Reverse Pilot And A Wooden Fence

gumdrop

So I reversed across a grass area then slow and go into a turn.

Bump no warning from reverse sensors until I actually bump this

low wooden fence, it is just a tap that leaves creosote "alike" marks

the marks just wipe off, no dents or scratches.

I did not see the fence but am very surprised that the sensors did

not pick it up until the actual impact, the car was in reverse gear

and the sensors not turned off. More careful next time eh!

Edited by gumdrop

Fingers crossed;

I have had a brake problem (It was air after the caliper unit was changed)

A sensitive air pressure sensor (which does not show which tyre is involved)

And a late warning by parking pilot

Not bad for a 6 month old Skoda!

Only your Yeti does not have a Air Pressure Sensor fitted.  Just the TPMS acting from the ESP.

Best try out your reversing sensors to see why a blind spot.

• Like 2

You said in your other post that you were towing a caravan. I haven't got a towbar fitted myself but have read elsewhere about the knock-on effects of the electrics changes when fitting tow bars. Is it possible that the failure has been caused during the tow bar I wonder?

Personally I find the reversing sensors to be very reliable.

Edited by longedge

My 'friend' had a problem with his reversing sensors not picking up a concrete bollard.

My 'friend' spent the afternoon removing the bumper and putting everything right

My 'friend's' wife reminds him about 

I've since tried to avoid my 'friend' as he just causes bad things to happen to me!!

• Like 2

You said in your other post that you were towing a caravan. I haven't got a towbar fitted myself but have read elsewhere about the knock-on effects of the electrics changes when fitting tow bars. Is it possible that the failure has been caused during the tow bar I wonder?

Personally I find the reversing sensors to be very reliable.

The reversing sensors have always been reliable until then, perhaps it was a "stealth" fence?

Just a thought, I must have approached "corner on" to the fence perhaps this reduced the

sensor detect area somehow.

I find the sensors almost too sensitive, tall grass etc will be picked up as I back down my access drive.  

Corners of the car seem very well protected.

Only time it failed was when it didnt detect a high tailgate mounted storage box on a campervan behind the Yeti ; bottom of the box caught the Yeti tailgate just below the rear window. I wasnt driving and it was night time.

As an aid it is extremely useful but I guess we all need to take note that like all systems it's not infallible. I've rarely had problems myself but have once or twice been concerned enough to get out of the car and look behind. My next Yeti, delivery soon, has the optional reversing camera and I hope that that will be a useful addition.

Anyone got any comments on the cameras operation on the Yeti?

Just a thought, I must have approached "corner on" to the fence perhaps this reduced the

sensor detect area somehow.

When I reversed in to a bloody great cast iron lamp post (ouch!) I was on full lock, and the thing hit right on the rear lamp cluster.  So as well as corner on, I was approaching the obstacle on a tight curve.  As far as I remember, the reversing sensor uttered not a peep until the moment of impact - perhaps a fraction of a second before.  I suspect that there can be certain combinations of angle of approach and direction which can defeat the sensors occasionally.

(I did look before starting the reverse - just not carefully enough.  The lamp post was well 'weathered', as they say in modelling circles, which camouflaged it surprisingly well against the building behind it.  I think it was also in a bit of a blind spot at the time.  As I say: I looked, but not carefully enough.  No excuses: it was my fault.  You'd be surprised, though, at the number of calls I've since had from people offering to help recover any uninsured costs from the 'other driver'.  They do at least - usually - have the grace to sound suitably embarrassed when I explain how the accident came about.)

Have you got a faulty sensor (just one, not all of them).

Get someone to walk around and hold something like head of a broom near each one in turn, making sure you are clear of the others, and check the display as you do it. Should be able to see if one of them isn't reading which is causing a blind spot

Edited by SurreyJohn

In answer to ernieb 's question re cameras, I gave no experience of rear vue cameras on a Yeti but my lad has an Octavia with one, it seems to be great, absolutely wonderful compared to bending ones neck and still missing something in the blind spot.

In answer to ernieb 's question re cameras, I gave no experience of rear vue cameras on a Yeti but my lad has an Octavia with one, it seems to be great, absolutely wonderful compared to bending ones neck and still missing something in the blind spot.

Thanks I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.