always-on low-beam, no more fog lights (front & rear)

Heh, that still doesn't mean that the signal is implausible (as in cannot be explained according to known physics laws) ;)

The Bosch device gave the same error message, translated to Italian. So I'm presuming it's either the message returned by the controller, or else what VAG say it should read (I'd be curious to know the German original, though).

"Implausible" is a synonym of "unlikely" rather than "impossible", and in any event I was reporting how the coders have written the messaging relating to a condition rather than discussing theoretical physics (or indeed actual climatology).

Thanks for that, certainly can't see that on mine. Does the green front front fog light symbol also light up on the switch like this?

Nope... It illuminates when the sidelights are on but nothing changed when the fogs are turned on.

Part number of my factory fitted switch is 1Z0 941 431 J. I think you have a pre-fl switch, possibly 1Z0 941 431 E?

Nope... It illuminates when the sidelights are on but nothing changed when the fogs are turned on.

Part number of my factory fitted switch is 1Z0 941 431 J. I think you have a pre-fl switch, possibly 1Z0 941 431 E?

??? Under UK law, you must have an illuminated warning lamp (in switch or on fascia) for fog lights (and indeed for rear fogs, and for auxiliary headlights if they are not illuminated automatically with full beam).

??? Under UK law, you must have an illuminated warning lamp (in switch or on fascia) for fog lights (and indeed for rear fogs, and for auxiliary headlights if they are not illuminated automatically with full beam).

Yes, as per my earlier posts there is a tell tail in the cluster, not on the switch for my FL :)

Back from a VAG dealership and workshop. My neighbour used to work there and told me to ask for the workshop head on her behalf, so he spent some time twiddling and checking the switch (official workshops are off-limits to customers here). Verdict: it's indeed the switchgear. Should be replaced somewhere next week. 

NB: this dealership sits on or right next to the VW France HQ, the central hub through which all cars and official parts transit.

As to why this switch failed: is it possible that that part did get wet or humid enough to cause some kind of shortcut, because of the water infiltrations I've had?