Superb II 1.8 TSi (150) - Anyone have this engine? Opinions?

Hey all,

So - I am a potential skoda owner... I currently drive an aging VW Bora 1.9 130 (53 plate) with 124k on the clock... It needs replacing - I have come across a mint Superb II SE Plus with 33k on the clock - but it is a 1.8 TSi (150 bhp). I have driven it, breifly, and found the power slightly lacking, being used to my 130 diesel... but I think i was just driving it wrong... petrols need to rev... and I was driving it like a diesel... not to mention the dealer being in the back.

Does anyone have any opinions on this engine? Was I just driving it wrong? What MPG are people getting?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

G.

Long term average on previous 160 1.8 TSI over 50k was 33.3MPG actual (brim to brim method). I have 20 roundabouts on my way to work and previous Octavia TDI140 was only doing 43mpg.

Best on a run was 39MPG.

But it likes to rev, all the way to the red line. Use the horsepower rather than the torque. That is when it is at its best.

Yeah; very sweet engine.  I've had mine re-mapped which gives a much improved throttle response and lots of zest beyond 3500rpm.  There's no real improvement in low-down torque, though, so I still get overtaken by Focus TDIs unless I want to really boot it.

This is my second 1.8TSi and I've averaged about 33mpg in both - it's not especially fuel efficient, with or without a remap.  It is VERY sensitive to temperature - even a little vestigial warmth in the engine improves your MPG dramatically.

Best thing is its refinement - sometimes, when doing 60mph+ on a smooth road, I can hear my watch ticking...

Hi Both,

Thanks for your input. I was worried that coming from a 130 TDI I am going to regret not having the low down boot that I am used to - however, I think it is just a bit of adjustment in driving style - change down... then floor it if I need to!

Went for an extended test drive this morning without the dealer in the car, drove it like a petrol, holding the gears, very impressed with the power all across the rev band. I have decided to buy the car - picking up next Wednesday!

@noddy90; you mentioned a remapping... how does one go about doing that, and does it mean you have to say yes to the "is this car modified?" question on any insurance quotes?

Many thanks, looking forward to being a Skoda owner!

G.

What age is it and do you know the engine code? If it is a CDAA and previous 61 then walk away.

Between the 10 and 61 plate they had the wrong piston and rings fitted. Meaning oil can escape past the rings. Very expensive to put right.

Post 61 they sorted at build.

If BZB then you should be ok.

What age is it and do you know the engine code? If it is a CDAA and previous 61 then walk away.

Between the 10 and 61 plate they had the wrong piston and rings fitted. Meaning oil can escape past the rings. Very expensive to put right.

Not good for me as I have an 11 plate Although no idea of engine code, and not noticeably using oil though and @nearly 50k

I've just given back a 10 plate today that was using 3.81l / 1000miles.... new rings and pistons is the only fix. 

The dealer wouldn't fix mine (just over 70k miles) and so it went back to them. Bunch of ***** at the dealer really but that's another story!

@noddy90; you mentioned a remapping... how does one go about doing that, and does it mean you have to say yes to the "is this car modified?" question on any insurance quotes?

Lots of people pay £400+ to have remaps done at places like Shark Engineering; I'm sure they're very good, but I can't afford that sort of money.  Actually, I can, but my wife would kill me.  I go to a place called Midland Remaps in Wolverhampton who do a performance remap for £199.

Always, always, always tell your insurer!  Despite what you may hear, most WILL raise your premium; Tesco even refused to insure me.  Luckily, LV are happy to insure me at no extra cost.

Edited by Noddy90

Hi Noddy :)

Thanks for the info - I think I will get it and then drive it for a few months and see if I think I need some more power.

Thanks for all the help :)

G.

Well worth a read....

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/

It's not that all 1.8 engines are bad but it is very important you check the oil consumption very soon after picking it up.

Make the dealer aware that you know of issues with some cars so they are prepared if you need to take it back.

Read into the warranty provided with the car carefully to ensure excessive oil consumption is covered.

Hey all,

So - I am a potential skoda owner... I currently drive an aging VW Bora 1.9 130 (53 plate) with 124k on the clock... It needs replacing - I have come across a mint Superb II SE Plus with 33k on the clock - but it is a 1.8 TSi (150 bhp). I have driven it, breifly, and found the power slightly lacking, being used to my 130 diesel... but I think i was just driving it wrong... petrols need to rev... and I was driving it like a diesel... not to mention the dealer being in the back.

Does anyone have any opinions on this engine? Was I just driving it wrong? What MPG are people getting?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

G.

