Emission remap

I have had my Superb in for recall, my advice is dont do it my car is now flat as a fart, fuel economy 7mpg down, sluggish at motorway speeds, noticeable turbo lag, in short ruined a good car, anyone else have any experience of this. I am now awaiting a full diagnostic at mySskoda dealer ( which they wanted me to pay for, i refused of course) If the diagnostics prove nothing wrong then I have to take it up with Skoda UK. Help I want as much feedback as poss to confront Skoda with, many thanks Simon.

So, has there been any outcome from your bad experience with the emissions recall?

• 3 weeks later...

Good Afternoon,

Since the time of my last update, the House of Commons Transport Committee has published the third report of Session 1016 – 17 entitled, “Volkswagen emissions scandal and vehicle type approval.” This report will make for uncomfortable reading not just for VW, but also for The Department for Transport and The Vehicle Certification Agency.

The Transport Committee concluded that:

VW has deceived both regulators and their own customers on a global scale and shown cynical disregard for emissions limits imposed to protect against dangerous pollutants.

The Department for Transport was too slow to take advice and to decide on whether the actions of VW merit prosecution

The UK regulator, the Vehicle Certification Agency, failed to undertake testing to demonstrate that the defeat devices installed by VW were unlawfully used to circumvent European emission tests. The VCA instead simply confirmed the existence of a defeat device and did not prove that without them vehicles would have failed emissions tests. The Transport Committee heavily criticised the VCA for, in effect, only doing half its job.

VW’s treatment of customers in Europe, compared to its treatment of customers in the US is deeply unfair, on the basis of providing goodwill payments in the US only.

VW has communicated poorly with customers and has not been open about the nature of the defeat device.

What is described is corporate deception and regulatory failure, both of which regretfully come to bear on the end car owner.

What next?

We are not yet in a position to ask you to formally instruct us to take legal action against VW because we are not able to establish with sufficient certainty what financial loss you may have suffered. This is because VW has still not informed the general public what the nature of the software fix is.

We are pressing VW and their UK lawyers to provide this detail, but have not been provided with the information. VW seem only able to provide assurances that the fix will be easy, swift, inexpensive and provide a complete and permanent solution. Provisional expert opinions have been sought and the general consensus is that VW’s assurances are implausible. It is suspected that updates to the software will alter the Engine Gas Recirculation (EGR) rate and include fuel injection manipulation such as injection timing delay, multiple injections and/or injection pressure changes. It is suspected that any injection manipulation and increase in EGR will increase emissions, increase fuel consumption and degrade engine performance. However, I must stress that this amounts only to speculation until such time that we know the details of the proposed fix.

To that end I have written this week to the Department for Transport, the Vehicle Certificate Agency and Freshfields (VW’s UK lawyers). Essentially each recipient is being asked to address the failings identified by the Transport Committee and to reach a decision swiftly as to the legality of VWs position and in the meantime furnish us with comprehensive details about what the fix entails and whether there are likely to be any adverse consequences. I will of course keep you abreast of any response.

I have received many personal emails and voicemail messages with information and detail about individual cases. I would very much like to respond to each and every one individually but cannot due to the sheer volume of numbers. However, please note that feedback from people who have had the fix and any correspondence provided with third parties is being noted and we thank you for keeping us informed. I hope that the periodic updates that I sent summarise the position and give an indication of what the next steps are.

Kind regards,

Jacqueline Young

Head of Group Litigation

Slater and Gordon

• Like 1

Sounds too much like she's trying to whip up business for my liking. VW's goodwill gesture in the US is largely a result of the different legal environment there (mainly an attempt to stave off class-action lawsuits and the damages that would arise from such).

As for proving that the defeat device affects real world emissions, there are several tests done by competent authorities around the world demonstrating this. The VCA doesn't need to reinvent the wheel there.

" It is suspected that updates to the software will alter the Engine Gas Recirculation (EGR) rate and include fuel injection manipulation such as injection timing delay, multiple injections and/or injection pressure changes. It is suspected that any injection manipulation and increase in EGR will increase emissions, increase fuel consumption and degrade engine performance. "

Well, whoever wrote those sentences has a very good handle on how the IC engine works, and how so-called "anti-pollution" systems work.

