Fabia 1.4 16V Not starting UPDATE

Azzy12

As title, my sisters 2002 Fabia 1.4 16V Auto turns over, but doesnt start. The car had an oil, oil/air filter and spark plug service 1000miles ago. When the car turns over, its smells of fuel. Ive read it can be a number of things; camshaft position sensor, temp/map sensor, coilpack etc. Can anyone shed some light on what the issue may be? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Azzy12

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the rev counter moves up and down slightly when cranking. Havent had the car scanned, it doesnt start up, so cant take it to get it diagnosed. Is the ECT sensor the coolant temp sensor??

Edited by Azzy12

Ive had a look at the cambelt, and it does look worn. The car had 36000miles,and cambelt hasnt been changed. Do you think its worth changing the cambelt in the hope to rectify the issue?

Ive had a look at the cambelt, and it does look worn. The car had 36000miles,and cambelt hasnt been changed. Do you think its worth changing the cambelt in the hope to rectify the issue?

No, if the cambelt has slipped then the damage is already done and there will be little or no compression on any of the cylinders and you'd get a cam sensor fault.

Had car scanned, here are the followinh fault codes;

16502 ECT Fault

17978 ECM disabled

01314 ECM No communication

The mechanic stated the issue could be that the key needs recoding or a new ECU.

Would the ECT be causing this issue?

Need help guys, much appreciated

My 1.4 16V will sometimes not communicate, I find I have to start the engine to wake the ECU, then switch it off and straight back on again to connect. The Marelli ECU goes into a deep sleep state to save power.

I just disconnected the ECT sensor and the car still didnt start..

Is it still worth buying another ECT to see if it fixes the issue?

Edited by Azzy12