Hey there fellow Super(b)verts!

I had the unfortunate accident of going to fast onto a speed bump yesterday and now the oil pan, or "sump" as it's apparently called, has this brand new opening on it. 

On my first car, a '98 VW Golf, this was a major problem as there was no protective plating under the sump. To much relief, I didn't have to spend as much on car repairs for my Octavia, my second car, since it had this protective plating. 

I just assumed that the Superb would be the same when viewing it at the dealership and simply forgot to ask. 

Now I must ask, is it possible to get one of those protective plates under the sump on the Superb Elegance 2.8 V6 2004? Is a protective plate meant to be under the car? Or do I need to retrofit it with such plating? 

And of course; Since the oil pan is called a "sump", what is this protective plating called? Cause I cant find anything if I try to search for it online. 

I also see that eBay has some nice sumps for around $45, while the official Skoda/VW/Audi dealership here has me paying $300 for just the brand new sump and no work... and that for a 1998 VW Golf. The work hour here costing $130. That makes the total of 430 bucks, just for supplying me with and installing a new sump. 

That right there's what's breaking my balls. 

Is the sump I linked to worth the trouble of ordering internationally? Will it hold? Because if I can get it to my door for third of the price a dealership sump costs, I'm sold!

What can I say? Money is tight, especially after buying a "new" car and I'd like to handle this myself. I'm 22, turning 23, years old and getting one's parents to bail one out of trouble every time that trouble starts brewing is just getting old. I'd like to be able to pay for everything in this car myself.

Because it's my car and I'm the only one who's gonna be driving it. 

Thanks in advance for your great answers and please let me know if I need to clarify anything for you guys as cars is not my thing hahaha ;)

None of those cars have anything which you would call a protective plate usually, so you've just been lucky previously and unlucky this time.  They usually have just very thin plastic panels which are primarily to improve the aerodynamics and reduce road noise.  There is something in the US called a "Panzer Plate" which is made out of aluminium and replaces the plastic panel - this does offer an element of sump protection.  

Is this an automatic or manual Superb?  The automatic Superb has two sumps - one which is covered by the plastic plate (engine), and another which isn't (gearbox).  The two are sometimes confused by people who have a sense of humor failure after draining their automatic gearbox fluid instead of engine oil and then realising it is a) quite expensive and B) a pain to refill.

• Like 1

None of those cars have anything which you would call a protective plate usually, so you've just been lucky previously and unlucky this time. They usually have just very thin plastic panels which are primarily to improve the aerodynamics and reduce road noise. There is something in the US called a "Panzer Plate" which is made out of aluminium and replaces the plastic panel - this does offer an element of sump protection.

Is this an automatic or manual Superb? The automatic Superb has two sumps - one which is covered by the plastic plate (engine), and another which isn't (gearbox). The two are sometimes confused by people who have a sense of humor failure after draining their automatic gearbox fluid instead of engine oil and then realising it is a) quite expensive and B) a pain to refill.

Ahh, that explains some of my searching difficulties hahahaha :P I was apparently very lucky with my Octavia.

How about the VW Passat and Audi A4? Since they use the same chassis, shouldn't a plate from either of them work? Or is ther maybe that same problem; no plate at all. EVER! ?

Since I didn't find a thing during my extensice searches last night I'm gonna assume that' correct.

I actually don't want anything to do with aluminum plating under my car. Since I can vreak the aluminum sump, shouldn't I ne able to break the aluminum plating as well just as easily?

The car is automatic and by my fathera account; there's a rather large hole on the engine sump.

After posting about thos on a local Facebook site last night, I found out that the Audi/WV/Skoda dealership here custom made about 30 protective platings/sump guards, one for every Superb in the Police fleet. Yeah the cops here use Skodas, that has to say something about quality, right?

It's maybe possible to get them to make a sump guard to protect both sumps, since I bet most of those cop cars are automatic. I've already sent them an inquiry about it. Will be expecting an answer the first thing tomorrow. I just hope they're steel and at least 2mm thick.

