Boot Light

Hi

I have the usual problem of the boot light not working in my 2006 1.2 HTP.

I have read about the issues with the mirco switch in the lock unit, but rather than replace that, has anybody just taken a live feed from somewhere else to make the light work and if so, which one.

I was thinking the above and adding a rocker switch so I can manually turn the light on if I cannot get it to work automatically as if should normally.

I have a battery lamp at the moment but wanted to get this sorted before the dark nights start coming in.

I have looked online but that seems to be more about tapping in LED strips onto the original power source, which I presume I don't have.

Many thanks for any tips.

Martin

Hi

I have the usual problem of the boot light not working in my 2006 1.2 HTP.

I have read about the issues with the mirco switch in the lock unit, but rather than replace that, has anybody just taken a live feed from somewhere else to make the light work and if so, which one.

I was thinking the above and adding a rocker switch so I can manually turn the light on if I cannot get it to work automatically as if should normally.

I have a battery lamp at the moment but wanted to get this sorted before the dark nights start coming in.

I have looked online but that seems to be more about tapping in LED strips onto the original power source, which I presume I don't have.

Many thanks for any tips.

Martin

The microswitch within the lock switches the earth connection to the boot light, rather than the 12V.

So if you want to wire in a manual switch, all you need to do is connect one side of your switch to some nearby bodywork, the other to the non-12V side of the light (the brown/green wire). You will leave yourself vulnerable to accidentally leaving it on if you do this though.

Edited by Wino

Thanks for the replies, Wino your explanation is great, just needed somebody with the know how to explain it in a way I can understand. As you said, I just need to get in the habit of double checking I turn it off.

I just thought this might be easier than changing the whole lock.

Martin

I fitted a rocker switch to mine to turn it on and off manually. Also fitted an extra light on the other side.

SS857690.jpg

67865678.jpg

SS858598.jpg

All you do is cut the brown/green wire at the plug for the light and leave enough wire on the plug to join a wire to it and run it to your switch. Run the other side of the switch to earth.

Edited by TMB

You will leave yourself vulnerable to accidentally leaving it on if you do this though.

That's true but the convenience unit turns the light off after about 30 mins if you accidentally leave it on. Don't ask me how I found this out :D

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

Thanks for that TMB, will probably add a second light as well, sounds simple enough.

I will get a switch and a second light during the week and get it fixed.

Thanks again everyone.

Martin

Just want to check something.

When I have cut the green/brown wire and attach it to the switch, do I do anything with the remaining green/brown wire?

I now know the light works as I have tested the light unit itself but just want to get the wiring right first time.

Also do I need a three way rocker switch or will a two way be OK.

Many thanks

Just tape up the brown/green wire that is still attached to the harness.

Single pole switch (2 terminals). I used an old one off an electric fire.

Edited by TMB

Brilliant, just tried that but the light did not work, that's why I thought best check.

Will have another go later on.

Thanks again

Martin

Have you checked that the 12V feed is present at the other end of the bulb holder?

• Like 1

You can see where I cut the brown/green wire at the plug, leaving enough to connect some wire too. I connected the wire (I just used random brown wire) to it and ran it to the switch (I wanted the switch on the right-hand side of the car, so I had to remove rear boot trim etc). Take the other terminal of the switch to earth on the body. I soldered all connections except spades at switch.

The other brown wire coming from the red at the plug is live to the second boot light.

3445577.png

Edited by TMB

Thanks so much for the picture, still not working so I think there must be an issue somewhere else, all other internal lights work though.

Will have to have a another look

No live at the red/black wire, which is probably why it was not working in the first place.

I may just have to run the feed from another live feed, not a big issue at the moment but would be nice to get sorted before winter.

Thanks for all the help though.

Martin

Checked again tonight and it appears there is no live feed at all so putting in a switch in this instance will not work.

Looks like I will have to run a live feed from the fuse box and use a switch this way.

I will have a think or just stick with my battery light.

I have checked the fuse and all the other connected lights work, I assume there must be a break somewhere.

You will have to run another live from somewhere. Not sure where would be best. How about the cigar lighter? You would need an inline fuse as the cigar one is too heavy for a light.

Edited by TMB

Thanks DB, I did look at that and the light did work when I tested it, but I assumed I would have to put the lights on for it to work, using a switch as well of course.

Pick up a live feed from one of the rear light clusters.

DB.

Don't think there is a permanent live at the clusters.