Goodbye swirly b-pillars

SimonD316

As anyone who has gloss black plastic B Pillars knows, you have to be very carefull or they will mark.

On my Octavia VRS they were terrible, so I had settled on a plan to correct, then apply some Gyeon Rim I have left over from coating my wheels.

I was given the heads up a local company (http://www.signature-group.co.uk/) had a 50% off sale on their range of detailing products, so I had a look what they have on offer (I've still not decided if I'm going to try a few things),

When browsing their website I noticed they do Xpel Paint Protection Film...

So I called in earlier in the week, and talked it through. They worked out a price, and did a test install on the car in order to create a template. The template was marked out on the film whilst on the car using a chalk pencil, then the film removed and digitised ready for the final film to be cut.

At this stage I was shocked at how much the film covered the swirls, but I still gave the pillars a single stage polish to remove as much as possible before the final installation.

The next day I went back, the film had been cut to the right shape using a plotter and was installed. Because the film was cut to shape off the car the cuts and corners are sharp and precise, and importantly no knife was used near the car.

I don't have any before images unfortunately, but have some of the install and end result.

install_zpsgiokcgqe.jpg

overall_zpsjiazn2ep.jpg

close_zpsawb9mapa.jpg

I'm really happy with the outcome, and have said goodbye to swirly b-pillars for the next few years!

Edited by SimonD316
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Did you have any luck with any polishing products prior to using the film?

They're not that difficult to get rid of with a machine, by hand takes a bit more effort. But they come back so easily, literally after a few washes.

• Like 1