Then I also found this Danish site that's apparently making(?) and selling sump guards for this model. I sent them an inquiry too, don't know when I'll get an answer though.

Link to Danish site: http://www.bertelsen.nu/Sheriff/Skoda_k7139.html

It would appear on closer inspection and with the new information you provided me about the two seperate sumps, that those they are selling aren't conjoined transmission and engine sumps and I'd have to buy them both seperately if I wish to be fully protected.

Is the transmission plating as important as the engine plate? I mean, does the transmission sump stick out as much as the engine sump?

Do steel sump guards weigh much? I, probably stupidly, bought a Superb retrofitted to take both gasoline and Metan gas. So there are 3x 55 liter, 60Kg, gad tanks in my trunk, making that huge ass trunk super small hahaha. That's like 180Kg total. And I weigh around 170Kg. It's like I have myself in the trunk, ALL THE TIME!

180Kg is like two full grown, average, men. So, even if alone, I'm driving with two passangers. And last monday I drove it for the first time with 3 passangers. Lets just say that the fuel consumption was extremely high that day...

I can actually make around 300-350Km with those tanks full of Metan and around 500-600Km on the gas. So combined, it's like 800-950Km all in all. I guess it's not bad, I just wonder what the "milage" would be if I had carbon fiber tanks that weigh 7Kg each max instead of those half an inch thick stainless steel monsters.

Maybe it was a dumb purchade.... Nut the legroom in the passanger seats is amazing!!!!

This is a weird ass word btw. Sump. I've written it so often in the last 24 hours that it's starting to sound weirder than it already is....

Anyways, thanks for the helpful post, my friend. You're a real Supervert!

EDIT: sorry for the typos I'm not gonna fix. This was written hastily on a phone :)

Edited by HalistaX

i think transmission sump is perhaps lower than engine sump, and hence why you can't have the plastic guard over it as standard.

Perhaps in territories with "rough terrain" there is a dealer fit / factory option for stronger plates.  I've never seen them in the UK.

That site you linked answers your question - it lists the additional weight for the metal sump guards.  Doesn't seem too bad, just under 7 kilos for engine bay, which is nothing compared to your gas tanks!  I guess with 2.8V6 you need them...

Passat B5.5 plate might work, but unless you can get it very cheap or free, then perhaps you are better off buying one which you know will fit.

Maybe the aluminium sump guard is a good solution - I guess sheet aluminium has different properties to cast, and in any case a lot of the function is to make the sump "skid" across the obstruction instead of catching on it and tearing a hole.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i think transmission sump is perhaps lower than engine sump, and hence why you can't have the plastic guard over it as standard.

Perhaps in territories with "rough terrain" there is a dealer fit / factory option for stronger plates.  I've never seen them in the UK.

That site you linked answers your question - it lists the additional weight for the metal sump guards.  Doesn't seem too bad, just under 7 kilos for engine bay, which is nothing compared to your gas tanks!  I guess with 2.8V6 you need them...

Passat B5.5 plate might work, but unless you can get it very cheap or free, then perhaps you are better off buying one which you know will fit.

Maybe the aluminium sump guard is a good solution - I guess sheet aluminium has different properties to cast, and in any case a lot of the function is to make the sump "skid" across the obstruction instead of catching on it and tearing a hole.

Thanks for the answer, bro. Sorry for a late reply. I'm dead set on getting a sump guard from the UK. They sell them for real cheap, not as expensive as those Danes.. 

I'm getting a steel ones, transmission and engine. 

I figure since I'm ordering internationally I better go all out while I'm at it... 

I asked the dealershipo about their +1000 dollar price on their plastic sump protectors/skid plates and linked those websites, and they haven't responded yet... That was over a week ago lol... 

Firstly, a minor point of English; "Sump" and "Oil pan" are two different terms for the same object, with sump being more commonly used in UK and Ireland, and oil pan in North America.

Next, the underbody protector you ask about is normally called a "sump guard". I have no idea where you'd get one for a Superb (they're normally used on rally cars, and most currentish rally Skodas are/have been Octavia 1 or Fabia).