Skoda only dismantlers?

I picked up a passenger window glass from a 2010 twindoor from a breakers in Ireland today so they might be worth a try if you can't find anyone locally. Google Bob Sweeney Castleconnell, Limerick for the number. My car was broken into while parked in a forest in the middle of nowhere while I was biking last Friday :(... The biggest cost has been more than halved by finding second hand glass. The 3 hours I spent on Saturday vacuuming (Hopefully) all the bits of glass out of the door is time I'll never get back though :(.

I picked up a passenger window glass from a 2010 twindoor from a breakers in Ireland today so they might be worth a try if you can't find anyone locally. Google Bob Sweeney Castleconnell, Limerick for the number. My car was broken into while parked in a forest in the middle of nowhere while I was biking last Friday :(... The biggest cost has been more than halved by finding second hand glass. The 3 hours I spent on Saturday vacuuming (Hopefully) all the bits of glass out of the door is time I'll never get back though :(.

Deepest condolences

there are to55ers everywhere

• Like 1

psycholist, on 22 Aug 2016 - 17:19, said:psycholist, on 22 Aug 2016 - 17:19, said:

Sorry to hear it - hope you didn't lose any valuables as well. Which area was it? I take the dogs out to a lot of woods around Clare and Limerick but have been fortunate so far. I had two windows smashed on  previous car and I feel your pain. I was still finding glass weeks months later. Eventually I wrapped my hand in duct tape and felt around all the crevices to get rid of it. that worked!

I lived in Wicklow until 4 years ago. Car break ins at the woodland walk etc. spots were so bad for awhile that we used to leave our doors unlocked and our gloveboxes / boot covers open. If the car was left locked then they just smashed everything to get in. When it was open, they would check it and then usually leave it alone. Any sign of a suction mount for a SatNav or smartphone and the crowbars would be out and into the gloveboxes, boot etc.

There's a special place in hell where Satan crushes the nuts of these w*****s. After roasting and salting them, of course.

Edited by TheRobinK
  • Like 1

The spare wheel kits are on eBay all the time.... I picked mine up for £50 with around 100 miles use on it.... Was a couple of years old when I got it.

I remember at the time there were another couple going with other sellers.... The others both ended up at around £60-80.

Edited by WaveyDavey

I can get the wheel change kit (holder/jack/etc) from Skoda £41 so thats not an issue

need a spare wheel though

The Skoda spare wheel is sensible enough money from the dealer tbh. Otherwise, go with WaveyDavey's suggestion and trawl eBay for it.

what size tyre is on a spacesaver? not a 205/55x16?/

Skoda's "spacesaver" is a 205/55 R16 94V. It's smaller than the 17" or 18" wheel/tyre options so it's technically space saving but it's still a conventional wheel/tyre.

The £41 price is without the wheel and tyre though. The price for the full kit is around £130 last time I looked. That is what I paid £50 for.... The full kit including the wheel and tyre. ;)

Edited by WaveyDavey

Sorry to hear it - hope you didn't lose any valuables as well. Which area was it? I take the dogs out to a lot of woods around Clare and Limerick but have been fortunate so far. I had two windows smashed on  previous car and I feel your pain. I was still finding glass weeks months later. Eventually I wrapped my hand in duct tape and felt around all the crevices to get rid of it. that worked!

I lived in Wicklow until 4 years ago. Car break ins at the woodland walk etc. spots were so bad for awhile that we used to leave our doors unlocked and our gloveboxes / boot covers open. If the car was left locked then they just smashed everything to get in. When it was open, they would check it and then usually leave it alone. Any sign of a suction mount for a SatNav or smartphone and the crowbars would be out and into the gloveboxes, boot etc.

There's a special place in hell where Satan crushes the nuts of these w*****s. After roasting and salting them, of course.

It was in the Ballinaboola car park in the Ballyhouras on the Cork Limerick border. Mine was the only car parked there when I left it, but quite a few people pass through. The official trail head is the only one with any security in terms of CCTV, but it's the first time in 15+ years of parking in the middle of nowhere that it's happened to me. The value of what was taken adds up to less than the window replacement and I won't bother claiming that on insurance as it's less than my excess anyway. Officially claiming on glass doesn't affect my no claims bonus, but the insurance company still put a note that a claim was made on the no-claims cert so you can't hop insurer without the next one screwing you for it anyway, while my current insurer will take the cost of paying out back with the next premium hike, so it's a question of paying a known amount now or an inflated amount later...

It was in the Ballinaboola car park in the Ballyhouras on the Cork Limerick border. Mine was the only car parked there when I left it, but quite a few people pass through. The official trail head is the only one with any security in terms of CCTV, but it's the first time in 15+ years of parking in the middle of nowhere that it's happened to me. The value of what was taken adds up to less than the window replacement and I won't bother claiming that on insurance as it's less than my excess anyway. Officially claiming on glass doesn't affect my no claims bonus, but the insurance company still put a note that a claim was made on the no-claims cert so you can't hop insurer without the next one screwing you for it anyway, while my current insurer will take the cost of paying out back with the next premium hike, so it's a question of paying a known amount now or an inflated amount later...

I know it - nice spot - stopped there awhile back. I wouldn't have expected trouble parking in that area either. 

I hear you on the auto glass. I was getting quotes on house insurance earlier this month and one of the providers asked if I had any claims on my car insurance, including "free" glass cover claims. Any damned excuse with them, isn't it?

The £41 price is without the wheel and tyre though. The price for the full kit is around £130 last time I looked. That is what I paid £50 for.... The full kit including the wheel and tyre. ;)

forgot i need the thing/handle/swivel that screws the wheel kit into the wheel well...

forgot i need the thing/handle/swivel that screws the wheel kit into the wheel well...

Yep that came with mine. ;)

As I say mine was the full spare kit that I was quoted something like £130-140 by the dealer but I paid £50. There were a few at the time on eBay that ended up going for prices less than half of the price of a new kit.

Once the car goes I'll just sell it on and more than likely get all my money back.

A quick look has just found this one on there at the moment.... More than what I paid but I kept watching for a few weeks till the one I got turned up..... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152193333569

Edited by WaveyDavey

Yep that came with mine. ;)

As I say mine was the full spare kit that I was quoted something like £130-140 by the dealer but I paid £50. There were a few at the time on eBay that ended up going for prices less than half of the price of a new kit.

Once the car goes I'll just sell it on and more than likely get all my money back.

A quick look has just found this one on there at the moment.... More than what I paid but I kept watching for a few weeks till the one I got turned up..... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152193333569

thats 15 inch though

If its needed quick then I think you'll have to bite the bullet and pay the £130 or so from the dealer..... You could at least get some of the money back when you sell the car on by selling the spare wheel kit separately.

As I had the inflation kit in the car I wasn't in a rush so kept looking.... Think it took me a couple or three weeks etc.....

Edited by WaveyDavey