Exhaust questions

I know this has been covered before in some ways, but I haven't found the info I'm really after.

I am going to get a cat back system for the Octavia as the OEM system is so quiet.  My last car was a Vectra VXR which came with a Remus stainless system as standard.  This had a lovely rumble and on startup was enough to rattle windows and on occasion set off sensitive car alarms.  The Mrs and kids knew I was home way before they saw me as they could hear me at the end of the street. I miss this very much and crave a bit more noise from the car.

As much as I love the Octavia it is just too damned quiet.  I've read countless posts about the Milltek resonated & non-resonated and the general consensus is that the non-resonated is too loud for every day use.  Having said that, the resonated sounds to be not much more vocal than the standard system and it seems an expensive way to gain a little bit more sound.

The system on the Vectra was also very good when cruising on the motorway and struck a brilliant balance between being loud when needed, understated when needed and had a great rumble on idle.  I know that the Vectra was a turbo V6 so will inevitably sound better than a four pot but I am wanting some further info on what the options are.

We had a custom stainless system made for our other car by a local chap which sounds amazing but he ain't cheap.  If there was an off the shelf option I'd prefer so all opinions are welcome folks.

Cheers,

Andrew.

p.s. I've trawled You Tube and found a few videos but inevitably they don't give me too much of an idea due to the quality of the sound.  

i've read some good things about jetex exhausts for these cars and they can be had for a little cheaper than the milltek non res I think.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/245956-any-opinions-jetex-cat-back-vrs-tsi/

looks like a happy compromise between the non res and resonated milltek

• Like 1

I'm glad you have posted this, as I am in exactly the same place as you.  I cannot decide what to get and whether to go res or non res.  Hopefully there will be a fair few opinions on the matter

• Like 1

The bcs stuff gets great reviews and the power valve system sounds like a great idea.

http://www.powervalve.co.uk/

Their stuff certainly looks great and from the videos.  It's a shame they a 260 mile round trip as it's be good to pop in and see what they could do for the Octavia.

John's hybrid powered mk2 runs a 3" sport system of theirs and it does sound well. He has a project thread on here somewhere.

It is a true 3" system and doesn't step down sizes over the rear axle like some, maybe worth a call to see if there's any of the shelf but I'm sure I've seen them advertised on ebay too

The powervalve stuff looks awesome, but very expensive at the same time.  I have decided i'm going to pop to a place we deal with locally through work and seek to them about making me an exhaust.  They have been going for many years and the company is called Custom Chrome racing, we use them a lot for our development work, generally supply of parts but I've seen some of their creations and they are top notch, so hoping they can do me a good price?!  They certainly know their stuff and I get on with them well will let you know what they say once i've popped down. 

• Like 1

If anyone has a spare mk2 vRS standard back box, let me know. Mine is making farting noise on lift-off when warmed up... We couldn't find out what it is, other than something inside resonator/back box. And I don't feel like shelling out for a new exhaust just to find out it wasn't the issue.. Thanks ;-)

Get the BCS system. If you look on my previous posts you will see they used my old Octy mk2 to make the prototype. Awesome exhaust with excellent build quality.

• Like 1

If anyone has a spare mk2 vRS standard back box, let me know. Mine is making farting noise on lift-off when warmed up... We couldn't find out what it is, other than something inside resonator/back box. And I don't feel like shelling out for a new exhaust just to find out it wasn't the issue.. Thanks ;-)

That could be a issue as the original stock exhaust is all one piece up to the sleeve on the cat,to remove it in one piece you would have to dismantle a chunk of the rear suspension to get it out in one piece so most like me will just cut the old system off to remove it. 

That could be a issue as the original stock exhaust is all one piece up to the sleeve on the cat,to remove it in one piece you would have to dismantle a chunk of the rear suspension to get it out in one piece so most like me will just cut the old system off to remove it. 

Oh damn I didn't know it's in one piece, thank You for the info.. That could explain the high price tag on OEM one (if it comes in one piece too)... Sure it would make it more awkward, but there should be some kind of clamps/joint which I could use to hold it together? Probably a better idea than welding a thin metal I suppose...

Is any type of aftermarket exhaust classed as modification in insurance company's eyes even if it is direct replacement? I am not sure how to go about the annoying sound it makes..

Oh damn I didn't know it's in one piece, thank You for the info.. That could explain the high price tag on OEM one (if it comes in one piece too)... Sure it would make it more awkward, but there should be some kind of clamps/joint which I could use to hold it together? Probably a better idea than welding a thin metal I suppose...

Is any type of aftermarket exhaust classed as modification in insurance company's eyes even if it is direct replacement? I am not sure how to go about the annoying sound it makes..

All the OE exhausts are one piece from cat back. If you replace one you cut it in the appropriate place and use a sleeve.

Also worth a shout is Tony banks in Leeds (I think) hear nothing but good things about these and there all custom made

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I've just done a bit of Googling and people have good things to say about him.

• Like 1

I agree with Trevor, the non res milltek is loud enough to have a deep growl over 3k revs and not too boomy on the motorway.

I've got a decat downpipe to fit but I'm a bit worried it'll be too loud so might get a sport cat welded in.

• Like 1

Also worth a shout is Tony banks in Leeds (I think) hear nothing but good things about these and there all custom made

Just to update on this, I've had a reply from Tony Banks and it seems like they might be the way forward.  The quote for a turbo back system is about £600 all in and they allow you to choose how loud you want the exhaust, plus there are quite a few options when it comes to the tail pipes.  The cat back system is £300.

• Like 2