Rear wiper motor failure

Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later but after almost 13 months of trouble free motoring my rear wiper motor decded to pack in today with the blade parked on the wrong side of the screen ....

I can get a new one from ECP for around £52 but I'll need to find a garage to fit it as I'm afraid my arthritis now rules out DIY repairs ......

Thanks for the info Mike and link to genuine part .... I've managed for the moment to get the blade back across the screen to the park position so at least it's not looking broken ..., the car is due a service shortly so I might have to wait to after this to actually get it sorted ... I found your post on being able to replace one in around 30 minutes... How much time do you reckon a garage would take to fit it, I'm guessing on charging an hour minimum adding around £45 to the price

Jumped into the car last night started the engine selected reverse to back out the drive and the rear wiper swept the rear window and has worked ever since .... Cars who needs the hassles and grief.

I guess it's probably just a temporary fluke so I'll still keep an eye out for a genuine motor and see about getting it replaced when I've the spare cash.

Just to add my experience, mine has twice refused to start wiping when requested. When I stopped the car, I just nudged the wiper and it then worked normally again. My conclusion is that is either the wiper is sticking to the glass or stiffness in the shaft bearing.

I now regularly lift up the shaft cover and apply a light lubricant with ptfe in it to the end of the bearing. So far no further problem.

I did wonder if there is a motor protection system that shuts off the motor if the load is too high, just like there is on the window lifts and the sunroof. It would make sense as you would not want to burn out the motor if the wiper is glued to the window by ice.

I might try that pikpilot although mines has died a death again ... I I lift it off the screen and move it a little then switch on it will move ever closer to the park position so it's at least parks again in the correct position

I forgot to say that my wiper motor developed a squeaky bearing type noise but since I started lubricating the end of the shaft regularly, the noise has reduced. I hope that lubricant will eventually seep all the way down the shaft.

• 4 years later...