ADVICE/INFO: 04/05 Skoda Superb Elegance 2.5 TDI V6. Help!

Hi. I'm looking at purchasing 04/05 Skoda Superb Elegance 2.5 TDI V6. I really like it as I've seen it in a local garage. I don't know much about cars, especially Skodas. I've read mixed views about this engine and car etc. I'm so confused. It's got full service history, I believe and an Auto gearbox. It's done 115k miles. A mechanic mentioned if the double cam let had been done. I don't have a clue what that is and the guy from the garage doesn't know if it's been done as there's no receipts. Also, it's had some electric issues that has led to it losing power. The garage is repairing that as apparently it's not a major issue.

Please advise me this vehicle. Should I go for it or not? Are they good cars/engines? If I do, then what should I make sure of or watch out for?

Thanks

I have to agree - a 2.5 with a VP44 self-destructing pump, an auto box with a self-destructing reverse clutch drum and wet/corroded electrics is definitely not my idea of a good buy - at any price (or even a gift).

A 1.9 PD 5 speed manual with dry electrics is the way to go - but not many good ones left as most have been cabbed to death.

rotodiesel.

You need to check water ingriss!! Its sticked on forum!! Read it very carefuly!! That is problem on Skodas and passats, no metter if its 1.9 or 2.5...

I do know one thing do-do not buy 2.0!! Ever.

My view on the engine is having spent many years working on them (I wouldn't volunteer to) nothing is nice to do on it except maybe an oil change. The pump is the most fragile thing going, easy to break and Lord help you should you have to replace it. Not only the cost but the headache trying to program the damn thing let alone bleed it out. Cambelts are a lot of work, way more than it should be on any engine, I've seen simpler timing chains. Oil ****es out everywhere, cam covers, crank seals, cam seals you name it.

And as Rotodiesel says that box is made of chocolate.

• Like 1

I saw an Edition 100 2.5V6 auto in the auction recently, only had about 115K miles on it.  I was tempted (I know, supposed to be moving on...!) until I saw it had all the usual faults, plus the engine didn't sound that good and there was quite a lot of oil leaking into the under tray - I didn't realise that was a common 2.5 issue @tech1e so thanks for the info.

It had had a recent full belt job - which cost the owner well over £800.  I guess it then started leaving oil on their driveway and they decided to cut their losses and chop it in...

I'm really confused. I really like the car. It's got loads of toys for the price. Also, I've got a 2005 Zafira DTI SRI at the moment that I'm trading in. It's done 140,000. Also, I'm bored of it.

I'm not sure it is that confusing.

It looks from the photo that the passenger side mat has a large water mark on it, which would indicate it has had standing water... welcome to a world of electrical pain.  Definitely  not something you want to be involved with.  You'd need to check all the lights work, which can often not be obvious if you don't know the car well and understand how all the lights should operate correctly (puddle lights, interior lights and timers, etc).

At the end of the day I think it is like this - there are undoubtedly owners out there who have this engine and like it... Someone somewhere likes pretty much any car.  You have someone who has worked on them telling you they don't like them.  The only one I've ever seen in the flesh personally was probably being sold because it leaked oil, but it was at auction.  

Add all that up together and it doesn't sound great for this motor (without considering the convenient lack of receipt for the cam belt)...

Edited by jimbof
  • Like 1

I'm really confused. I really like the car. It's got loads of toys for the price. Also, I've got a 2005 Zafira DTI SRI at the moment that I'm trading in. It's done 140,000. Also, I'm bored of it.

NEVER buy a car with a fault, garage might try to fix it but if they can't then you're stuck with it.

It was a good engine when new but that was a long time ago. Best to avoid now...too many problems.

Right, the 2.5TDI BDG V6 engine is the worst engine ever, say the owners of 1.9tdi tractors. That is why I have been driving trouble free a Superb Comfort 2.5TDI V6 manual for the last 157k miles for 10 years from new now, and that it is exactly why I intend to sink some serious £££s into new suspension, injectors and headlamps quite soon. YMMV.

Put simply, the later 163bhp 2.5V6  BDG engine has fixes for all faults of previous engines (oil lubrication, valve train), still provides lower fuel consumption than the the last 2 decades of diesel 4-pots above 110mph / Autobahn,

and was built for serious motorway mile munching.

I agree with all other points about not buying neglected cars with failures, but if you want motorway comfort, durability and relative fuel economy/range at high speeds, 2.5 V6 is the one to have. I would not get the auto box though.

I test drove Mk3 Superb recently, and it is worse for wind and tyre noise than my 10 yr old Mk1. I might still buy it (ca £25k) when my Mk1 gives up the ghost, but the adequate replacements are in Audi A6/A7 guise, with cost from £40k upwards for equivalent performance, and £50k+ for something genuinely better in most aspects. Against this background, sinking even £5k into an old Superb sounds like a bargain.

• Like 2

I loved my 2.5 V6, and having had 1.9's before, they are a great engine.  But they're not a V6.  People can talk 'til they're blue in the face about their weak points and areas of failure, or how difficult they are to work on, but that wasn't my experience.  Mine was an auto too, although I was lucky and the box was good as gold in my ownership.

I've done a few long journeys in the Octavia now, and while it's a great car, it's nowhere near as composed or comfortable as the Mk1 Superb.  I'd buy another.  Heck, if my one came up for sale I'd be seriously tempted to buy it back.

The trick is finding a good 'un and I expect they're a rare commodity these days.

Gaz

• Like 1

Hell yea!! Thats my boys!! I also have 2.5 and Im proud of my v6!! Cant find anything near as good as my Mk1, so literaly I cant imagine rreplacing hear in near future(or just future)