Withdrawal of VRS 230 and 4x4TDi?

Any solid info on why this has happened? 

I am of course hoping its because they are introducing a  4x4 TSi with  > 250bhp

The 4x4 is still on the CZ configurator, so I think that's maybe a Skoda UK decision just to not bother. The 230 has gone from there too. 

The game has moved on from 220bhp so I can't believe we won't see a more powerful VRS again

If the facelift is early 2017 I'd expect to be seeing some pictures somewhere, the only images I've seen on the web have been around for ages. 

It's still available in the Swedish configurator too, so probably a regional decission.

We never got the 230 though, as it was deemed to expensive to be competetive in the market by Skoda Sweden.

Withdrawal of the 4x4 vRS is probably going to see me move away from Skoda, after 16 years and 5 Octavias, I really wanted a sports orientated 4x4. I'll probably go to BMW, dreading the conversation with my dealer, sort of become friends with them over the years.

The  4X4 Tdi Vrs was only available with the DSG box, that might have killed it

The same issue with the Fabia, did that turn to a TDI DSG only version??

Prob no Skoda option for me next time either. Is this a ploy of the VW group to favour the other of its stable mates???

Azur Skoda informed me that the 230 was not the sales success they were expecting. Hence getting pulled

That wouldn't surprise me as all you got for your extra 10 bhp was a paltry & insignificant increase in speed of 1 mph and a £1000 deeper hole in your pocket.

For an extra 10 bhp, I'd expect a good increase in speed/performance and something that's specced up to the max! 

• Like 1

That wouldn't surprise me as all you got for your extra 10 bhp was a paltry & insignificant increase in speed of 1 mph and a £1000 deeper hole in your pocket.

For an extra 10 bhp, I'd expect a good increase in speed/performance and something that's specced up to the max!

The Spec of the 230 was pretty decent, compared to a standard 220. Except for the 19" wheels, I'd spec pretty much everything else, making the extra power and the diff free :)

• Like 1

Withdrawal of the 4x4 vRS is probably going to see me move away from Skoda, after 16 years and 5 Octavias, I really wanted a sports orientated 4x4. I'll probably go to BMW, dreading the conversation with my dealer, sort of become friends with them over the years.

4x4 ain't all that - if you REALLY like the brand, that shouldn't stop you. BTW, I drove a 428i and 335i, both with x-Drive and M package and although they were nice and all, I don't think they are worth the price.

One good thing is that the BMW x-Drive is better than any old Haldex system ;)

----

Just adding that, both are MUCH smaller than the Skoda...

Edited by Jaco2k

Why is that? They work on the same principle, just the BMW is biased more to the rear

I would have to look up the exact technicality, but the haldex is an electronically regulated transfer box while the x-drive is passive or some crap like that. The point being, and there are videos of this online, that x-drive can loose traction from 3 wheels and pull itself with one only, while haldex is not able to do the same.

---

Edit: some other discussion here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1377998

-----

Edit 2: and a comparision video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbMWqLc3rS0

Edited by Jaco2k

If you're spending BMW money why not look at the Superb 280 4x4? 

I have tweeted Skoda UK about the VRS 4x4 no longer on the configurator they have replied that 'this is due to the VRS 4x4 being so popular that production is currently full for the year.'

I would have to look up the exact technicality, but the haldex is an electronically regulated transfer box while the x-drive is passive or some crap like that. The point being, and there are videos of this online, that x-drive can loose traction from 3 wheels and pull itself with one only, while haldex is not able to do the same.

---

Edit: some other discussion here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1377998

-----

Edit 2: and a comparision video:

In the piston heads discussion half are talking about Haldex 3 and many are just wrong. It is Haldex 5 on the Octy 3

The video you link to does not even show a Haldex, the Merc has the 4matic and the Q5 uses the Torsen not Haldex system

Both Haldex and Xdrive use "multi-plate clutches" to send drive to the other axle. The BMW sends it forward, the Haldex sends it back

From what I read xdrive is fixed 60:40 where the Haldex 4 and 5 can vary more. Haldex 4&5 also pre-lock in certain situations not waiting for wheel slip like haldex 3

It can be argued all ways and I'm not into the merits of one over the other as it depends on the situation but both Haldex and Xdrive are clutch based systems and more similar than any of the other systems out there.

I have tweeted Skoda UK about the VRS 4x4 no longer on the configurator they have replied that 'this is due to the VRS 4x4 being so popular that production is currently full for the year.'

Yeah right.

I heard the 230 is being replaced by a 245 next year from a good source. I'd assume that's post facelift and they hadn't heard anything about the facelift yet just the 245.

I heard the 230 is being replaced by a 245 next year from a good source. I'd assume that's post facelift and they hadn't heard anything about the facelift yet just the 245.

Quite a few members have reported that the 230  is coming out of the factory with more BHP than stated

Perhaps my 230, when it arrives, will be the same as a 245 or even better, more horses. 

Quite a few members have reported that the 230 is coming out of the factory with more BHP than stated

Perhaps my 230, when it arrives, will be the same as a 245 or even better, more horses.

If they wanted to keep doing that then naturally the supposed 245 would be more in reality too then...

• Administrators

One rumour and it is only a rumour is there will be a 2#0 in the new one :S I guess it won't be new, so it won't be seen as cannibalising the leon fr market and it might take some stress of the superb line.

Personally, I see it as a logical chance of being true.