• Like 1

There's a new Renault Zoe coming out in October. Range over 200 miles. Google Renault Zoe R90. A friend has a 2015 Zoe (real range about 90 miles). I'm a named driver on it and I must confess that I'm very impressed. Performance is much better than you think! Charge at home (friend has solar PV panels) .... costs less than 2p/mile.

Edited by drefaldwyn

It is shown in the Engine section of an autoscan, this is from my car showing SW 7100.

Address 01: Engine (J623-CFHC) Labels: 03L-906-018-CFF.clb

Part No SW: 03L 906 018 C HW: 03L 906 018 BR

Component: R4 2,0L EDC H24 7100 <----

Revision: 42H24--- Serial number:

Coding: 00190012042500080000

So is your with remap or without? I'll check my engine info as I recent has a vcds scan. I certainly wouldn't want an emissions remap. Edited by newskodadriver

So is your with remap or without? I'll check my engine info as I recent has a vcds scan. I certainly wouldn't want an emissions remap.

No emission fix on my car :)

7100 was the original SW but I've updated it to 9813 during the course of a retrofit. It's possible that SW 9977 and above has the fix but I can't be sure.

If it has been done, there should be a sticker in the spare wheel area with 23R6 on it.

I had mine in for a service about 5 weeks ago, since then drove to Geneva and back. Fuel consumption was up by about 8% from the same journey last year. I wonder if they applied the update when it was in for a service? Going in for its MOT on Wednesday so I shall ask

• Like 1

I had mine in for a service about 5 weeks ago, since then drove to Geneva and back. Fuel consumption was up by about 8% from the same journey last year. I wonder if they applied the update when it was in for a service? Going in for its MOT on Wednesday so I shall ask

yes please, let us know!

• Like 1

If they have, ask them why they did it without being asked to, and without notifying you.

If they have, ask them why they did it without being asked to, and without notifying you.

Maybe it's still under warranty and they think they don't need permission ??

Maybe it's still under warranty and they think they don't need permission ??

The only way I can see them not needing permission is if the car is legally owned by SUK. If it's owned by anyone else then it's not the property of the dealership or any organisation they represent.

• Like 1

They'll perform 23R6 under their statement that a service will include "Vehicle & software enhancements from Skodas database".  In the UK (and here in Ireland) this is not a "recall" - it is a service campaign.

You give permission for items like 23R6 when you sign the service agreement form they give you when you drop your car in.

If you don't want it done, you need to give them a specific instruction not to do the emissions service campaign.  

(Note that I am not saying it is right or fair - just that this is what happens).

Edited by TheRobinK

They'll perform 23R6 under their statement that a service will include "Vehicle & software enhancements from Skodas database".  In the UK (and here in Ireland) this is not a "recall" - it is a service campaign.

You give permission for items like 23R6 when you sign the service agreement form they give you when you drop your car in.

If you don't want it done, you need to give them a specific instruction not to do the emissions service campaign.  

(Note that I am not saying it is right or fair - just that this is what happens).

"To enhance (1) Make better or improve". - Increasing my fuel consumption is not an improvement, therefore this is not covered. QED.

• Like 1

KenONeill, on 03 Oct 2016 - 15:22, said:

"To enhance (1) Make better or improve". - Increasing my fuel consumption is not an improvement, therefore this is not covered. QED.

But they have promised it will improve your Nox emissions and they have promised it didn't / won't compromise your consumption or performance.

So, after all the lies and cheating and millions spent on PR -  you don't automatically trust them on the new promises? You're a hard man!   ;)

• Like 1

But they have promised it will improve your Nox emissions and they have promised it didn't / won't compromise your consumption or performance.

So, after all the lies and cheating and millions spent on PR -  you don't automatically trust them on the new promises? You're a hard man!   ;)

If a service receptionist tells me that it's raining, I go outside and see if I get wet! ;)

The improvement is to NOx emissions in this case. Like it or not, VAG's primary obligation is to the legislators that set the emissions standards (the ones they cheated on). We have to hope that they can meet the obligation without affecting other parameters.

The difficulty VW have run into in the US is that for a lot of the TDIs there (all the ones not running SCR/AdBlue), they are unable to meet the emissions standards without compromising the vehicle's performance. The EU emissions standards are not as strict so there's more room for compliance here.

Also, VAG will almost certainly consider their obligations on fuel economy and CO2 emissions met (by keeping them the same) if the numbers on the official test cycle come out the same. You'll have a very hard time convincing them based on on-the-road calculations you do yourself.

Edited by chimaera