Noise from boot driving me insane

My estate has an annoying noise coming from the rear and I believe it is internal.

Have placed a cloth or 3 on the wheel kit to make sure it is not that, but I am at a loss as to what else it could be.

Have removed all the bits in the side cubbies to make sure it isn't that. It isn't a rattle, more a clunk and not over all bumps. I find myself listening to music louder so that I don't have to hear it.

Anyone had this issue and care to share what theirs was please? 

Check exhaust/heat shield isn't loose.

I had an annoying clunk now and again, turned out to be a knackered rear damper, you could feel a clunk when you stroked it manually.

Not a big job to unbolt the bottom and give it a good heave ho to check for consistent smooth strokes.

Remove everything from the rear of the car ;rear parcel shelf, spare wheel, tools, everything from the cubbies, cubby covers, anything in the rear arm rest, door pockets etcetera.

Get someone to drive the car on a Road where you hear the noise, whilst you sit in the back recording the noise on your phone and see if you can pin point it.

Once you've pinpointed the noise and it's in a location you cannot access yourself, take the car as is to a trusted mechanic, play back the recording and point the location you think the nose is coming from and take it from there.

Thanks everyone. My next port of call was to strip the thing. 

Will also check all the other bits you have mentioned and failing that, get the wife to take it to work and get their vag guy to have a look over it

Mine was a broken spring but not very loud and intermittent. Not always on bumps or corners as well.

had one of them, offside rear was replaced 2 months ago, fingers crossed it is not the other!

It's not internal. Pushing down on the boot, offside only and I get a noise, loud enough to be heard on the phone so video has been sent to wife who is at her garage today to see what they say. It is the same side as the replaced spring 

It's not internal. Pushing down on the boot, offside only and I get a noise, loud enough to be heard on the phone so video has been sent to wife who is at her garage today to see what they say. It is the same side as the replaced spring 

AH!!! That makes me wonder about a missing or misplaced seat pad (bottom end).

Still nothing from the wife, can they not drop the full paying customer jobs and check mine??

Wrong time of year. They are doing pdi on new cars for the new plates and refurbishing demonstrator cars to shift them before the end of the month.

I found this out when my water pump failed 10 days ago. It took them 6 days to replace the pump and timing belt for these very reasons. Still, I did get a courtesy car.

They won't do that? Disgraceful,  name and shame them.... 

hehe

Wrong time of year. They are doing pdi on new cars for the new plates and refurbishing demonstrator cars to shift them before the end of the month.

I found this out when my water pump failed 10 days ago. It took them 6 days to replace the pump and timing belt for these very reasons. Still, I did get a courtesy car.

Oh god, it's not at a stealers. My wife works at an independant 

If it's not been mentioned already, my money is on the tailgate stops needing adjustment.

Open the boot and you will see two black rubber stops at either end of the tailgate. Unscrew them half a turn and see if that has any positive effect.

• Like 1

If it's not been mentioned already, my money is on the tailgate stops needing adjustment.

Open the boot and you will see two black rubber stops at either end of the tailgate. Unscrew them half a turn and see if that has any positive effect.

I'd not thought of that, but IME if those stops need adjusting then the gate sits slightly low relative to the D posts.

You know what, that is a really good shout. I know what I will be doing tonight  :thumbup:

Thats is exactly what happened on my hatch I was going mad and bonkers at the same time!