I've gone from a Superb I 1.9 pd (only pd100 but still very torquey) to a Superb II 1.4 tsi. Obviously the low down torque not quite as good but it's surprisingly not far off in real life- pulls well from 1500rpm. What I do like about the petrol though is it pulls well from 1500 rpm to over 6000 rpm - doesn't run out of puff at 4000 rpm like my old diesel.

I've not driven the 1.8 (I daren't in case I like it toooo much) but economy on the 1.4 has been reasonable overall (see Spritmonitor signature below) but compared to the diesel there seems to be a bigger difference in economy between driven gently and only two up compared to being driven at speed abroad(130kph) four up (big adults) with lots of luggage. Economy dropped as low as 37mpg (normally does late 40's on a run) - whereas my 1.9 pd always seemed to somehow do about 50mpg

Obviously there is no DPF on the 1.8 as well!

Edited by bigjohn

Well worth a read....

Thanks @silver 1011. I will mention it to the dealer - weirdly there has been no mention of a warranty whatsoever... I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that a warranty was a default and standard item on a used car... Will check!

@bigjohn I'm glad you are getting reasonable MPG figures... the diesels seem to be able to do 55mpg constantly as you say... On long 200 mile runs I was usually able to get up to 60 - 62 mpg... I am consoling myself with the "fact" that petrol cars are "better" for the environment! Besides - I can't afford a tesla.. yet...

Thanks all, 

G.

Edited by gr0m1t
  • Like 1

A diesel would have cost me about £3-5k more... so I figure I have that to spend on fuel.. ;)

Maybe first you should check how much you'll spend on fuel in a year ;)

In my case it's about £150-250/month - 2.0 TDI CR DSG 170ps+ 4x4 - so I'm pretty sure it would be much more with similar petrol version - especially with my heavy foot ;)

Well - I am not a particularly heavy driver... usually fill my current car once a month... so I am expecting to double that with a petrol. I would get a diesel if I could I think - but there are very few about, especially in the spec I want... (maybe they are all owned by briskodians!). I did um and er about the petrol - but I am happy with that choice now!

Let's hope I am still happy in 6 months!

G.

Yeah... I noticed...

A diesel would have cost me about £3-5k more... so I figure I have that to spend on fuel.. ;)

Yup - I had the same dilemma when buying mine. As a large petrol car was clearly not popular after negotiation the petrol was £5k cheaper (it was a lot cheaper to start with but was able to negotiate a much bigger discount)

My back of a fag packet spreadsheet at the time:-

Miles/year 12000

Diesel(2.0) 52 mpg = 1050 litres @£1.20/litre  = £1260

I tried the 1.6 diesel but simply didn't like it

Petrol(1.4) 42 mpg = 1300 litres @£1.20/litre  = £1560 

These were based on test drives covering part of my daily commute (which somewhat irritated the dealer) 

That was a saving on fuel of circa £300/year - the diesel would be cheaper after 16 years!!

It also kept £5k in my account. Obviously car worth less at the end, but I keep for many years and throw away - my MKI Superb 1.9pd was effectively worthless when I sold it to buy the MKII Superb

I was also worried about long term ownership of a car with a DPF ( I have a long but slow commute). A colleague at work had major expensive issues with DPF and EGR 

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

How do you find out what engine code you have?

How do you find out what engine code you have?

It can be found on a few locations on the car (note that the pics below are from a 2014 - might be different for other years)

In the first pic below, you can find the engine code on the white sticker to the lower left of the spare wheel (you can also see the option codes for your car, colour codes etc.). I believe this is a standard location for Superb II's

In the second pic below, the engine code is on the black sticker, bottom of the b pillar,  just behind the drivers door. The engine code should be on that (you can see a vertical "CAYC" on the right hand side of the it which is the 1.6 CR Diesel in my cars case).

gallery_142547_2007_26524.jpg

gallery_142547_2007_57686.jpg

It can be found on a few locations on the car (note that the pics below are from a 2014 - might be different for other years)

In the first pic below, you can find the engine code on the white sticker to the lower left of the spare wheel (you can also see the option codes for your car, colour codes etc.). I believe this is a standard location for Superb II's

In the second pic below, the engine code is on the black sticker, bottom of the b pillar,  just behind the drivers door. The engine code should be on that (you can see a vertical "CAYC" on the right hand side of the it which is the 1.6 CR Diesel in my cars case).

gallery_142547_2007_26524.jpg

gallery_142547_2007_57686.jpg

I bought an 11 plate 1.8TSI 160hp with 15K on it in April. I've since proceeded to put nearly 7K on it (back and forth London twice a month) and I've put 1L of oil in it

Economy is about 35-38 (brim to brim)

Very happy with it - my only concern is the chain tensioner. The car is under warranty now but I'm going to change the tensioner - I forecast 50-60K going on it in the next two years - so I'm happy to change it for peace of mind

Edited by g_tee