How to split the headlights

Hi, I have a 2011 fabia vrs and it has the chrome headlight backing. I want it black and I don't really want to fork out a couple of hundred quid for new headlights. So i was wondering if anyone knows we're I might find a decent step by step quide to splitting the headlight and removing the backing, so I can paint them.

Or do you think it best I take it to a body shop and ask them ? Cause I don't really want to break my headlights.

I also have the chrome grill surround and was wondering how easy that is to remove as I want to either paint that or wrap it, which ever looks best.

There's the grille surround info: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/203496-monte-carlo-grill-mod-fitted/ . The top part is easy to remove; the bottom part is very difficult - it might be easier to get a new one than try to reuse the existing one.

As for the lights, I can't help you other than to suggest you use paint that can take the heat.

Edited by OzFabia

The lights are Permasealed shut and are not designed to be opened and painted like cars a few years ago.

I have done one set and its not easy, the light unit was damaged badly at the back and the other light was damaged quite alot around the plastic.