Octavia VRS TFSi Light load misfire between 1800-200rpm

Hey,  Have had my octavia around 2 months now and am loving it.....Mostly.  The car is a standard 2010 VRS CCZA, bar a few little exterior tweaks and the addition of an ITG panel filter.  Ever since i have picked up this car I have felt what i would describe as a very minor flutter or misfire on very light load throttle in any gear and it happens around 1800-2000 rpm.  The car starts and idles fine and revs clean this flutter goes away as you progress through the rev range.  Now i have plugged in my fault code reader, there are no fault codes, zero in the way of misfire detection and obviously with that there is no MIL light.  At first i thought it may just be a slight weird spot in the map being a direct injection engine and that is was maybe a little bit of lambda trimming i was feeling but it seems to be getting a bit more prominent (either that or I'm just getting increasingly more aware of it) Particularly so when i was on the motorway yesterday in 6th gear on very light throttle input.   I don't tend to drive my car hard (Don't feel the need) and spend a lot of my time in 6th gear cruising to and from work I'm averaging 37mpg.  Since owning i have fully serviced it using genuine VAG parts and 5W30 fully synth Mobil 1, the only thing i didn't replace was the fuel filter.  I'm pretty au fau with all things engines and in particular GDI engines as I have a lot to do with them through work which may be why i'm more sensitive to it?! Im starting to think that maybe i should start checking around all my vac hose pipe work for any slight air leaks as that would cause a similar issue?! Just wanted to put a shout out here and see if its anything anyone else has noticed/suffered?  

Would love to hear anybodies thoughts on the matter!

Edited by F1BTCC

When you did the recent service, did you replace plugs? Was a difference noticed after that? I haven't yet done my fuel filter but I have one at the ready. Apparently there pretty dirty after 5 years. Worth a try - you might as well eliminate the easy and relatively inexpensive consumable type items first.

I did replace the spark plugs and the problem didn't seem to change any.  You're right on the fuel filter front and it is something i will do, i know fuel pressure is critical on these engines but if the filter was blocked as such then the problem would be more apparent a high demand as it would affect the flow.  As you say well worth ruling it out though!

I've got a similar issue on my BWA engined vrs although it's slightly higher revs (2-2.5k).

I've put it down to the inlet valves being coked up. I put some wynns egr cleaner through the inlet air temp sensor hole and it has certainly helped but I'll be removing the manifold in the next couple of weeks to clean them properly.

There wasn't any oil on the spark plugs when i removed them however i did notice a little bit of a sweaty patch at the front of the cam cover.  Cleaned it up with the mind to check it again but forgot!!!

Tonight i connected my VagCom and took the car out to do some datalogging, monitored all of the obvious parameters with no obvious signs coming from anywhere, starting to think I'm imagining it lol!  Interestingly i did notice that the hesitation seems to come on at exactly the same time the instrument cluster starts asking for an up shift.......Every single time?!  

• 4 years later...
On 11/02/2021 at 06:07, MetalMedic said:

Bump an old thread! Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem :(

I've replaced coilpacks, fuel filter, spark plugs and air filter

For me It's likely the injectors not spraying well/intake being coked up. 

• Like 1