Fabia 1.4 16V Not starting UPDATE

Azzy12

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine code is BBY.

When cranking the engine, its turning at normal speed, just not starting at all.

The EML light comes on the dash after trying to start the car.

The car has manual locking.

Yes the fuel smell is strong when trying to start the car, and theres half a tank in there.

Ive sent off the ECU to a company in Stoke to have it tested.

The auto locksmith who checked the key stated if there was an immobiliser fault, the car would start then cut off.

So as the key itself is fine, need to check whether the ECU is also. Hopefully will receive a response by Thursday

Like I said, if the ECU was bricked you wouldn't get any fuel injection since the injectors are driven directly by the ECU.

Have you checked for a spark and have you taken the cambelt top cover off to see if both belts are rotating correctly, it's a rare occurrence but I once had an engine not start because it had torn all the teeth off the cambelt where it went round the crank sprocket so when the engine turned over the cambelt didn't move.

I'm not sure if the engine will run without a crank signal, on my old VR6 it wouldn't even thought the cam sensor was working just fine.

With it being an auto does it have to be in Park or Neutral to start and have the brake pedal down, in which case the brake switch may have failed.

I was just speaking to someone who had a Golf which had the same error code, ECM No communication, and they stated that they sprayed connection cleaner in the ECU plugs and left for 10mins or so, reconmected and it started.. would this be recommended to try?

While you have mentioned doing that, if you ever think that you need to do that again, do not wait 10 minutes, while the mating connector contacts are still wet, manipulate the connector in and out to help force off any contaminants, then give them a final spray to wash them and let them air dry before re-connecting. Or use a fibre glass brush to scrub the wetted contacts clean.

Update

ECU company have said ECU software is corrupted and beyond repair.

He gave me an ebay link of a complete ecu kit for the car. Would it require any coding?

Ebay link:

That strikes me as a bit odd. I'd've thought that corrupted software was the easiest thing to repair; just re-flash it with the correct software? Maybe only Skoda can do that?

Not sure on coding AN Other ECU, or transplanting a 'kit of bits' from one car to another.  I think cluster and engine ECU and ignition and door locks all need to stay together, don't think central electrics box (big black plastic squarish one in that listing) needs to be replaced?

So, have you arranged for the return of that corrupted ECU as that might be your best starting point if it is otherwise basically okay - though maybe not something the test house could confirm if it is corrupted?  Then wait and see what a Tech on this forum has to say about your update.

Wino, a bit of cross posting here so sorry, I've just had a message from a friend who's daughter has a 2003 Polo and it lost one of the side trays on the motorway yesterday, he checked the other side and only three retainers still gripping, so took that off as well - I replied to him that I checked these every year for "retainer loss" and stored road grit to avoid that unfortunate issue!  Have you checked your ones recently as car is in the same age bracket?

Edit:- maybe more of an issue up North due to lots of salt being used during winter months.

Edited by rum4mo

Wino, a bit of cross posting here so sorry, I've just had a message from a friend who's daughter has a 2003 Polo and it lost one of the side trays on the motorway yesterday, he checked the other side and only three retainers still gripping, so took that off as well - I replied to him that I checked these every year for "retainer loss" and stored road grit to avoid that unfortunate issue!  Have you checked your ones recently as car is in the same age bracket?

Edit:- maybe more of an issue up North due to lots of salt being used during winter months.

The long underbody protector things either side of the exhaust? I had those off recently for some reason, so all new retainers. Cheers for the heads-up though. :)

That is the ones, I've still got some new retainers in the garage, managed to re-work a few last time, latest ones have plastic retainers, so maybe a bit better!

Yes, the ecu should be returned in the next few days. The company has stated, once all the parts are changed over to the kit above, there wont be any issues regarding immobiliser etc.