 unlocked with 64Gb HDD off ebay :) )

• Administrators

Good Topic. Frequently and certainly the last two cameras I've moved away from SLR, although I've kept my first ever one for some reason.

I do a bit of climbing, weight is key; although more how many chips you ate matters more, I've been increasingly going to take just my phone, a Z1. However if one should drop it, bye bye phone and why do I take my phone, to call for assistance in case I drop of the cliff and hit something.

So I'm looking at compacts and dumb smart phones, that is a smartphone that isn't sim'd, aka a droid equiv to the apple iPodTouch but with more about it.

Ultimately I think a pocket compact will win out for my use case, but it's extremely noticeable out on the hills walking, viewpoints the camera phone is #1 now in popularity. I sorely miss my slr and being able to play with the settings to capture what I want... now to watch the video...

I'm still on my iPhone 6, always been impressed with it "for a camera phone" 

as mentioned, I wouldn't go for high pixel count on such a minuscule sensor, as the pixels would be so tiny that it wont do the camera capability any good at all. Harder to pick up light etc. Pixel count is only useful for enlarging photos, and to be honest, the lenses and overall quality on phones aren't such that I'd be wanting huge prints from my phone! 

• Like 1

Seconded for the Iphone 6. Don't think I have ever taken so many pictures since its investment nearly two years ago. Glad it's a 128gig as have nearly 20k on there at present. Do take a Canon G7 with me also as its a rugged compact and allows a little more manual creativity if required. :)

I'm still on my iPhone 6, always been impressed with it "for a camera phone" 

as mentioned, I wouldn't go for high pixel count on such a minuscule sensor, as the pixels would be so tiny that it wont do the camera capability any good at all. Harder to pick up light etc. Pixel count is only useful for enlarging photos, and to be honest, the lenses and overall quality on phones aren't such that I'd be wanting huge prints from my phone! 

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/10/smartphone-camera-shootout-iphone-6s-vs-android-vs-lumia.html

• 2 weeks later...

LG G5 for me - very happy, but would never replace my DSLR

Had mine about a month now and have been very impressed with the camera setup. The wide angle camera as well as the normal lense and ability to swap between the two on the fly is my favourite feature of the whole phone.

Been thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-qx10

Seems a good middle ground between taking a big camera out but still having some optical zoom and a bigger lenses than your phone. Can also then share the pictures straight away.